Sign in with
Your question

Shuttle ak38 and Athlon XP 2000+

Last response: in Motherboards
April 29, 2003 5:53:43 PM

System setup:

MoBo: AK38/N
CPU: Athlon XP 2000+
Ram: (2) Crucial PC2100 256Mb (512 total)

FSB is currently set to 100Mhz. Boots and works fine BUT the BIOS does not recognized the CPU correctly (it used to). Sometimes the BIOS recognizes the ram as DDR 200, sometimes DDR 266. But it never recognizes the CPU correctly until I set the FSB to 133 and if I do that XP won't boot (always blue screens with varying errors).

I built the system 2 weeks ago and everything worked fine (FSB was set to 100mhz). CPU identified correctly, Ram identified as DDR 200 (which is fine)... everything fine. Went away for a week, came back and now BIOS does not identify things correctly. I have verified all BIOS settings and the only way I can get the CPU to identify correctly is by setting the FSB to 133, then XP will blue screen.

Any ideas on this one ??? Should I try a re-install of XP ???

I have clear CMOS multiple times, always get a CMOS check sum error on 1st boot after reset. Works fine with FSB at 133... next reboot or boot XP will blue screen (always 1 of like 5 different errors)

I just want to know why it stopped working (or possible causing) and how to correct it.

Ok... reinstalled XP... no luck... Purchased Corsair pc2700... awaiting arrival...

Anyone have any ideas ???
April 29, 2003 7:24:43 PM

did you load the motherboard drivers?
start over, if you just built it anyway, take it apart, reset the dimms, vid card, ide etc.. check the cpu seating and cooling, then load windows, load mobo drivers, update windows etc..
check motherboard bios version and compare it to the latest.
see where you are then, since you said you set it up, went away and then it isnt right, there are only 3 possibilities that i can think of.
someone screwed with it while you were gone, it was left on and perhaps overheated or had other hardware related failures while you were away, or you are mistaken as to it running fine before.
maybe you just didnt notice it before.
it cant just magicaly decide to go from good to bad.
i know others will want to diagnose it 1 thing at a time, i say just start over.
i hope it helps you.
April 30, 2003 2:45:41 PM

starting to replace components now... starting with high quality ram... then will try the PSU... everything else has been re-seated multiple times... I'm betting on the PSU since this problem has been posted too and commented on at other boards...
!