Windows XP home won't accept Product Key on back pf laptop..

I have had my Toshiba laptop since Christmas and I have tried to access
everything in the Windows XP package. When I try to start a new file the
screen pops up saying that I need to enter my product key. I must have
entered it at least 20 times and it still won't work. I am typing in the
exact key on the back of my laptop to no avail. Please Help!!!

Werdna wrote:
> I have had my Toshiba laptop since Christmas and I have tried to access
> everything in the Windows XP package. When I try to start a new file the
> screen pops up saying that I need to enter my product key. I must have
> entered it at least 20 times and it still won't work. I am typing in the
> exact key on the back of my laptop to no avail. Please Help!!!

WinXP would not prompt for its Product Key under such circumstances,
the Key is used *only* during installation of the OS. What, exactly, do
you mean by "When I try to start a new file....?"

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

That sounds like you are trying to use Microsoft Word or another Microsoft
Office component.
If that is the case, you are using the wrong Product Key and getting the
expected result.
You need to use the key for that program, probably located on the package
the CDs are enclosed.
Otherwise contact the seller.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Werdna" <Werdna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have had my Toshiba laptop since Christmas and I have tried to access
> everything in the Windows XP package. When I try to start a new file the
> screen pops up saying that I need to enter my product key. I must have
> entered it at least 20 times and it still won't work. I am typing in the
> exact key on the back of my laptop to no avail. Please Help!!!

Hi

What kind of file are you trying to create when the error message appears?
Have you tried contacting Toshiba for an explanation? The problem could be
machine specific.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User