Energy shield

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

Hi,

I tried to get a better understanding of energy shield, yet I'm slightly
confused.

As sorceress gets 2 life per point in vit and 2 mana per point in
energy. On this basis it's completely equal.

Without points in telekinesis, energy shield will reduce mana by 2
points for each damage point. Also energy shield is applied before
resistances.

It seems I'm better off spending my attribute point on vitality, because
I get 2 life per point as I get 2 mana per point of energy, but energy
shield will make damage reduce at least twice as much mana than the
direct damage would reduce life.

Putting 20 points in telekinesis to get around the 2*damage penalty for
ES seems to be a big drawback, these points miss on the offensive spells
and still not efficient, since ES mana reduction is based on unresisted
damage?

There must be something wrong here. Many sorceresses use energy shield,
many players advice the use of energy shield.

What's wrong with my calculation? Why is energy shield better than
spending attribute points on life directly?

--
c.u. Hajo
23 answers Last reply

    Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I tried to get a better understanding of energy shield, yet I'm
    slightly
    > confused.
    >
    > As sorceress gets 2 life per point in vit and 2 mana per point in
    > energy. On this basis it's completely equal.
    >
    > Without points in telekinesis, energy shield will reduce mana by 2
    > points for each damage point. Also energy shield is applied before
    > resistances.
    >
    > It seems I'm better off spending my attribute point on vitality,
    because
    > I get 2 life per point as I get 2 mana per point of energy, but
    energy
    > shield will make damage reduce at least twice as much mana than the
    > direct damage would reduce life.
    >
    > Putting 20 points in telekinesis to get around the 2*damage penalty
    for
    > ES seems to be a big drawback, these points miss on the offensive
    spells
    > and still not efficient, since ES mana reduction is based on
    unresisted
    > damage?
    >
    > There must be something wrong here. Many sorceresses use energy
    shield,
    > many players advice the use of energy shield.
    >
    > What's wrong with my calculation? Why is energy shield better than
    > spending attribute points on life directly?

    Ah, but you are missing a HUGE factor here. Your life is equal to your
    VIT*2. Your mana is equal to your (ENERGY*2 + mana items)* (items with
    +%mana. Without too much difficulty, a sorc can get her mana to well
    over 3k. For example:

    You wear 2 SOJs (+50% to max mana), frosties (+40% to max mana) a sprit
    shield (+100 to mana, average) a HoTo (+15% to max mana) and an
    Arachnids (+5%).

    You cannot begin to get near 3000 life.

    Max - Who listens well when Mickey teaches :)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    > Max wrote::
    >
    > > Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > >>Why is energy shield better than
    > >>spending attribute points on life directly?
    > >
    > > Ah, but you are missing a HUGE factor here. Your life is equal to
    your
    > > VIT*2. Your mana is equal to your (ENERGY*2 + mana items)* (items
    with
    > > +%mana. Without too much difficulty, a sorc can get her mana to
    well
    > > over 3k. For example:
    > >
    > > You wear 2 SOJs (+50% to max mana), frosties (+40% to max mana) a
    sprit
    > > shield (+100 to mana, average) a HoTo (+15% to max mana) and an
    > > Arachnids (+5%).
    > >
    > > You cannot begin to get near 3000 life.
    >
    > "Without too much difficulty". This very nicely said :)
    > Some day I'll ask for something difficult.
    >
    > But I see your point: It's easier to get huge bonueses to man than it
    is
    > to get bonuses to life?

    MUCH easier. Just look at rings and ammys as an example. You can get
    rings or amulets with well over 100 mana, but no where near that much
    life.

    > (I never had a SOJ, let alone a HoTo or Arachnids, but Frosties I
    have
    > and a Spirit shield I could probaly get somehow if I want one - I
    don't
    > want becuase of the STR requirements).
    >
    > What do you think, is a non-synergised, low-level ES useful? I could
    > spend a point or two on ES, but not much more.

    Well, it will always have one point in TK just to get to ES, and then
    all the +skills items will take you to at least level 12 or 13. This is
    more than enough if you have good resists.

    > My Mana:Life is currently something like 730:550 or so, if this is
    > important for the answer.

    I know that Mickey's rocket has life around 650 and mana in excess of
    3k. If there is a nice friendly barb around with a large BO, his sorc
    is ismply unkillable. I have watched him blow away the throne room solo
    in an 8 player hell game in about 3 or 4 minutes with her. What is
    really amazing is how fast she eats up burning souls, gloams and other
    lightning puking ghosts.

    Max

    > > Max - Who listens well when Mickey teaches :)
    >
    > --
    > c.u. Hajo
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Max wrote::

    > Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

    [...]

