A7N8X-Deluxe + 2700+ Thoroughbred OC

apocwhen

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2003
I've hijacked my brother's computer until I can buy myself a new one and I'd really like to OC it. He's done a little and right now his multiplier is at 13 and the FSB is at 170, but I'd like it to get to 200. The only problem is the system locks up if I try to go above 170. I think the VCore is too low but I don't want to adjust it without knowing exactly what to do. Can anyone help?

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Providing the CPU's stable at that speed, reduce the multiplier to 11 - this will give it the same speed at 200fsb and prevent it stopping your FSB overclock.

Relax your Ram timings by increasing their values to something like 8-3-3-3 (unless you know you've got <i>fast</i> memory.

Enough messing about now - take the plunge straight to 200FSB, either it will like it or it won't. Be prepared to have to open the case and reset the CMOS though if it dies on you.

My A7N8X Delux Rev 1.4 don't like 200 but oddly enough takes anything above up to 220. Experiment either way if 200 don't work for you and by all means see how high you can go even to the extent of running your memory at 50 - 75% say.

Then I'd run the FSB and memory at stock speed and experiment with the CPU to find it's fastest setting - thats where the Vcore adjusting comes in.

Do your Sums after that and find the FSB/multiplier setting that best gets your CPU to it's limits.

Now for the memory - Best results will be achieved running it at the same speed as you FSB and of course with lower timings. Therefore if you got a high FSB speed then you're going to want to shell out some good cash for RAM that will match it.

btw, all this testing is going to take you a few weeks to achieve as you'll need a decent set of benchmarking tools, each of which will need to be run overnight at least to ensure stability.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>