Asus top scores even though no CSA? Why?

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
From everything I've read, CSA is a pretty big deal because it prevents bottlenecking. Yet the Asus ASUS P4C800 doesn't have CSA but still is beating out other boards WITH CSA.

Why?

Does this make the Asus the better choice, or do the benchmarks not reflect CSAs importants?

How do I know if I should go with the Asus board or go with another board with CSA? Was thinking the Gigabyte since Abit board is having some problems saving memory timings.

fireflayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
CSA is for gbit ethernet, so it has nothing to do with benchmarks... I'm personally going with the MSI because the ASUS doesn't have CSA or ICH5-R

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Ok, so, what kind of downside would there be for going with the Asus board? I do play a lot of online games, but most COULD be run nicely on a 56k, let alone broadband. I don't bog down my connection by downloading stuff while I play, so will I even miss the other features?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, you don't need CSA. No normal person does. There is no home broadband that approaches gigabit speed. In fact most large companies still use 10/100 connections. So it's no loss to you that CSA can give you 1.6gb/s combined up/download while PCI gigabit is "only" 1gb combined!

You want to save money on a board? Get the Abit IC7, it's $158 at newegg.com and a VERY nice board.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
...if you ignore its relaxed memory timings--less than SPD in many cases. Of course, a forthcoming BIOS flash ought to fix that little problem.

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

melvin13

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
personally I think CSA is more A "nice to know its there, but am I'm really using it" feature. I would not exclude a motherboard just cause it doenst have this feature.

Take GB lan as another example. Nice to say yes I have a GB lan ready connection. But will/are you using it now? Considering most people I know have some sort of DSL/Cable gateway splitting their connection. They all run at 10/100. (havent seen a 1000/100/10 gateway on the market yet) You'll still connect @ 100MB from your machine to the router with a GB lan nic anyway....

Its funny. I See people upgrade all the time to try and stay on top, And hey if its your thing have fun! But really look at the upgrade and features and cost. I just went to the 655 chipset and like 2 weeks later the 875 comes out. DOH!! ah man 800 Mhz FSB!! I gotta have that ;) I didnt even get a HT ready CPU with my upgrade...and kinda glad I didnt. cause you know the 800 Mhz FSB CPU's will have HT too, DOH!! not again :)

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
From reading the recent review I can't see why you shouldn't just get a Granite bay board.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
When buying a new board? Offical support, a 1-11% performance difference, and more future proof.

If I owned a GB I wouldn't upgrade, wouldn't even consider it... but if I were going to get a new mobo then I would definetly pick a 875p over a GB.

Shadus