    >>Why is energy shield better than
    >>spending attribute points on life directly?
    >
    > Ah, but you are missing a HUGE factor here. Your life is equal to your
    > VIT*2. Your mana is equal to your (ENERGY*2 + mana items)* (items with
    > +%mana. Without too much difficulty, a sorc can get her mana to well
    > over 3k. For example:
    >
    > You wear 2 SOJs (+50% to max mana), frosties (+40% to max mana) a sprit
    > shield (+100 to mana, average) a HoTo (+15% to max mana) and an
    > Arachnids (+5%).
    >
    > You cannot begin to get near 3000 life.

    "Without too much difficulty". This very nicely said :)
    Some day I'll ask for something difficult.

    But I see your point: It's easier to get huge bonueses to man than it is
    to get bonuses to life?

    (I never had a SOJ, let alone a HoTo or Arachnids, but Frosties I have
    and a Spirit shield I could probaly get somehow if I want one - I don't
    want becuase of the STR requirements).

    What do you think, is a non-synergised, low-level ES useful? I could
    spend a point or two on ES, but not much more.

    My Mana:Life is currently something like 730:550 or so, if this is
    important for the answer.

    > Max - Who listens well when Mickey teaches :)

    --
    c.u. Hajo
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    "Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message

    > What do you think, is a non-synergised, low-level ES useful? I could spend
    > a point or two on ES, but not much more.

    My opinion:
    If you have good gear, use Energy Shield.
    If you're playing HC, do not use Energy Shield.

    Regards-
    Mark

    Bongo-Fury
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    In article <d5ssml$rc3$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
    Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

    >I tried to get a better understanding of energy shield, yet I'm slightly
    >confused.
    >
    >As sorceress gets 2 life per point in vit and 2 mana per point in
    >energy. On this basis it's completely equal.

    I thought a sorc get 3 mana per point in ene?

    [Rest snipped, interesting questions, looking forward to the reactions]

    Regards,

    Patrick.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

    > In article <d5ssml$rc3$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
    > Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
    >

    >>I tried to get a better understanding of energy shield, yet I'm slightly
    >>confused.
    >>
    >>As sorceress gets 2 life per point in vit and 2 mana per point in
    >>energy. On this basis it's completely equal.
    >
    > I thought a sorc get 3 mana per point in ene?

    I've used this as reference:
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/classes/sorceress.shtml

    Arreat summit had some errors, but I hope they got the basics right :)

    Sorceress gets 2 mana per level but only 1 life that might make a
    difference for high level chars.

    > [Rest snipped, interesting questions, looking forward to the reactions]

    Me too :)

    --
    c.u. Hajo
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    In article <1115819876.694528.185930@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Max <maxterry@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

    >> What do you think, is a non-synergised, low-level ES useful? I could
    >> spend a point or two on ES, but not much more.
    >
    >Well, it will always have one point in TK just to get to ES, and then
    >all the +skills items will take you to at least level 12 or 13. This is
    >more than enough if you have good resists.

    In this case, the mana adds a nice buffer to monsters; you just have to
    keep an eye on your mana ball: if it gets low, TP out of there, and gulp
    down some potions.

    >> My Mana:Life is currently something like 730:550 or so, if this is
    >> important for the answer.
    >
    >I know that Mickey's rocket has life around 650 and mana in excess of
    >3k. If there is a nice friendly barb around with a large BO, his sorc
    >is ismply unkillable. I have watched him blow away the throne room solo
    >in an 8 player hell game in about 3 or 4 minutes with her. What is
    >really amazing is how fast she eats up burning souls, gloams and other
    >lightning puking ghosts.

    That sounds impressive, but how do you damage the monsters you mention
    with Nova? Or is this with the Fire Ball?

    What you are implying here is that the RocketSorc in question (to
    summarize: has godly FCR gear, a high BO has been cast, and loads of mana
    regen from equipment + Insight polearm/Prayer Merc) can stand in the
    middle of the Throne Room, be assaulted by the monsters spawned there, and
    can take it's time to kill the monsters...?

    What happens if one of the packs spawns with the mana burn mod? The mana
    ball is almost empty, ES possibly still on, but since no mana is left to
    power it, damage gets passed right through to the life ball. Tricky
    situation, no?

    Does Nova stunlock monsters which are immune to lightning?

    Regards,

    Patrick.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Mark wrote::

    > "Hansjoerg Malthaner" <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote in message
    >
    >>What do you think, is a non-synergised, low-level ES useful? I could spend
    >>a point or two on ES, but not much more.
    >
    > My opinion:
    > If you have good gear, use Energy Shield.
    > If you're playing HC, do not use Energy Shield.

    My gear is average (so I'm told) and I play softcore.
    Now that leaves all options open :)

    --
    c.u. Hajo
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I tried to get a better understanding of energy shield, yet I'm
    slightly
    > confused.

    I think a big part of ES is that DR and MDR come AFTER Energy Shield

    There are a couple of guides/more info over at dii.net...

    http://strategy.diabloii.net/searchcat?cid=39&type=1.10

    or check the amazon basin

    http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/index.php?showtopic=54062

    Well, no build is invulnerable despite what people keep saying, but an
    ES Sorc can get pretty close.

