Sign in with
Your question

Fallout 3 stops

Last response: in Video Games
March 23, 2009 11:26:15 PM

i ran fallout 3 on my computer before, it worked fine, and nothing bad happened (except for a occasional freeze which was fixed by playing it in windowed mode). That was not my copy, my friend took it back and i liked it so much i decided to buy a copy off of steam. now when i try to run it and start a new game it gets stuck before i choose my gender. i can hear all the machines and i can still press e to cry but nothing happens. also when i load a old saved game most of the characters are stuck in a single pose when moving, stuck in animation. if i talk to them they go back to normal but i cant exactly speak to super mutants running towards me with giant planks
windows vista x64
AMD phenom tri-core processor 2.1 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT
4 gb ram

More about : fallout stops

March 24, 2009 9:20:51 AM

could be a bad steam install, delete local content and reinstall it.
Btw im assuming your friend lent you a retail version. You should also know that your specs are really on the low end and i would expect problems anyway, but if you have run it before then i guess its Steam, or perhaps the 2 games had different versions and a recent patch is screwing you over.
March 24, 2009 12:35:08 PM

Did you completely uninstall the old version before installing the steam version? (I may be clutching at straws!)
Related resources
March 24, 2009 8:20:07 PM

well not exactly... i dont remember exactly but i think i just deleted everything inside the place i downloaded...

damn.. i cant believe i did that. this is a registry problem isnt it.
March 24, 2009 10:11:31 PM

Oh dont go messing around in there manually matey.
Have a look on your add/remove progs list or have a look through installed progs on something like (wait for it...!) Auslogics Boostspeed and see if you can clear up the remnants. Boostspeed also has a registry cleaner / defrag option that will remove all the unwanted / unused parts.
March 26, 2009 1:18:50 AM

well i did that.. but now when i try to run the game it pulls out the launcher and tells me i need to install the game.
March 26, 2009 8:18:02 AM

Hmmm your Steam version pulls out the launcher? Cant be right....

You still got the retail disk in the drive or something?
March 26, 2009 3:39:01 PM

nope.. all my drives are empty. also going directly into fallout3.exe still gives me the launcher
June 23, 2009 1:28:42 AM

I've got the exact same problem where the game gets "stuck" running the retail non steam version running in Windows 7 RC x64. It appears to be a scripting issue as there is a delay in the conversations.

My specs are - i7-920, GTS 250 1GB with 6GB of DDR3 RAM

However it works on my other computer which is about 5 years old running Windows XP 32 bit for a while and then it crashes later on. :fou:  :fou: 
!