Proliant ML530 G2

Hi

If I have a Proliant G2 with the Hot Swap bays, and I have 4 x 72GB Disks in
them

If I want to expand do I have to keep with the 72's or can I add larger
disks ?

thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about proliant ml530

    On the seventh day, Blaze wrote...

    > Hi
    >
    > If I have a Proliant G2 with the Hot Swap bays, and I have 4 x 72GB Disks in
    > them
    >
    > If I want to expand do I have to keep with the 72's or can I add larger
    > disks ?

    Hello, Blaze,

    I guess that depends what kind of RAID config you've set up so far. Without
    knowing the RAID controller in your system in detail, RAID-0+1 setups
    usually can be extended by using 2 or 4 larger hard disk drives - just add
    to the first channel as many hard disks as you add to the other.
    A RAID-5 setup should be happy with any hotspare it can get *g* but in
    order to extend the array in size, you'd better have a backup, disable the
    array and build it from scratch.

    Of course, you're always free to use new hard disks for a second or third
    array!

    People must not do things for fun. We are not here for fun.
    There is no reference to fun in any Act of Parliament.

    "Christian Dürrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
    > On the seventh day, Blaze wrote...
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > If I have a Proliant G2 with the Hot Swap bays, and I have 4 x 72GB
    Disks in
    > > them
    > >
    > > If I want to expand do I have to keep with the 72's or can I add larger
    > > disks ?
    >
    > Hello, Blaze,
    >
    > I guess that depends what kind of RAID config you've set up so far.
    Without
    > knowing the RAID controller in your system in detail, RAID-0+1 setups
    > usually can be extended by using 2 or 4 larger hard disk drives - just add
    > to the first channel as many hard disks as you add to the other.
    > A RAID-5 setup should be happy with any hotspare it can get *g* but in
    > order to extend the array in size, you'd better have a backup, disable the
    > array and build it from scratch.
    >
    > Of course, you're always free to use new hard disks for a second or third
    > array!

    We propose to have a raid 5 with 5 x 72GB HDD's..

    I was wondering if an expansion would be simple or would I have to go
    through the shelep of rebuilding, as this is going to be the DC and I really
    don't want to have to rebuild when I run out of space.. its easier to put a
    new cheap PC as a file server

    As a rule, RAID arrays need rebuilding when adding to their capacity.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 15:41:39 GMT, "Blaze" <asfdaf@aff.com> wrote:

    >"Christian Dürrhauer" <cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote in message
    >> On the seventh day, Blaze wrote...
    >>
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > If I have a Proliant G2 with the Hot Swap bays, and I have 4 x 72GB
    >Disks in
    >> > them
    >> >
    >> > If I want to expand do I have to keep with the 72's or can I add larger
    >> > disks ?
    >>
    >> Hello, Blaze,
    >>
    >> I guess that depends what kind of RAID config you've set up so far.
    >Without
    >> knowing the RAID controller in your system in detail, RAID-0+1 setups
    >> usually can be extended by using 2 or 4 larger hard disk drives - just add
    >> to the first channel as many hard disks as you add to the other.
    >> A RAID-5 setup should be happy with any hotspare it can get *g* but in
    >> order to extend the array in size, you'd better have a backup, disable the
    >> array and build it from scratch.
    >>
    >> Of course, you're always free to use new hard disks for a second or third
    >> array!
    >
    >We propose to have a raid 5 with 5 x 72GB HDD's..
    >
    >I was wondering if an expansion would be simple or would I have to go
    >through the shelep of rebuilding, as this is going to be the DC and I really
    >don't want to have to rebuild when I run out of space.. its easier to put a
    >new cheap PC as a file server

Hewlett Packard Hardware Proliant Computers