End process tree & end process

What is the difference in End Process & End process tree,These option are
displayed in the task manager in the process Tab when we right clic any
process.

Also how the priority setting can be helpfull .
Regards
2 answers Last reply
More about process tree process

    FWIW from Help

    To end a process with Task Manager

    On the Processes tab, click the process that you want to end, and then
    click End Process.
    Important

    Be careful when ending a process. If you end an application, you will
    lose unsaved data. If you end a system service, some part of the system
    might not function properly.

    Note
    To end a process and all processes directly or indirectly created by it,
    on the Process tab, right-click the process you want to end, and then
    click End Process Tree.

    If you end the process tree for an e-mail program such as Microsoft
    Outlook, for example, you will also end related processes such as
    mapisp32.exe, the MAPI spooler.

    If you raise the priority you will get a temporary performance gain but
    if you set a level of priority greatly above the default you can
    encounter problems. I changed the priority for msimn.exe ( Outlook
    Express ) from the default Normal to Above Normal and it was OK.
    Changing it again to High brought problems.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Jagjeet" <Jagjeet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What is the difference in End Process & End process tree,These option
    > are
    > displayed in the task manager in the process Tab when we right clic
    > any
    > process.
    >
    > Also how the priority setting can be helpfull .
    > Regards

    "Jagjeet" <Jagjeet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > What is the difference in End Process & End process tree,These option are
    > displayed in the task manager in the process Tab when we right clic any
    > process.
    >
    > Also how the priority setting can be helpfull .
    > Regards

    In Windows one process can potentially 'spawn' (ie. trigger) another process
    and another and another.
    Go to www.sysinternals.com and download (free) Process Explorer and run it.
    You'll see what I mean.
    In this scenario a process tree can potentially encompass more than one
    process, so you are either ending a single specific Process or potentially
    multiple processes at once, when ending a Process tree.

    The priority setting can be useful if you want the system 'to pay more
    attention' to this particular process, ie. it gets priority when assigning
    cpu-cycles by the scheduler to do its job.
    Processing priorities range from 0 to 31 (or was it 1-32 :-) ?), with 8
    being 'normal'.
    All user processes get started with 'normal' priority and the
    system-scheduler evaluates 'who's next in line' to get control of the cpu.
    Processes with higher priority are thus more frequently served.
    Real-time priority (can only be assigned by administrators) sounds cool, but
    it also implies that every other process suffers, ie. won't be able to do
    much of anything.

    hth

    george

Microsoft Task Manager Windows XP