    ES can be pre-buffed so you can put on +3 lighting hat and ammy, and
    then use a +9 "Memory" runeword (+3 inherent, +3 all skills and +3 ES
    from runeword), and get a level 16 ES going. That's ~70% of damage for
    only 1 hard skill point (+the extra couple of you arent a light sorc).

    After that you put on some DR/MDR gear and use some +mana items and you
    are pretty set.

    It's not too hard to get either... Iron Pelt with a Sol, 2 Dwarf Stars,
    String of Ears, circlet (Sol'ed) and ammy of life everlasting. That
    should get you to about 60 DR and 60 MDR. Something hits you with
    damage of about 200 (which is rare, Hell Cow does 120-167). 30% of
    damage gets through your ES, 60 damage. Damage Reduction of 60 means no
    or little life lost. +mana stuff could be spirit sword, frosties,
    lidless, silkweaves. Add an Insight Prayer Merc and you are pretty
    sturdy.

    Problems are with Mana Burn and Poison.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 16:27:24 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

    > [snip]
    > I'm sure there is an explanation - including the option that I'm just a
    > bad player or such.

    You of course to remember to static the hell out of there so you reduces
    monsters lige with 75% ?

    You meet a monster with high fire res you tele right to it, 3 or 4 fast
    static and then a couple of novas, that should take care of most of them.

    --
    Sonni
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Mickey wrote::

    > Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

    >>Don't get me wrong, there is no accusation here. I just notice a big
    >>difference in what I'm told from different people and also between my
    >>own findings and the sucess stories of the other players.

    > The difference is most likely due to items. You need to get your cast
    > rate (not castrate) over 105%, and pump up your skills. If you are only
    > at +8, then you don't have the full suite of items yet.

    *laughs*

    No, surely not. I'm not a powerplayer and much less a powermonger. I
    usuall try to get away with what I find along the path.

    > When I get back
    > online from my hotel room, I will see what I can do to correct that
    > situation.

    Please, don't. My first characters all lived on gifts from kind and
    helpful players. But I think at some point I need to grow up and be able
    to care for myself. I appreciate your offer to help very much, but I got
    so many gifts, that I think it'd wrong to accept more.

    To be honest even on this character almost everything of some value is a
    gift from someone, or at least overly generous return for little helps
    that I could give other players.

    > With the full suite of items, you would have:
    >
    > +3 from weapon
    > +2 from hat
    > +2 from shield
    > +2 from rings
    > +2 from amulet
    > +1 from belt
    > +1 or 2 from armor
    >
    > This would get you to +13 or 14 and, if the gods have smiled on you, +1
    > from anihilus and a few fire or lightning charms as well, which would
    > get you to +15 or so. I cannot overstate the value of these +skills.

    Seeing the jump in power that I got by the additonal +3 skills
    yesterday, I fully agree here. This build lives on the skill boosts.

    I think I'll save the "if the gods have smiled on you" for the truly
    important things in life ;)

    Thank you for the reply! It's good to get the information directly from
    the source :)

    --
    c.u. Hajo
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Sonni Skammelsen wrote::

    > On Wed, 11 May 2005 16:27:24 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    >

    >>[snip]
    >>I'm sure there is an explanation - including the option that I'm just a
    >>bad player or such.
    >
    > You of course to remember to static the hell out of there so you reduces
    > monsters lige with 75% ?

    In nightmare and hell static field only reduces 50% of their life. But I
    use static field.

    > You meet a monster with high fire res you tele right to it, 3 or 4 fast
    > static and then a couple of novas, that should take care of most of them.

    :)

    My nova isn't maxed yet, it currently does ~800 damage in average but
    it's getting better slowly.

    I have now 1 point in energy shield, that's 8 with +skills, and it is a
    real life saver. I think this was what's been missing so far, she's now
    much tougher and easily can get close enough to monsters to use nova
    effectively.

    --
    c.u. Hajo
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    ~misfit~ wrote::

    > Max wrote:
    >
    >>Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

    >>>What's wrong with my calculation? Why is energy shield better than
    >>>spending attribute points on life directly?
    >>
    >>Ah, but you are missing a HUGE factor here. Your life is equal to your
    >>VIT*2. Your mana is equal to your (ENERGY*2 + mana items)* (items with
    >>+%mana. Without too much difficulty, a sorc can get her mana to well
    >>over 3k. For example:
    >>
    >>You cannot begin to get near 3000 life.

    > Not to mention a lot of items increase mana regen rate, another big factor.
    > Then there's Insight..........

    That's the next step. I've got the runes (thanks, Patrick, for the nice
    Sol!) just waiting for a nice 4 socket polearm to drop somewhere.

