Sign in with
Your question

FS: Custom Quad Core 5850 Gaming Desktop - $800 w/ monitor

Last response: in Deals
April 8, 2011 12:02:28 AM

Hey everybody! I'm selling my uber-powerful desktop system I built to buy a laptop for school.

$800 with 20" HD monitor, $750 without.

ATI Radeon 5850 1GB Graphics
AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.5ghz Processor
G.SKILL RipJaws 4gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM
OCZ 750w PSU
NZXT Gamma Case
DVD/CD Drive
320GB HDD and an old 80GB IDE drive. Plenty of room for more drives.
Gigabyte 880g Motherboard
Windows 7 included.

It runs EVERYTHING!
Runs Crysis on complete full, with the highest AA.
It WILL run everything for years to come, and, most importantly, runs Crysis 2!

I will wipe the hard drive and install either Vista 32bit, 7 32bit, or 7 64bit.

Buyer pays shipping, or I will meet you somewhere to exchange it.

PICTURES
https://post.craigslist.org/imagepreview/n/3pd3o13lf5Y2...

https://post.craigslist.org/imagepreview/n/3kf3pd3la5Q4...

https://post.craigslist.org/imagepreview/n/3me3o13p45V3...

Has USB 3.0, ESata, Firewire, Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI, and plenty of other ports.

Also comes with the needed cables, a pair of speakers, and an almost new wireless Microsoft Arc Keyboard.
I'm keeping my $50 mouse for use with my laptop, or you could pay $40 for it. It is the Logitech M705 Marathon Mouse with 3 year battery life.

Also spare Modular cables for the PSU and an extra SATA cable or 2.

If you don't know what some of what I just said means, feel free to ask, and if you like I could Overclock my processor further.

I have aftermarket cooling on my CPU, plenty of ventilation, and everything works.

Thanks for reading!
April 12, 2011 4:02:39 AM

may i ask whats the resolution of your monitor out of curiosity?
April 12, 2011 5:06:11 PM

I actually have 2 monitors available.

20" LCD Black Acer 1600x900
19" LCD Silver Dell 1440x900

Both work fine, and buyer can choose which they want.
They have no cosmetic damage that I've seen, so just pick the aspect ratio 16x10 vs 16x9 and the color you want.

They both have DVI and VGA, and I'll include a DVI/HDMI converter if asked. I have one laying around.
Related resources
April 13, 2011 7:48:55 AM

Whats the model of the CPU, MOBO, and PSU?
April 13, 2011 6:36:54 PM

The PSU is an OCZ ModXtreme Pro 700w. It is modular, comes with the cables it came with, and has a 3 year warranty that I don't think I registered.
I got a cheese PSU and it made a whining noise so I sent it back and bought this one. I like it a lot.

The MOBO is a GIGABYTE 880GA-UD3H it's an am3 board with USB 3.0, FireWire 800, 8 or 10 SATA ports (including SATA III) and has 2 PCIe slots (16x and 8x).

The CPU I'm actually not sure of since I threw away the box. I bought one CPU and unlocked it to 4 cores and overclocked it, then got a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ to cool it.
It is running 4 cores at 3.5ghz right now. I had 2 thermal shutdowns, both while in a stress test with the stock cooler. It's fine now, as this heatsink is HUGE.

On the topic of heatsinks, the fan that came with the cooler I bought was loud, so I replaced it with one of my case fans. Still no thermal shutdowns, and I'll include that fan if the buyer does not mind the noise.
April 19, 2011 6:29:58 PM

Are you willing to sell just the 5850?
April 27, 2011 8:02:42 PM

bavman said:
Are you willing to sell just the 5850?

Sorry for the late response, I was on vacation.

I suppose I could sell only the 5850, but it would heavily depend on your price. I paid about $240, so I would sell it for $200 shipped. ALL questions. I'm happy to answer them. Bavman please email me ASAP, as in a few days I will be putting this sale on craigslist, then, if necessary, eBay.

I normally wouldn't just sell the card, but I'll probably have better chances selling the computer without it to someone who doesn't know it's potential.
April 27, 2011 9:14:54 PM

bobothetwit said:
Sorry for the late response, I was on vacation.

I suppose I could sell only the 5850, but it would heavily depend on your price. I paid about $240, so I would sell it for $200 shipped. ALL questions. I'm happy to answer them. Bavman please email me ASAP, as in a few days I will be putting this sale on craigslist, then, if necessary, eBay.

