chris1984

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2003
I have the Asus A7n8x Deluxe
I purchased (2) PNY 256 pc2700 333 sticks of memory for a very cheap price, to take advantage of dual channel, later to learn they were not on the supported list. Will this be a problem (will it turn on!)? I know generic ram is considerd bad but I assume PNY is mainstream enough to be compatible???
I dont plan to OC

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
I don't think anyone will come out and say "YES IT WILL WORK". You would have to try it and see. Single SHOULD work OK, but with dual who knows.

chris1984

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2003
thats true, just looking for educated info...maybe someone has had this problem...its my own fault, guess i'll find out the hard way :)

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
... DDR333 (PC2700) of course is not on the support list because the list is for DDR400 (PC3200) RAM... all PC2700, even generic one can run on A7N8X Deluxe.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

robertk

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2003
dual channel is causing all sorts of problems at the mo as the only dual channel mem weve had worjking stable is corsiar xms twin. Anyhow dual channel is it really worth it?
First off you fork out for identical sticks (costing more than a single of the same capacity), then will the motherboard run these two together (seems to be unrealible support at the mo) and finally dual channel only gives a slight performance boost. It is a nice extra but really i wouldnt bother. (which is surprising in the fact that my K7N2-Delta is dual channel)

If you gotta go, go with a smile/y.

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
There are many RAM other than Corsair works. You have to read more review on the benefit of dual channel. nForce2 in single channel is performing like a [-peep-], even the [-peep-] KT400 can outperform it but in dual channel mode it screws KT400A in every benchmark. Your "slight" performance boost is more than 10% difference which means a lot. Now every new chipset is moving into dual channel ddr, everybody has acknowledge the advantages of dual channel ddr. you can't avoid this trend. Finally, not every single sticks of DDR RAM is cheaper than double sticks, you just have to shop around to avoid being ripped off.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

TRENDING THREADS