    Patrick did tests with Insight yesterday, he had a 4 socket Partizan for
    his merc already. He basically said that a prayer merc with an Insight
    polearm plus energy shield = invincible sorceress

    --
    c.u. Hajo
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    LineNoise wrote::

    > With the Rocket's huge mana ball and regen, ES isn't shifting damage into
    > mana drain. It's simply *eliminating* some % of the incoming damage.
    > Because you'll never actually bottom out your mana supply unless something
    > burns you. It's like having 75% DR to all types of damage.

    I must say even in my incomplete build (no Insight stick, only 700 and
    something mana so far) ES turned out to be a major help.

    An Insight stick is next on my list. I've got a normal difficulty prayer
    merc and levelled him to lvl 47 in the past days, still way below me but
    he's catching up fast now. He's slowly turning into a nice, tough
    monster blocker. I'm currently looking for a nice polearm for him to put
    the Insight in.

    > Brian

    c.u.
    Hajo
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    In article <d5uvm4$qtk$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
    Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
    >~misfit~ wrote::
    >
    >> Not to mention a lot of items increase mana regen rate, another big factor.
    >> Then there's Insight..........
    >
    >That's the next step. I've got the runes (thanks, Patrick, for the nice
    >Sol!) just waiting for a nice 4 socket polearm to drop somewhere.

    No problem, happy to be of help. Too bad I haven't found another nice
    polearm yet. But since your merc is currently around level 47, he's not
    helped much by an exceptional 4 socket polearm, you need something of the
    elite class..

    >Patrick did tests with Insight yesterday, he had a 4 socket Partizan for
    >his merc already. He basically said that a prayer merc with an Insight
    >polearm plus energy shield = invincible sorceress

    That's more or less my impression. To elaborate a bit, I finally levelled
    my new sorc's merc to level 27, the lvl req on a Sol, so I put the Insight
    runes in a 4 socket non-ethereal Partizan I'd found earlier. I rolled a
    rather nice Insight: lvl 16 Meditation aura, however, only 205%ED.

    Only then did I notice my lvl 27 merc did not meet the Str requirements of
    the Partizan, but a few minutes later I found a 2 socket Circlet, which I
    filled with 2 Flawless Amethysts and gave to merc. A few seconds after
    that, the merc was the happy wielder of an Insight polearm.

    This helped my baby sorc a lot. This is my new projects, originally
    planned to be a FO/FB sorc, currently using FB only, I haven't decided on
    the 2nd/main skill yet: could be FO as planned, could be Nova, it's a
    tough decision. Anyway, mana regen rate went up quite nicely, but her mana
    pool is still quite small (~205 mana). So I cannot chain cast FB or
    Teleports infinitely, but I can keep it up a LOT longer. Very promising.
    Life regenerates also like crazy.

    I then muled over the Inisght Partizan to her bigger sister, my FO/CL
    sorc. She's using a HF merc. I gave the merc the Insight stick, and went
    out in a normal game. I then proceed with chain-casting a lvl 29 CL, and
    and I did not see any effect on the mana ball. Same goes for chain-TP-ing.
    I cannot bring down the mana ball, even when casting full-out. Nice! And
    this is due to just the Meditation aura, so I cannot even imagina how
    powerful it will be on a Prayer merc.

    However, since I wanted to advance the FB/Mystery sorc a bit, I muled the
    Insight back to her merc.

    When I have some more time, I will put the Insight in the FO/CL sorc
    again, and do some Hell questing. This FO/CL sorc now also has ES, 1
    point, but with +skills it's at around 9 or 10.

    I will also try to acquire a nice 4 socket elite polearm (ethereal would
    be even cooler), and stuff in the Insight runes, and perhaps make that the
    permanent weapon of the FO/CL sorc's merc. However, if I do that, I will
    be losing the Decepify of his current Reaper's Toll, while not gaining the
    Prayer/Insight synergy.

    Anyway, for that last combo, I need an end-game Insight: in an ethereal
    elite polearm.

    So my advice to starting sorc's is: at least make an Insight in a polearm,
    to help out your sorc in het early days (where mana, and the shortage of
    it, is usually the problem). However, keep in mind Insight has a lvl req
    of 27 (due to the Sol), so try to match the polearm with that...

    Regards,

    Patrick.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    chaliban wrote::

    > Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I tried to get a better understanding of energy shield, yet I'm
    >
    > slightly
    >
    >>confused.
    >
    > I think a big part of ES is that DR and MDR come AFTER Energy Shield
    >
    > There are a couple of guides/more info over at dii.net...
    >
    > http://strategy.diabloii.net/searchcat?cid=39&type=1.10
    >
    > or check the amazon basin
    >
    > http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/index.php?showtopic=54062

    Thanks! This is interesting reading :)

    > Well, no build is invulnerable despite what people keep saying, but an
    > ES Sorc can get pretty close.

    Even with my tiny weak level 8 ES that I have now, my sorc became way
    stronger. Before it was like "oops, I'm dead" not it's "oops my mana is
    gone, I should drink one of these blue potions".

