Sign in with
Your question

GA-8IEXP - Northbridge Fan

Last response: in Motherboards
April 27, 2003 9:58:29 AM

Is the Heatsink on the Northbridge of this MoBo adequate enough to do without the Fan. How can I tell if not. Seems like a reasonable Heatsink????

-= LtZ GoAtFaCe =-

More about : 8iexp northbridge fan

April 28, 2003 2:30:15 AM

Northbridge fans are nothing more than noise generators. I also got a GA-8IEXP board which had this problem. So I removed the fan since I bought it 10 months ago. And the board is still working great without any problem.
April 28, 2003 4:09:57 AM

If you have good in-case airflow, you can probably get away with it... but don't just disable the fan... remove it so that you get the maximum airflow over the heatsink.

If the fan is going bad on you and you want to replace it, I'm pretty sure that's a standard 3700rpm 60mm fan and you can probably get one from a computer store easy enough. 60mm fans running 2800 rpm were the standard on pentium 1 and II coolers, they're dirt cheap and a lot quieter... so you might like to try getting one of them.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 28, 2003 4:56:50 AM

one of the reasons i like ASUS boards is they simply dont use a northbridge fan, they just have a bigger heatsink,

it cools just as well, it doesnt break down, and its completly quite, makes sense, too bad other companies couldnt follow suit

"Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion."
- Gen. (Ret) Norman Schwartzkopf
April 28, 2003 9:45:43 AM

The GA-8IEXP is one of the first Gigabyte mobos to have northbridge fan. Since then G'byte implements fan on every high end board. Like I said, those cheap fans are nothing but noise generators, and if you search old posts you'll see complaints from some other users on the same problem. I have no idea why G'yte decided to add a fan on its mobos. Maybe that would make it "look" fast.
April 28, 2003 3:51:12 PM

I agree.. disconect the fan. I have been running my soyo dragon + from day one without it... no problems...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!
!