Early n/w time?

Anyone know if Verizon is planning on getting earlier night times started?
I'd like to change my plan but the rep told me the nights start at 9:00 and
aren't going to change. It's an important enough point to me that I might
have to start looking at different carriers just to get more minutes and the
earlier time.

Thanks.

Michael

Gator

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

I'm thinking the same way. Verizon is starting
to let their success go where it usually does. Although
still have old 8:00 PM start, can see where this type
of thinking will eventually lead. See no viable
alternatives to Verizon at this time, but looking.

I agree about off-peak hours. To Verizon's defense, high usage plans are
way down in price.

"Gator" <gator2@webmail.co.za> wrote in message
> I'm thinking the same way. Verizon is starting
> to let their success go where it usually does. Although
> still have old 8:00 PM start, can see where this type
> of thinking will eventually lead. See no viable
> alternatives to Verizon at this time, but looking.

Then that's what you'll have to do. If you want better plans, such as the
most anytime minutes for your money, look at carriers other than Verizon.
I've been there -- done that. If you want the best wireless service,
stick with Verizon. Maybe the fact that Verizon doesn't give away the
store is the reason it can keep putting billions into maintaining its
network.

"gms238" <gms238@verizon.net> wrote in

> Anyone know if Verizon is planning on getting earlier night times
> started? I'd like to change my plan but the rep told me the nights
> start at 9:00 and aren't going to change. It's an important enough
> point to me that I might have to start looking at different carriers
> just to get more minutes and the earlier time.

I'll agree that VW, IMHO, has the best coverage...I've been very pleased
with my SRW plan that gives me my nights starting at 8:00. More than once
in the mountains of Oregon I've had coverage and others with me haven't.
But it's coming down to a simple matter of economics which puts me between a
rock and a hard place. I have to make calls to the east coast many times
and the hour difference is a lot.
So do I get more minutes for the money, get a 7:00 PM n/w starting time and
accept rotten service, or accept less minutes for the money, a 9:00 PM n/w
starting time, but great service?
I love VW customer service, but bottom line is the bottom line.

Michael

gms238 wrote:
> So do I get more minutes for the money, get a 7:00 PM n/w starting time and
> accept rotten service, or accept less minutes for the money, a 9:00 PM n/w
> starting time, but great service?

You could always get two mobile phones :)

Get a cheapo on T-mobile or whoever gives the early start time and use
that when appropriate, and then also use the VZW phone when in worse
coverage areas.

It may work out cheaper for you to get a $40 plan from one carrier
and a $40 plan for VZW than one plan from VZW.

Roger

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"gms238" <gms238@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'll agree that VW, IMHO, has the best coverage...I've been very pleased
> with my SRW plan that gives me my nights starting at 8:00. More than once
> in the mountains of Oregon I've had coverage and others with me haven't.
> But it's coming down to a simple matter of economics which puts me between
> rock and a hard place. I have to make calls to the east coast many times
> and the hour difference is a lot.
> So do I get more minutes for the money, get a 7:00 PM n/w starting time
and
> accept rotten service, or accept less minutes for the money, a 9:00 PM n/w
> starting time, but great service?
> I love VW customer service, but bottom line is the bottom line.

I find that peak/off peak has become less important because many of our
friends and relatives are also VZW users. So we use "IN network" heavily and
have more plan minutes to use when needed.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 05:51:08 GMT, "gms238" <gms238@verizon.net> wrote:

>Anyone know if Verizon is planning on getting earlier night times started?
>I'd like to change my plan but the rep told me the nights start at 9:00 and
>aren't going to change. It's an important enough point to me that I might
>have to start looking at different carriers just to get more minutes and the
>earlier time.

Sure, who cares about reliable coverage if you have 7PM nights.

In article <h7h9d0hu0v703cjv7qtam88qo4mrl9iopf@4ax.com>,
Evan Platt <evan@TheObvious.espphotography.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 05:51:08 GMT, "gms238" <gms238@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Anyone know if Verizon is planning on getting earlier night times started?
>>I'd like to change my plan but the rep told me the nights start at 9:00 and
>>aren't going to change. It's an important enough point to me that I might
>>have to start looking at different carriers just to get more minutes and the
>>earlier time.
>
>Sure, who cares about reliable coverage if you have 7PM nights.

In some areas, Verizon has not very good coverage, and other carriers
have more reliable coverage. Methinks you are generalizing based on
your experience.

Maybe the original poster lives somewhere where other carriers provide as
good or better coverage than Verizon, and he can get both 7pm nights and
better coverage.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:41:15 GMT, mch@darkhunger.com (Mark Henderson)
wrote:

>In some areas, Verizon has not very good coverage, and other carriers
>have more reliable coverage. Methinks you are generalizing based on
>your experience.

I'm generalizing based on Verizon's overall nationwide coverage map.

>Maybe the original poster lives somewhere where other carriers provide as
>good or better coverage than Verizon, and he can get both 7pm nights and
>better coverage.

.... locally, yes - however overall nationwide Verizon has the best
coverage.

Evan

Actually I live in the Portland, OR area, so in the metro sector almost
everyone has good coverage. Most of the travel I need to do or that my wife
needs to do on business are in major metro areas, so the coverage/reliable
coverage issue becomes somewhat less of a problem. The bottom line/economic
issue is certainly more of a concern of ours. I do hate to give up the good
coverage (and might just stay with Verizon), but I'm wondering if I hate to
lose the money more. Bottom line for self-employed people/small business
owners is something to continually be concerned about. OTOH, so is reliable
coverage....sigh...

Thanks for the input. The two carrier option is one I hadn't thought of,
but might actually be workable.

Thanks.

Michael