I normally wouldn't just sell the card, but I'll probably have better chances selling the computer without it to someone who doesn't know it's potential.

Problem is the price on 5850's have plummeted -- they have them new for as low as $140 shipped !! - though that one sold out quickly the same card is only $10 more on Tigerdirect with a copy of Shogun 2 -- so getting $200 used is gonna be a hard sale !!

Also trying to sell the system as a quad core when it is actually a dual or triple (you don't say which) core CPU that has beenunlocked and you believe is stable is gonna hurt the price someone is willing to pay a bit over if it was a true quad core CPU and you should mention that in the description (ie. PII xxx unlocked to quad core and running at xxxGhz.) - having it unlocked and running OC'd to a certain speed does not change the CPU model !
May 1, 2011 2:30:58 PM

JDFan said:
Problem is the price on 5850's have plummeted -- they have them new for as low as $140 shipped !! - though that one sold out quickly the same card is only $10 more on Tigerdirect with a copy of Shogun 2 -- so getting $200 used is gonna be a hard sale !!

Also trying to sell the system as a quad core when it is actually a dual or triple (you don't say which) core CPU that has beenunlocked and you believe is stable is gonna hurt the price someone is willing to pay a bit over if it was a true quad core CPU and you should mention that in the description (ie. PII xxx unlocked to quad core and running at xxxGhz.) - having it unlocked and running OC'd to a certain speed does not change the CPU model !

I was not aware the 5850's had dropped in price so quickly! Just this Christmas I purchased it on sale WITH A REBATE for $200 from Newegg!

I am aware people could and should be quite skeptical about unlocked processors, but I have been using this build for almost 5 months with no issues whatsoever. In the beginning, temperatures were high, so I got a nice heatsink. Then, I could get more power, so I overclocked, and now it seems the perfect balance of power and heat. Putting my hand over any of the outtake fans the temperature is only slightly above room temperature!

I will try to sell the now deactivated on Newegg XFX 5850 for about $175 shipped maybe?
And since people on this forum are capable of building their own machines, I will sell the computer without the graphics card to neighbors, ebay, etc.

All advice is welcome, and I thank you JDFan. I've not sold anything this substantial in my life, and this is my first build (everything is PERFECT except for the cable management, which is packed into one place to keep it out of the front of the case).
May 5, 2011 11:32:55 PM

Alright, I'll be selling the system and graphics separately, so this is the last chance to buy the system as a whole.
May 16, 2011 10:30:38 PM

no offense but your rig is not worth anything close to the asking price if it was a true quad core Id say 600 tops and even then it would be tough, the bottom line is that if you part it off you will get a lot more money for it/ money for a new rig depending on what you are trying to do, why are you selling it?
May 17, 2011 3:30:29 PM

Thank you mister impossible name for your advice. I based the price off of what I paid 3 months ago, so it seems you are correct in my asking price being too high now. I will try to sell the GPU separate from the rest of the system, and market it as a home user type of computer. I'm simply selling it for money towards a plan I made up where I have a laptop and an xbox instead of a desktop.
May 17, 2011 4:23:52 PM

I see Tommy Tutone was before your time :)  good luck
May 19, 2011 12:17:45 AM

you will never get what you payed for it .
May 19, 2011 4:32:35 AM

bobothetwit said:
Thank you mister impossible name for your advice. I based the price off of what I paid 3 months ago, so it seems you are correct in my asking price being too high now. I will try to sell the GPU separate from the rest of the system, and market it as a home user type of computer. I'm simply selling it for money towards a plan I made up where I have a laptop and an xbox instead of a desktop.

Sooo.. How much are you asking for as a whole? Or what are hte prices sep
May 19, 2011 5:29:00 PM

Ill give you 500$ for it.
May 19, 2011 5:56:24 PM

Id say about 500 is a fair deal for both parties
May 24, 2011 7:41:51 PM

I'm sorry I'd never go lower than $650 without the monitor.
I'll sell for $550 without the graphics card and with the monitor.
May 24, 2011 7:50:47 PM

You should post some pics
May 24, 2011 8:35:54 PM

I posted some on Craig's List. I will. The pictures are terrible though, I don't currently have a real camera so I used my iPod Touch's .7MP camera.
May 24, 2011 8:40:10 PM

hmm. pictures didnt format into the OP properly
!