Bios Settings Question

February 23, 2005 11:51:06 AM

I had my computer up and it had been running about six hours. All of a
sudden it tried to reboot and when it did it came up with a boot
failure insert floppy disk to continue.
I was unable to do any thing so I took it in for repair.
The tech told me that the bios had been changed so he set it to auto
detect. I then booted up.
My question WHAT OR HOW would the bios setting get changed and the
computer up and running. I had used this setting since 9/01/03.
Any explanations?
Thanks

More about : bios settings question

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 3:09:03 PM

Virus or a power surge maybe.

"GreyTop" wrote:

> I had my computer up and it had been running about six hours. All of a
> sudden it tried to reboot and when it did it came up with a boot
> failure insert floppy disk to continue.
> I was unable to do any thing so I took it in for repair.
> The tech told me that the bios had been changed so he set it to auto
> detect. I then booted up.
> My question WHAT OR HOW would the bios setting get changed and the
> computer up and running. I had used this setting since 9/01/03.
> Any explanations?
> Thanks

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:26:54 PM

1) Check the motherboard manufacturer's website, it could
be a glitch in the version of the BIOS that is running on
your motherboard. The manufacturer will usually list the
major changes in each BIOS version, you may see a power-
related change in newer BIOS revision(s).
2) This could happen if the motherboard's on-board BIOS
battery is faulty. Unlikely but possible.
3) This could be a sign that the hard drive is failing but
again, it's unlikely.

Good Luck !

!