Bios Settings Question

I had my computer up and it had been running about six hours. All of a
sudden it tried to reboot and when it did it came up with a boot
failure insert floppy disk to continue.
I was unable to do any thing so I took it in for repair.
The tech told me that the bios had been changed so he set it to auto
detect. I then booted up.
My question WHAT OR HOW would the bios setting get changed and the
computer up and running. I had used this setting since 9/01/03.
Any explanations?
Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about bios settings question

    Virus or a power surge maybe.

    "GreyTop" wrote:

    > I had my computer up and it had been running about six hours. All of a
    > sudden it tried to reboot and when it did it came up with a boot
    > failure insert floppy disk to continue.
    > I was unable to do any thing so I took it in for repair.
    > The tech told me that the bios had been changed so he set it to auto
    > detect. I then booted up.
    > My question WHAT OR HOW would the bios setting get changed and the
    > computer up and running. I had used this setting since 9/01/03.
    > Any explanations?
    > Thanks

    1) Check the motherboard manufacturer's website, it could
    be a glitch in the version of the BIOS that is running on
    your motherboard. The manufacturer will usually list the
    major changes in each BIOS version, you may see a power-
    related change in newer BIOS revision(s).
    2) This could happen if the motherboard's on-board BIOS
    battery is faulty. Unlikely but possible.
    3) This could be a sign that the hard drive is failing but
    again, it's unlikely.

    Good Luck !

BIOS Computers Windows XP