Adware/viruses--HELP!!

I've got these adware pop-ups that keep overtaking my computer. I have Norton
SytemWorks 2004 Professional but Norton AntiVirus seems to be able only to
identify the problems but not quarantine or delete them. Spyware Xterminator
and Ad-Aware SE each will also identify them but cannot erase, delete or
quarantine them. My System Restore also does not work. It goes through the
motions but when it completes the reboot it tells me it was unable to restore
to the selected date and no changes were made.

Any suggestions?

Norm Jewett
jd4iam@yahoo.com
951-775-4711
2 answers Last reply
More about adware viruses help

    Asked/Answered in IE6 Browser newsgroup.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

    jd4iam wrote:
    > I've got these adware pop-ups that keep overtaking my computer. I have Norton
    > SytemWorks 2004 Professional but Norton AntiVirus seems to be able only to
    > identify the problems but not quarantine or delete them. Spyware Xterminator
    > and Ad-Aware SE each will also identify them but cannot erase, delete or
    > quarantine them. My System Restore also does not work. It goes through the
    > motions but when it completes the reboot it tells me it was unable to restore
    > to the selected date and no changes were made.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Norm Jewett
    > jd4iam@yahoo.com
    > 951-775-4711

    What specific kind of pop-ups are you seeing? There are at least
    three varieties of pop-ups, and the solutions vary accordingly.

    1) Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?"

    This type of spam has become quite common over the couple of
    years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    you may well be open to other threats, such as the Blaster Worm that
    swept across the Internet last year and the currently active Sasser
    Worm. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
    (Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend,
    only hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure
    your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security
    gap represented by these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
    they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    helpful?

    2) For regular Internet pop-ups, you might try the free 12Ghosts
    Popup-killer from http://12ghosts.com/ghosts/popup.htm, Pop-Up Stopper
    from http://www.panicware.com/, or the Google Toolbar from
    http://toolbar.google.com/. Alternatively, you can upgrade your WinXP
    to SP2, to install IE's pop-up blocker. Another alternative would be
    to use another browser, such as Mozilla or Firefox, which has pop-up
    blocking capabilities. (But I'd avoid Netscape; it carries too much
    extraneous AOL garbage.)

    3) To deal with pop-ups caused by any sort of "adware" and/or
    "spyware,"such as Gator, Comet Cursors, Xupiter, Bonzai Buddy, or
    KaZaA, and their remnants, that you've deliberately (but without
    understanding the consequences) installed, two products that are
    quite effective (at finding and removing this type of scumware) are
    Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and SpyBot Search & Destroy from
    www.safer-networking.org/. Both have free versions. It's even
    possible to use SpyBot Search & Destroy to "immunize" your system
    against most future intrusions. I use both and generally perform
    manual scans every week or so to clean out cookies, etc.

    Additionally, manual removal instructions for the most common
    varieties of scumware are available here:

    PC Hell Spyware and Adware Removal Help
    http://www.pchell.com/support/spyware.shtml

    More information and assistance is available at these sites:

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    The Parasite Fight
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    --