    > ES can be pre-buffed so you can put on +3 lighting hat and ammy, and
    > then use a +9 "Memory" runeword (+3 inherent, +3 all skills and +3 ES
    > from runeword), and get a level 16 ES going. That's ~70% of damage for
    > only 1 hard skill point (+the extra couple of you arent a light sorc).

    :)

    Do players really do that for a little extra power? I know I'm way too
    lazy to carry special gear and change equipment just to cast a stronger
    ES (same with all classes that I played and can make use of temporary
    boost on permanent/lasting spells)

    > After that you put on some DR/MDR gear and use some +mana items and you
    > are pretty set.

    I like these sentances :)
    Usually there follow lists of things that are dreams for me, and may
    stay dreams for a while:

    > It's not too hard to get either... Iron Pelt with a Sol, 2 Dwarf Stars,
    > String of Ears, circlet (Sol'ed) and ammy of life everlasting.

    To be honest, I never found a sol so far, the only one that I have is a
    gift, so that I can make an Insight polerarm for my merc. But I'm sure
    once I have (=if I ever get) the things they will be a great help.

    Sorry for the sharp words here. I know you want to give helppfula dvice
    and I'm sure your advice is very good. I'm just ironic because so often
    these lists contain things that I never had and don't expect to get soon.

    > That
    > should get you to about 60 DR and 60 MDR. Something hits you with
    > damage of about 200 (which is rare, Hell Cow does 120-167). 30% of
    > damage gets through your ES, 60 damage. Damage Reduction of 60 means no
    > or little life lost. +mana stuff could be spirit sword, frosties,
    > lidless, silkweaves. Add an Insight Prayer Merc and you are pretty
    > sturdy.

    Insight is in reach. I have a prayer merc, I have the runes and I'm now
    looking out for a good 4 socket polearm.

    > Problems are with Mana Burn and Poison.

    I got mana burned a few times yesterday but survived each of the
    occassions. Maybe this is because I have 600 life in addition to ES?

    Poison is nasty currently. Before the switch of my equipment I had 75%
    poison resist, now 10%. I'm not yet used to deal with that, and I don't
    have an immediate remedy for the weakness. Fire resists is also almost gone.

    --
    c.u. Hajo
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 09:08:52 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

    > Sonni Skammelsen wrote::
    >
    >> On Wed, 11 May 2005 16:27:24 +0200, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    >>

    >>>[snip]
    >>>I'm sure there is an explanation - including the option that I'm just a
    >>>bad player or such.
    >>
    >> You of course to remember to static the hell out of there so you reduces
    >> monsters lige with 75% ?
    >
    > In nightmare and hell static field only reduces 50% of their life. But I
    > use static field.

    You kinda complain about nm, and in nm you reduce with 75% and 50% in hell.
    When you can rule nm you step up to hell :)

    >> You meet a monster with high fire res you tele right to it, 3 or 4 fast
    >> static and then a couple of novas, that should take care of most of
    >> them.
    >
    > :)
    >
    > My nova isn't maxed yet, it currently does ~800 damage in average but it's
    > getting better slowly.

    keep on going :)

    > I have now 1 point in energy shield, that's 8 with +skills, and it is a
    > real life saver. I think this was what's been missing so far, she's now
    > much tougher and easily can get close enough to monsters to use nova
    > effectively.

    Yep it's very good, but it can also be a killer if you get to many bosses
    at once with the wrong mods :)

    --
    Sonni
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    In article <d5vh3i$b79$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
    Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

    [snipping a lot again]

    >I wonder why Blizzard put in this filter or if there is an easier way to
    >join lower difficulty games?

    I presume they wanted to avoid high-level strong characters joining games
    where they just walk around and everything drops dead. Witness my
    summoning teleporting necro two nights ago: everything in NM just fell
    over, nothing hurt him, and I just teleported in the middle of packs to
    have the minions kill them off. Little fun can be had there.

    Anyway, a trick you could do is to buy a 2nd set of D2/LOD, and use
    another NM character on the 2nd computer to see what NM games are open,
    and join those games with the Hell character from the 1st computer.

    That's how I'd do it in any case. :)

    [Snipped a lot, talking about Baal runs]

    >I often say "Let's walk together" when someone tells me "Sorc tele" and
    >I don't feel strong enough. In 9 of 10 games, people really come and
    >help, and even in the rest if I tele a part of the way, get hit and have
    >to flee through a town portal they come and help to continue from there.
    >
    >I admire all pallies, barbarians, druids, assassins and whoever has no
    >teleport for going down there in 8 player games and get through to set
    >up a tp for the rest of the party.

    That's what I found the strangest about Baal runs: you just stand in town,
    waiting until someone opens up a portal to the throne room, you step
    through, blast away, and that's it.

    Especially in Hell, a Baal run by just walking/questing towards Baal can
    be very rewarding: the entire WSK is a lvl85 area, so about anything can
    drop there. I found two IK Armors in my career, both in Hell WSK, and
    numerous other very nice uniques.

