Norton anti-virus

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I recently purchased a new bare bones computer with an OEM shrinkwrapped
version of XP which I loaded myself. I then downloaded a 15 day trial
version of Norton Antivirus several days ago. Just before purchasing a
retail copy, I tried to remove the trial version. Had some sucess but there
must be some remanants left so that the retail version will not install. The
install wizard keeps reporting that it was interrupted and does not complete
the task . Any thoughts. A new install of XP is not a problem - no hardware
changes and minimal installed software to date.

Dave

I feel your pain. Norton AntiVirus can be very difficult to completely
remove, and you must completely remove it - including Live Update, Live Reg
and any other Symantec components - in order to upgrade. You'll achieve
success by following the instructions in Symantec's knowledge base. Look for
an article with a title like "how do I uninstall Norton AntiVirus?"

Modem Ani

"dave" <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently purchased a new bare bones computer with an OEM shrinkwrapped
> version of XP which I loaded myself. I then downloaded a 15 day trial
> version of Norton Antivirus several days ago. Just before purchasing a
> retail copy, I tried to remove the trial version. Had some sucess but
there
> must be some remanants left so that the retail version will not install.
The
> install wizard keeps reporting that it was interrupted and does not
complete
> the task . Any thoughts. A new install of XP is not a problem - no
hardware
> changes and minimal installed software to date.
>
> Dave

WHen you go to the Norton knowledge base you must get the instructions for
the version of Norton you have. There are different instructions for
different versions.

Tim

"Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
>I feel your pain. Norton AntiVirus can be very difficult to completely
> remove, and you must completely remove it - including Live Update, Live
> Reg
> and any other Symantec components - in order to upgrade. You'll achieve
> success by following the instructions in Symantec's knowledge base. Look
> for
> an article with a title like "how do I uninstall Norton AntiVirus?"
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "dave" <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I recently purchased a new bare bones computer with an OEM shrinkwrapped
>> version of XP which I loaded myself. I then downloaded a 15 day trial
>> version of Norton Antivirus several days ago. Just before purchasing a
>> retail copy, I tried to remove the trial version. Had some sucess but
> there
>> must be some remanants left so that the retail version will not install.
> The
>> install wizard keeps reporting that it was interrupted and does not
> complete
>> the task . Any thoughts. A new install of XP is not a problem - no
> hardware
>> changes and minimal installed software to date.
>>
>> Dave

http://www.symantec.com/search/
To assist you in finding the article relevant to your version.

"tkloth" <tkloth@nospam.wans.net> wrote in message
> WHen you go to the Norton knowledge base you must get the instructions for the
> version of Norton you have. There are different instructions for different
> versions.
>
> Tim
>
> "Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
>>I feel your pain. Norton AntiVirus can be very difficult to completely
>> remove, and you must completely remove it - including Live Update, Live Reg
>> and any other Symantec components - in order to upgrade. You'll achieve
>> success by following the instructions in Symantec's knowledge base. Look for
>> an article with a title like "how do I uninstall Norton AntiVirus?"
>>
>> Modem Ani
>>
>> "dave" <dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I recently purchased a new bare bones computer with an OEM shrinkwrapped
>>> version of XP which I loaded myself. I then downloaded a 15 day trial
>>> version of Norton Antivirus several days ago. Just before purchasing a
>>> retail copy, I tried to remove the trial version. Had some sucess but
>> there
>>> must be some remanants left so that the retail version will not install.
>> The
>>> install wizard keeps reporting that it was interrupted and does not
>> complete
>>> the task . Any thoughts. A new install of XP is not a problem - no
>> hardware
>>> changes and minimal installed software to date.
>>>
>>> Dave

Modem Ani wrote <<Norton AntiVirus can be very difficult to completely
remove, and you must completely remove it - including Live Update, Live Reg
and any other Symantec components - in order to upgrade>>

I agree wholeheartedly with your first comment - having run the gauntlet.
However, with Norton Internet Security 2005 it is necessary only to
uninstall NAV (from Windows add / remove programs) and NIS will install OK.
This certainly beats trawling through the hard disk and registry for that
one last component that trips it up!

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions