peer to peer

I have a simple (1 pc, 1 laptop) network. It runs fine with no
security (internet access, peer to peer, etc). Soon as I try and add
security, WEP or WPA, I lose my peer to peer although internet access
is not effected. The laptop is running XP and the PC windows 2000.
The access point is a NETGEAR 602V2 AND the laptop is an HP with a
broadcom 54g board.

Thanks............

By peer to peer, do you mean computers on the LAN or computers on the
internet? If the former, IPX/SPX stopped working after a firmware revision
for my WRT54G when encryption was turned on (I don't know if new firmware
has fixed this). The solution was to uninstall IPX/SPX and use NetBIOS over
TCP/IP instead. When I use NetBIOS over TCP/IP, I cannot initially "see"
the other computer but connecting to it using its LAN IP address (e.g.
\\192.168.1.50) works.

-Yves

"johnwhite" <drufus2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a simple (1 pc, 1 laptop) network. It runs fine with no
> security (internet access, peer to peer, etc). Soon as I try and add
> security, WEP or WPA, I lose my peer to peer although internet access
> is not effected. The laptop is running XP and the PC windows 2000.
> The access point is a NETGEAR 602V2 AND the laptop is an HP with a
> broadcom 54g board.
>
> Thanks............

: I have a simple (1 pc, 1 laptop) network. It runs fine with no
: security (internet access, peer to peer, etc). Soon as I try and add
: security, WEP or WPA, I lose my peer to peer although internet access
: is not effected. The laptop is running XP and the PC windows 2000.
: The access point is a NETGEAR 602V2 AND the laptop is an HP with a
: broadcom 54g board.

You have to set the same WEP keys, both on your PC and laptop.
Otherwise it won't work.

m.

--
milea wireless communications, http://milea.pl
WLAN-FAQ: http://milea.pl/pl/wlan-faq/

main() {int j=-1;char t[]="eYadlg2eYj[af8ead]Y&hd\n";while(t[j]!='\n') { putchar(t[++j]+'\10');} return 0;}

"Yves Konigshofer" <yvesk@sStTaAnNfFoOrRdD.edu> wrote in message news:<chao4b$rpt$1@news.Stanford.EDU>...
> By peer to peer, do you mean computers on the LAN or computers on the
> internet? If the former, IPX/SPX stopped working after a firmware revision
> for my WRT54G when encryption was turned on (I don't know if new firmware
> has fixed this). The solution was to uninstall IPX/SPX and use NetBIOS over
> TCP/IP instead. When I use NetBIOS over TCP/IP, I cannot initially "see"
> the other computer but connecting to it using its LAN IP address (e.g.
> \\192.168.1.50) works.
>
> -Yves
I could do the netbios thing. The problem is that the laptop is
running with the minimal XP and it doesn't offer netbios as a
protocol. Perhaps if I take the machine to XP pro (I would prefer
w2000, which is on my pc but then I would be forced to redo the entire
laptop which I may be forced to do anyway)

> "johnwhite" <drufus2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I have a simple (1 pc, 1 laptop) network. It runs fine with no
> > security (internet access, peer to peer, etc). Soon as I try and add
> > security, WEP or WPA, I lose my peer to peer although internet access
> > is not effected. The laptop is running XP and the PC windows 2000.
> > The access point is a NETGEAR 602V2 AND the laptop is an HP with a
> > broadcom 54g board.
> >
> > Thanks............

aspicer

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004

Yves Konigshofer Wrote:
> By peer to peer, do you mean computers on the LAN or computers on the
> internet? If the former, IPX/SPX stopped working after a firmware
> revision
> for my WRT54G when encryption was turned on (I don't know if new
> firmware
> has fixed this). The solution was to uninstall IPX/SPX and use NetBIOS
> over
> TCP/IP instead. When I use NetBIOS over TCP/IP, I cannot initially
> "see"
> the other computer but connecting to it using its LAN IP address (e.g.
> \\192.168.1.50) works.
>
> -Yves
>
> "johnwhite" <drufus2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I have a simple (1 pc, 1 laptop) network. It runs fine with no
> > security (internet access, peer to peer, etc). Soon as I try and add
> > security, WEP or WPA, I lose my peer to peer although internet access
> > is not effected. The laptop is running XP and the PC windows 2000.
> > The access point is a NETGEAR 602V2 AND the laptop is an HP with a
> > broadcom 54g board.
> >
> > Thanks............
* I'm glad made that post. I had been trying to discover why when I
went wireless via WRT54G routers I all of a sudden wasn't able to reach
the other machine on my Windows (XP) local network. The other machine
was upgraded from Windows Me. After I read your post tonight, I went
and checked and removed Netware Client which took out IPX/SPX. After
that, immediately peer-to-peer networking started working again. I had
noticed that Netbios Name resolution wasn't working ... and that I
could access the other machine by IP Address, as you described as well.

And this is across 2 WRT54G's running SVEASOFT firmware doing Wireless
Distribution System. And it works great!

Thank you for posting! And thank you Wifi-forum.com!!!!

---
Alan Spicer

--
aspicer

aspicer

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004

johnwhite Wrote:
> "Yves Konigshofer" <yvesk@sStTaAnNfFoOrRdD.edu> wrote in message
> I could do the netbios thing. The problem is that the laptop is
> running with the minimal XP and it doesn't offer netbios as a
> protocol. Perhaps if I take the machine to XP pro (I would prefer
> w2000, which is on my pc but then I would be forced to redo the entire
> laptop which I may be forced to do anyway)

* It shouldn't be so difficult for you to install/enable NetBIOS. I'm
trying to understand how you did such a minimal install of XP (Home or
Pro or whatever) that doesn't have the capability to enable that.

I do know that XP Home cannot join an Active Directory (or an NT?)
Domain, but it shouldn't have a problem doing peer smb/netbios
networking.

---
Alan Spicer

--