Insert disk into DeviceHarddiskDR1

The Stop message ... "There is no disk in the drive.
Please insert a disk into drive\Devices\Harddisk1\DR1" ...
Appears when I try to use Adaware or Spybot..
My Hard Disk drive letter is F: ..and .. My Zip drive letter is C:
I can remove the Stop message and run Adaware and Spybot,
if I put a blank formatted Zip disk into the C: drive.
It looks as if I need to try to change the drive letters over.
The process is described in Help and Support, but
will changing the Hard Disk drive from F: to C:
(C: to V ... Cancel C: ... F: to C: Cancel F)
screw up my current system?
Would you advise "If it works don't mend it".
Would you advise going into Safe Mode to do the change.

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:19:44 GMT, Longfellow wrote:

> The Stop message ... "There is no disk in the drive.
> Please insert a disk into drive\Devices\Harddisk1\DR1" ...
> Appears when I try to use Adaware or Spybot..
> My Hard Disk drive letter is F: ..and .. My Zip drive letter is C:
> I can remove the Stop message and run Adaware and Spybot,
> if I put a blank formatted Zip disk into the C: drive.
> It looks as if I need to try to change the drive letters over.
> The process is described in Help and Support, but
> will changing the Hard Disk drive from F: to C:
> (C: to V ... Cancel C: ... F: to C: Cancel F)
> screw up my current system?
> Would you advise "If it works don't mend it".
> Would you advise going into Safe Mode to do the change.

Those directions work for non-system drives. You cannot change the letter
of the drive that holds Windows. Suggest using your workaround (blank disk
in zip drive) for now. When/if the time comes that you are going to
reinstall everything, disconnect the zip drive during Windows setup so that
it doesn't steal C: again. Once Windows is reinstalled, reattach the zip
drive so that it can be assigned its own (and more appropriate) drive
letter.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks Sharon for the prompt reply.
I understand that the simple way to correct the problem
is to format the hard disk and re-install XP (Assuming
back ups, drivers, CD's are available, of course).
If I can find someone of experience to help ...
would it be possible to use the "Files and Settings
Transfer Wizard" and spare hard disk on another
XP computer ?
If so, is there a web page to give me some tips,
particularly what cannot be transferred?
Regards.

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:21:57 GMT, Longfellow wrote:

> Thanks Sharon for the prompt reply.
> I understand that the simple way to correct the problem
> is to format the hard disk and re-install XP (Assuming
> back ups, drivers, CD's are available, of course).
> If I can find someone of experience to help ...
> would it be possible to use the "Files and Settings
> Transfer Wizard" and spare hard disk on another
> XP computer ?
> If so, is there a web page to give me some tips,
> particularly what cannot be transferred?
> Regards.

No tool that I know of. Changing the drive letter of the operating system
is more complicated than it sounds. Countless registry entries, location of
shared files, etc.

There are tools that do a good job moving XP to a drive that is intended to
replace the original but that's a different kettle of fish.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User