Help Please I think I've fried my Chaintech 7NJS

dallas

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
this is the first time I've built a PC and it's been working resonable well since xmas, I've had the usual problems associated with this board: Temp, not recognising memory,hard drive etc, I'd sorted most of them out,thanks to the posts on this forum and others, but I Think I've just gone and fried my motherboard or memory sockets + memory.

I was putting my memory back in and put one in the wrong way round (it did stick a bit but the clips closed or so i thought) switched it back on , got one long beep, smelt burning, switched off won't boot and posts C1(Memory: inserted incorrectly, damaged or compatability problem), tried both memory modules in different slots still getting C1.

what do you think?
Any help will be very much appreciated
Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS 64
Soundblaster Audigy2

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I'd bet you've done the motherboard in. And, sadly, you've likely blown the warranty in the bargain.

What you need to do now is get some other memory and test it in your machine. If that works, it's the memory, if not, it's the motherboard.

(Don't put your memory in another machine, you might end up replacing 2 motherboards.)

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

dallas

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2003
Thanks I was just about to test the memory on a friends PC, so I'll give that amiss and go and buy some new memory. and give that a go