Adware/viruses--HELP!!

February 23, 2005 12:31:02 AM

I've got these adware pop-ups that keep overtaking my computer. I have Norton
SytemWorks 2004 Professional but Norton AntiVirus seems to be able only to
identify the problems but not quarantine or delete them. Spyware Xterminator
and Ad-Aware SE each will also identify them but cannot erase, delete or
quarantine them. My System Restore also does not work. It goes through the
motions but when it completes the reboot it tells me it was unable to restore
to the selected date and no changes were made.

Any suggestions?

Norm Jewett
jd4iam@yahoo.com
951-775-4711

More about : adware viruses

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 3:48:25 AM

Asked/Answered in IE6 Browser newsgroup.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

jd4iam wrote:
> I've got these adware pop-ups that keep overtaking my computer. I have
> Norton SytemWorks 2004 Professional but Norton AntiVirus seems to be able
> only to identify the problems but not quarantine or delete them. Spyware
> Xterminator and Ad-Aware SE each will also identify them but cannot erase,
> delete or quarantine them. My System Restore also does not work. It goes
> through the motions but when it completes the reboot it tells me it was
> unable to restore to the selected date and no changes were made.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Norm Jewett
> jd4iam@yahoo.com
> 951-775-4711
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 10:24:48 PM

jd4iam wrote:
> I've got these adware pop-ups that keep overtaking my computer. I have Norton
> SytemWorks 2004 Professional but Norton AntiVirus seems to be able only to
> identify the problems but not quarantine or delete them. Spyware Xterminator
> and Ad-Aware SE each will also identify them but cannot erase, delete or
> quarantine them. My System Restore also does not work. It goes through the
> motions but when it completes the reboot it tells me it was unable to restore
> to the selected date and no changes were made.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Norm Jewett
> jd4iam@yahoo.com
> 951-775-4711

What specific kind of pop-ups are you seeing? There are at least
three varieties of pop-ups, and the solutions vary accordingly.

1) Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?"

This type of spam has become quite common over the couple of
years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
you may well be open to other threats, such as the Blaster Worm that
swept across the Internet last year and the currently active Sasser
Worm. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
(Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend,
only hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure
your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security
gap represented by these messages is particularly foolish.

Messenger Service of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
Appears
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/comm...

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
helpful?

2) For regular Internet pop-ups, you might try the free 12Ghosts
Popup-killer from http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/popup.htm, Pop-Up Stopper
from http://www.panicware.com/, or the Google Toolbar from
http://toolbar.google.com/. Alternatively, you can upgrade your WinXP
to SP2, to install IE's pop-up blocker. Another alternative would be
to use another browser, such as Mozilla or Firefox, which has pop-up
blocking capabilities. (But I'd avoid Netscape; it carries too much
extraneous AOL garbage.)

3) To deal with pop-ups caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
"spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Xupiter, Bonzai Buddy, or
KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but without
understanding the consequences) installed, two products that are
quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even
possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system
against most future intrusions. I use both and generally perform
manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
varieties of scumware are available here:

PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

More information and assistance is available at these sites:

Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

The Parasite Fight
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

--