    Of course, now that my necro has Enigma, I also should invest some time in
    doing just pure Baal runs: Get army from pindle's garden, optionally kill
    pindle, take WP to WSK2, TP from the Waypoint to the Throne Room, waste
    the 5 waves, waste Baal, next game...

    So much to test, so little time... :)

    Regards,

    Patrick.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

    > In article <d5vh3i$b79$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
    > Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
    >
    > [snipping a lot again]
    >

    >>I wonder why Blizzard put in this filter or if there is an easier way to
    >>join lower difficulty games?
    >
    > I presume they wanted to avoid high-level strong characters joining games
    > where they just walk around and everything drops dead. Witness my
    > summoning teleporting necro two nights ago: everything in NM just fell
    > over, nothing hurt him, and I just teleported in the middle of packs to
    > have the minions kill them off. Little fun can be had there.

    Yes, of course there are limits. You are lvl 94 (?) with very good gear,
    and my sorc is 74 with average/good gear. If I make a mistake, I'm in
    danger.

    Also a sorc can scale the powers better. Your minions just kill, even if
    you want to hold back. If I see that players fight well on their own and
    obviously have fun doing so I can just stays at their side and help a
    little, while in ambushes or difficult situtions I can use the full
    arsenal of the sorc to get them out/through safely.

    But I know what you mean. I don't do normal rushes, my chars are just
    too overpowered for that. This is just like you felt in nightmare.

    > Anyway, a trick you could do is to buy a 2nd set of D2/LOD, and use
    > another NM character on the 2nd computer to see what NM games are open,
    > and join those games with the Hell character from the 1st computer.

    I can log in with a nightmare char, look for games, log out, change char
    and join game by name.

    If I find out it's a bad game I did a pretty complex procedure just for
    nothing. It's much easier with a character that is native to the
    difficulty and can hop from game to game quickly until there is a nice one.

    > [Snipped a lot, talking about Baal runs]
    >
    >>I often say "Let's walk together" when someone tells me "Sorc tele" and
    >>I don't feel strong enough. In 9 of 10 games, people really come and
    >>help, and even in the rest if I tele a part of the way, get hit and have
    >>to flee through a town portal they come and help to continue from there.
    >>
    >>I admire all pallies, barbarians, druids, assassins and whoever has no
    >>teleport for going down there in 8 player games and get through to set
    >>up a tp for the rest of the party.
    >
    > That's what I found the strangest about Baal runs: you just stand in town,
    > waiting until someone opens up a portal to the throne room, you step
    > through, blast away, and that's it.

    In the most pure form you only want the exp. And that's the most
    efficient way to get exp, except for the scout who must fight his way
    down there.

    > Especially in Hell, a Baal run by just walking/questing towards Baal can
    > be very rewarding: the entire WSK is a lvl85 area, so about anything can
    > drop there. I found two IK Armors in my career, both in Hell WSK, and
    > numerous other very nice uniques.

    Yes, same thing but different focus. If you count exp/time this is less
    efficient. If you want items, it's good :)

    > Of course, now that my necro has Enigma, I also should invest some time in
    > doing just pure Baal runs: Get army from pindle's garden, optionally kill
    > pindle, take WP to WSK2, TP from the Waypoint to the Throne Room, waste
    > the 5 waves, waste Baal, next game...

    Unless you want to level fast, this will be a very boring and
    unrewarding excercize.

    Did you notice that you teleported a lot more than I did? Sometimes I
    really was confused and didn't know where to go, you where just about
    everwhere :)

    If I play alone I always walk. Walking is healthy :o)

    --
    c.u. Hajo
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    In article <d5vl35$m71$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
    Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

    >Yes, of course there are limits. You are lvl 94 (?) with very good gear,
    >and my sorc is 74 with average/good gear. If I make a mistake, I'm in
    >danger.

    I know, it was rather skewed comparison; I shouldn't be even near NM with
    a lvl94 summoning necromancer with that gear. Which is why it was probably
    the wrong character to use for observing your RocketSorc. :)

    But then again, teleporting for me on the necro is new, so I want to see
    what it does, in what situation. And if I make a mistake in NM it's a lot
    easier to compensate than in Hell. :)

    >> Anyway, a trick you could do is to buy a 2nd set of D2/LOD, and use
    >> another NM character on the 2nd computer to see what NM games are open,
    >> and join those games with the Hell character from the 1st computer.
    >
    >I can log in with a nightmare char, look for games, log out, change char
    >and join game by name.
    >
    >If I find out it's a bad game I did a pretty complex procedure just for
    >nothing. It's much easier with a character that is native to the
    >difficulty and can hop from game to game quickly until there is a nice one.

    I'm not sure if you can trip the B.Net botting detection systems using
    that; it's usually not wise to login/logout a lot with different
    characters in a short period of time, because then the server think you're
    botting, and ban your ip for something like 5 minutes.

    I noticed this when I was cycling through mules too quickly...

