Sign in with
Your question

Oblivion Keeps Black Screening: (9600gt / on Vista 64)

Last response: in Video Games
March 22, 2009 7:05:07 PM

After putting it off for 3 years I've finally got around to playing Oblivion and was loving it till about 30 hours into the game when it began to repeatedly black screen on me. There were a few crashes before but now it is every 5 minutes. So I uninstalled the game and even deleted saved files, etc., reinstalled game and latest patch. And it went for bout 15 minutes and then the blackscreening again.

One bug is where the monitor screen will completely disappear while the music in the game appears to be doing fine. This one is not the freeze loop thingy.

Another crash is the freeze loop thingy where the game just freezes and black screens and you can hear the music looping. Both of these are happening to me.

So I read online and apparently this is has been a very common experience across the board with Oblivion, but more so with nvidia cards.

Right now I'm downloading the Unofficial Patch from TES Nexus. We'll see if that works, if not oh well, I guess i just can't play the game and I was so loving it.
March 22, 2009 8:02:57 PM

well just installed unofficial patch and same issues. this is really kind of depressing. oh well. I sure hope Fallout 3 doesn't give me the same issues. I should have known better than to buy an nvidia card. Only reason I did was the old linux better compatibility reason.

My system is 6 months new:

Setup:

Intel E8400
Asus P5QL Pro
4gb dual channel gskill pc6400

PNY Nvidia 9600gt
FSP Group PSU 700watt

vista64
samsung syncMaster997df CRT(an older-ish monitor but hasnt seen much use)
March 22, 2009 8:14:21 PM

I used to get the black screens as well. I discovered that it was when I had HDR on that it was doing it, so I put on bloom and AA intead.

There's also a few fixes. None of them worked for me, but it really depends on the kind of problem your having, or when it's happening.

Some nvidia fixes:
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=13632
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11167

If you have any mods installed, try disabling them. Also try lowering your settings, especially, try without any HDR or shadows.

One thing that did work for me was switching to an ATI card - but then you get problems elsewhere. I discovered oblivion seems to run a lot slower on ATI cards. You just can't win! Ah well. Hope you get it working. It's a great game. Especially with a few mods thrown in. (Deadly reflex is great!)

Related resources
March 22, 2009 8:31:27 PM

I didn't have any problems running Oblivion on my old computer with a nvidia 6600GT card.

Sounds like I was lucky. I was running it on XP though.

Maybe running it in XP compatability mode might be worth a try.
March 22, 2009 8:32:58 PM

anthropophaginian said:
I used to get the black screens as well. I discovered that it was when I had HDR on that it was doing it, so I put on bloom and AA intead.

There's also a few fixes. None of them worked for me, but it really depends on the kind of problem your having, or when it's happening.

Some nvidia fixes:
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=13632
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11167

If you have any mods installed, try disabling them. Also try lowering your settings, especially, try without any HDR or shadows.

One thing that did work for me was switching to an ATI card - but then you get problems elsewhere. I discovered oblivion seems to run a lot slower on ATI cards. You just can't win! Ah well. Hope you get it working. It's a great game. Especially with a few mods thrown in. (Deadly reflex is great!)

Good feedback. Thanks. Been doing more research and apparently this is chronic with 7, 8, 9 series cards(Nvidia). Cause is unknown but potential fixes include lowering settings.

I am not on HDR mode. I was high graphics with 2x AA. Which should be perfectly fine with 9600gt paired with 4 gigs ram and intel e8400 & FSP 700watt psu. I was running smooth with no graphics lag at all. It really is true what they say about nvidia cards being more unstable overall.

March 22, 2009 10:13:02 PM

whiteshadow_22 said:
I didn't have any problems running Oblivion on my old computer with a nvidia 6600GT card.

Sounds like I was lucky. I was running it on XP though.

Maybe running it in XP compatability mode might be worth a try.

Yeah that is definitely something I'm going to try. I read somewhere that Microsoft said that Vista64 does not officially support Oblivion.
March 23, 2009 12:47:22 AM

papazulu said:
Yeah that is definitely something I'm going to try. I read somewhere that Microsoft said that Vista64 does not officially support Oblivion.

Have you tried updating your nvidia drivers? Monkey with the game settings as well. It seems odd that you were playing the game just fine for 30 hours and then had trouble. Perhaps you changed the setting at that point? I am playing the game now, but with XP and ATI. No troubles at all.

Hope you solve it. I am enjoying the game as well.
March 23, 2009 3:16:40 PM

Using bloom will fix it. There IS a fix for this issue. I havent played oblivion in awhile and implemented this fix while I played. Visit the official bethesda forums, theres a troubleshooting section in the oblivion section that should have a path forward of fixing the nvidia black screen/hdr bug.
March 23, 2009 10:29:01 PM

tsd16 said:
Using bloom will fix it. There IS a fix for this issue. I havent played oblivion in awhile and implemented this fix while I played. Visit the official bethesda forums, theres a troubleshooting section in the oblivion section that should have a path forward of fixing the nvidia black screen/hdr bug.

I wasn't playing in HDR. I was playing in: bloom at 2x AA
March 24, 2009 6:30:31 PM

papazulu said:
I wasn't playing in HDR. I was playing in: bloom at 2x AA

Interesting, never had the problem with bloom. Advice still stands though, go tot he official bethesda forums and I garauntee they get you sorted out.
February 23, 2010 5:14:03 AM

I have had the same problem for about a year and it isn't just Oblivion that does it. I think a lot of you are mistaking his issue (black screen and system lockup) with the bug that makes the screen go blank for a few seconds. I am almost certain it is a problem with the 9 series Nvidia cards as I've tried two different ones and have had the same problems with almost every game I play. I don't know what the common issue is with each game, maybe something to do with DirectX as older games tend to work more often than newer ones.
December 4, 2011 6:28:43 PM

I know this is an old post, but I am having the same problem too. I noticed it after I changed my resolution to 1900x1600, which my computer should handle fine. I set it back to 800x640 or w/e it is and now it works fine. I have a Gateway P-7811FX with 4GB of ram, and a 512MB 9800M GTS vid card.
!