Private account users

I have accidently made my Users account private which I want to change but
have no idea how

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"jackie" <jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have accidently made my Users account private which I want to change but
> have no idea how

Going by the following assumptions:
- you are running xp pro
- you have Simple File Sharing enabled (which is the default)
- you are referring to having made one or more specific *folders* private,
since you use the term *private*.

Without you having to get involved in setting all sorts of NTFS permissions,
the simplest way would be:
Logo on with your specific userid.
Create a new folder (don't make it *private*). This will give you
Copy all the stuff into the new folder.
Delete the old *privat* folder.
Rename the new folder to the old foldername.

If you are referring to having changed the account from say Type:
administrator into Type: limited, simply switch the radio button.

does this help?

george

When I first opened up New User Accounts it asked if I wanted mine to be
private, to which I said yes. Once I had done this all the information on
the other 2 accounts were different, even the wallpaper. There are no games
or downloads or shared folders on these accounts. Is it possible to change
my settings to a shared account and we all have the same information.

"george" wrote:

> "jackie" <jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have accidently made my Users account private which I want to change but
> > have no idea how
>
> Going by the following assumptions:
> - you are running xp pro
> - you have Simple File Sharing enabled (which is the default)
> - you are referring to having made one or more specific *folders* private,
> since you use the term *private*.
>
> Without you having to get involved in setting all sorts of NTFS permissions,
> the simplest way would be:
> Logo on with your specific userid.
> Create a new folder (don't make it *private*). This will give you
> Copy all the stuff into the new folder.
> Delete the old *privat* folder.
> Rename the new folder to the old foldername.
>
> If you are referring to having changed the account from say Type:
> administrator into Type: limited, simply switch the radio button.
>
> does this help?
>
> george

Hi, jackie;
George has not responded to your clarification, so I shall.

Marking your account "private" prevents other users with administrator
accounts from being able to access your info without resetting your password;
it does not affect what you see from your account. Nevertheless, unmarking
your account involves going to C:\Documents and Settings, right-clicking the
folder with your user name on it, choosing Sharing and Security..., and
un-checking "Make this folder private."

On your Desktop and in your Start Menu you see icons from both your account
and the "All Users" account. If you want all users to see the same icons, put
them in the Desktop and Start Menu of "All Users," and clear them from
individual user accounts. Personally, I went the other way, put copies in
each user account, and cleared them from "All Users." That way, each user
could customize to their heart's delight. Documents for everyone to see and
use can be put in the "Shared Documents" folder (this is also in "All
Users"), which can be accessed from any user account on that computer.
Wallpaper is something you can change without changing other users
wallpaper--you can change it to whatever you want. Don't know why you would
care what others are seeing, there.

If you and the other users of this computer don't care about having separate
accounts, you can all of course log in to the same account.

Hope this helps.
Ian.