    >> That's what I found the strangest about Baal runs: you just stand in town,
    >> waiting until someone opens up a portal to the throne room, you step
    >> through, blast away, and that's it.
    >
    >In the most pure form you only want the exp. And that's the most
    >efficient way to get exp, except for the scout who must fight his way
    >down there.

    Yes, I'm not saying it a 'bad' thing to do, I know it's quite logical to
    do it that way. I still find it strange; I rather like to go down there
    myself and kick some monster's ass! :)

    >> Of course, now that my necro has Enigma, I also should invest some time in
    >> doing just pure Baal runs: Get army from pindle's garden, optionally kill
    >> pindle, take WP to WSK2, TP from the Waypoint to the Throne Room, waste
    >> the 5 waves, waste Baal, next game...
    >
    >Unless you want to level fast, this will be a very boring and
    >unrewarding excercize.

    Well, Hell Baal, with a nice amount of MF, can drop some very nice thing.
    I found some nice goodies there also... So I won't be doing that for the
    exp (though it will help, I'm nearing 95 now), but I will be doing it for
    the potential of Hell Baal to be able to drop anything in the game...

    >Did you notice that you teleported a lot more than I did? Sometimes I
    >really was confused and didn't know where to go, you where just about
    >everwhere :)
    >
    >If I play alone I always walk. Walking is healthy :o)

    I've walked so much in my D2-career, I'm getting bored of it. ;)
    Especially with the necro, when he didn't have the Enigma, I walked a lot.
    I'm now noticing I teleport all the time with the sorcs, and now also with
    the Necro. Saves time! :) Plus TP is a nice way to regroup The Horde...

    Also, keep in mind I noticed after a while in NM, I was more or less
    invinceble when protected by the Bone Armor and The Horde, so that's why I
    made it a sport to teleport on top of groups of monsters.

    I will _NOT_ be doing crazy stuff like that in Hell, because that could be
    potentially deadly. :)

    Regards,

    Patrick.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    > chaliban wrote::
    >
    > > Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hi,
    > >>
    > >>I tried to get a better understanding of energy shield, yet I'm
    > >
    > > slightly
    > >
    > >>confused.
    > >
    > > I think a big part of ES is that DR and MDR come AFTER Energy
    Shield

    > > There are a couple of guides/more info over at dii.net...
    > >
    > > http://strategy.diabloii.net/searchcat?cid=39&type=1.10
    > >
    > > or check the amazon basin
    > >
    > > http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/index.php?showtopic=54062
    >
    > Thanks! This is interesting reading :)
    >
    > > Well, no build is invulnerable despite what people keep saying, but
    an
    > > ES Sorc can get pretty close.
    >
    > Even with my tiny weak level 8 ES that I have now, my sorc became way

    > stronger. Before it was like "oops, I'm dead" not it's "oops my mana
    is
    > gone, I should drink one of these blue potions".
    >
    > > ES can be pre-buffed so you can put on +3 lighting hat and ammy,
    and
    > > then use a +9 "Memory" runeword (+3 inherent, +3 all skills and +3
    ES
    > > from runeword), and get a level 16 ES going. That's ~70% of damage
    for
    > > only 1 hard skill point (+the extra couple of you arent a light
    sorc).

    > :)
    >
    > Do players really do that for a little extra power? I know I'm way
    too
    > lazy to carry special gear and change equipment just to cast a
    stronger
    > ES (same with all classes that I played and can make use of temporary

    > boost on permanent/lasting spells)

    Well, the difference in say 5% can be fairly big. If you consider that
    an ES Sorc will have a relatively small life bulb. 5% of 200 damage is
    10. Now, an extra 10 DR or MDR can be tough to get once you have all
    your equipment going.

    > > After that you put on some DR/MDR gear and use some +mana items and
    you
    > > are pretty set.
    >
    > I like these sentances :)
    > Usually there follow lists of things that are dreams for me, and may
    > stay dreams for a while:
    >
    > > It's not too hard to get either... Iron Pelt with a Sol, 2 Dwarf
    Stars,
    > > String of Ears, circlet (Sol'ed) and ammy of life everlasting.
    >
    > To be honest, I never found a sol so far, the only one that I have is
    > gift, so that I can make an Insight polerarm for my merc. But I'm
    sure
    > once I have (=if I ever get) the things they will be a great help.
    >
    > Sorry for the sharp words here. I know you want to give helppfula
    dvice
    > and I'm sure your advice is very good. I'm just ironic because so
    often
    > these lists contain things that I never had and don't expect to get
    soon.

    No problem. Although, you should be able to come by a Sol in the not
    too distant future. A few OK NM Countess Runs would get you a Sol or
    two from cubing. I've seen your posts for a while and find it hard to
    believe you have never gotten a Sol.

    hehe, and almost everything I have listed you can get for pgems. The
    circlet and Ammy may be the toughest. That's why I said it shouldn't be
    too hard. Obviously, if you play no-twink for example, it gets a bit
    tougher.

