Installing a Motherboard

Mightymo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
I recently tried installing an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard in an Antec Case and I would not get any video. It simply wouldn't boot. I sent that one back and they sent me a new one and this time it booted once but then the same thing happend. They think it's a bad power supply that's frying the motherboard so I sent everything back and re-ordered.
My question is, the case has those brass stand offs. Let's say for example the case can hold 15 stand offs and the motherboard only has 14 holes. If you don't realize this and put all 15 stand offs in the case, that means that one stand off will not have a screw. Will this damage the motherboard at all?

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Depending on where that 15th standoff is it could damage the motherboard, the power supply and anything connected to either. If it makes and electrical connection to the board it will cause a short to ground.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I got an Asus A7N8X Deluxe with an Antec 1080 AMG Case. I don't know where you are getting 14 or 15 holes. My board has only 9 holes. I put 9 brass standoffs with the 9 screws included. I thought my board was bad too, I was about to send it back. Then I found out that I had to manually set the memory timings. Now everything runs fine. Here is my system:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
Corsair 512 MB DDR 400
GeForce 4 Ti 4200
Western Digital 80 GB w/8 MB
Seagate 20 GB
DVD drive
Plextor Plexwriter 48*24*48
Antec 1080 AMG Case w/430 watt power supply

Mightymo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
I said for example, I was giving an example. All I want to know is can you fry a motherboard if you have more stand offs than screws. I think I did.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
All I want to know is can you fry a motherboard if you have more stand offs than screws.
The answer is Yes... you can fry a motherboard that way.

--->[Green}It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you can fry a board that way, but usually you don't. Usually the motherboard will detect the grounded circuit and refuse to power up.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>