    > Insight is in reach. I have a prayer merc, I have the runes and I'm
    now
    > looking out for a good 4 socket polearm.
    >
    > > Problems are with Mana Burn and Poison.
    >
    > I got mana burned a few times yesterday but survived each of the
    > occassions. Maybe this is because I have 600 life in addition to ES?
    >
    > Poison is nasty currently. Before the switch of my equipment I had
    75%
    > poison resist, now 10%. I'm not yet used to deal with that, and I
    don't
    > have an immediate remedy for the weakness. Fire resists is also
    almost gone.

    Well, if you can get a dwarf star, that will help with Fire Damage. And
    yes, poison is nasty, so maybe get used to carrying around one or two
    antidote potions.

    Good Luck
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    On Wed, 11 May 2005, Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

    >> Does Nova stunlock monsters which are immune to lightning?

    No. They act like you had just stood there picking your nose...

    ....and they're immune to snot.

    er... almost... if they're Lightning Enchanted, they're shower you.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo2,alt.games.diablo (More info?)

    chaliban wrote::

    > Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    >
    >>chaliban wrote::

    >>>ES can be pre-buffed so you can put on +3 lighting hat and ammy,
    >>>and
    >>>then use a +9 "Memory" runeword (+3 inherent, +3 all skills and +3
    >>>ES
    >>>from runeword), and get a level 16 ES going. That's ~70% of damage
    >>>for
    >>>only 1 hard skill point (+the extra couple of you arent a light
    >>>sorc).

    >>Do players really do that for a little extra power? I know I'm way
    >>too
    >>lazy to carry special gear and change equipment just to cast a
    >>stronger
    >>ES (same with all classes that I played and can make use of temporary
    >>boost on permanent/lasting spells)
    >
    > Well, the difference in say 5% can be fairly big. If you consider that
    > an ES Sorc will have a relatively small life bulb. 5% of 200 damage is
    > 10. Now, an extra 10 DR or MDR can be tough to get once you have all
    > your equipment going.

    I see. Currently I've parked the rocket sorc until I get better
    equipment for her, but since she switched to the ES route very late, she
    already had 600 and something life so she can take a little damage that
    leaks through the ES.

    Over the weekend I build another sorc that is less dependant on
    equipment and IMO a very strong build.

    [Suggestions on gear]

    >>To be honest, I never found a sol so far, the only one that I have is
    >>gift, so that I can make an Insight polerarm for my merc. But I'm
    >>sure
    >>once I have (=if I ever get) the things they will be a great help.
    >>Sorry for the sharp words here. I know you want to give helppful
    >>advice
    >>and I'm sure your advice is very good. I'm just ironic because so
    >>often
    >>these lists contain things that I never had and don't expect to get
    >>soon.
    >
    > No problem. Although, you should be able to come by a Sol in the not
    > too distant future.

    I actually found one. My first try to make "Insight" failed - a Yari is
    a spear, not a polearm (arghhhh!). Then I got a real polearm from
    Patrick and the second try worked. Insight on a prayer merc is great :)

    Also Patrick gave me another Sol, so I still have a spare one if I
    should come across a better polearm to make another Insight for the late
    game.

    > A few OK NM Countess Runs would get you a Sol or
    > two from cubing. I've seen your posts for a while and find it hard to
    > believe you have never gotten a Sol.

    Some times I think I have inbuild -100MF.

    But probaly I just rush too much, and play to little. Also I'm a slow
    picker (can I blame my bad ping rates?), if I play in public party game,
    usually all yellow/green/gold items are gone before I can click.

    I decided not to worry to much about that because I can't change it, but
    I must try to live with 'cheap' equipment.

    > hehe, and almost everything I have listed you can get for pgems.

    I've now got a fairly large stock of PGems, and I'm looking for good
    trades now and then.

    > The
    > circlet and Ammy may be the toughest. That's why I said it shouldn't be
    > too hard. Obviously, if you play no-twink for example, it gets a bit
    > tougher.

    It's a mix. Usually I have a favorite character at a time which I play.
    Gifts, traded and found things are used immediately or put on a mule.

    New characters start with the stuff from the mules and then depend on
    what they find, get or can trade. So far I didn't take items from former
    characters to outfit new ones, but I see that it's now time to do just
    that, outfitting 4 sorceresses with good gear is a waste, if I only play
    one or two of them.

    > And
    > yes, poison is nasty, so maybe get used to carrying around one or two
    > antidote potions.

    In a certain sense the problem solved itself. My new sorc got the old
    armor from the rocket sorc as that one got a Qhe Hegans. The old armor
    has 75% poison strength reduced, so the poison problem doesn't exist for
    my new sorc, and since she's less dependand on +skills gear I guess
    she'll will keep it. Maybe I'll upgrade the armor (a rare torso plate
    with 2 sockets and nice mods) with the cube recipe like I had planned
    before.

    > Good Luck

    Thank you :)

    --