Start Menu Question Please

I just did a reinstall of XP and everything is fine. I do have one question
however. When I installed, in the start menu under all programs, I was
showing notepad and WordPad under accessories, and when I installed WORD, it
showed in the all programs section. I created shortcuts on the destop by
dragging the icon, but I think I used the left button in the drag. I have
shortcuts on the desktop but nothing in the start menu in all programs.
Can I get these to show up in the start menu again. I think I transferred
the icons rather than copied them:-) In other words, how can I undo this and
then just copy those icons to the desktop?
Thanks
Dudley
7 answers Last reply
More about start menu question please

    Use right click to drag and drop. Select "copy".

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:%23L9QuVHHFHA.3092@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    |I just did a reinstall of XP and everything is fine. I do have one question
    | however. When I installed, in the start menu under all programs, I was
    | showing notepad and WordPad under accessories, and when I installed WORD, it
    | showed in the all programs section. I created shortcuts on the destop by
    | dragging the icon, but I think I used the left button in the drag. I have
    | shortcuts on the desktop but nothing in the start menu in all programs.
    | Can I get these to show up in the start menu again. I think I transferred
    | the icons rather than copied them:-) In other words, how can I undo this and
    | then just copy those icons to the desktop?
    | Thanks
    | Dudley

    Yup! That would most likely be the part where I said, "but I think I used
    the left button in the drag. " :-))
    My problem is undoing what seems to have been a left drag and drop to create
    a shortcut on the desktop which has taken the icons off the start menu all
    programs list. They are however listed on the left top section of the start
    menu. (but no longer in the add programs list)
    What I need is to find out how to get these programs back on that list, or
    if they should be simply appearing on the top start menu as they are now.
    Thanks
    "» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote in message
    Use right click to drag and drop. Select "copy".

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    |I just did a reinstall of XP and everything is fine. I do have one question
    | however. When I installed, in the start menu under all programs, I was
    | showing notepad and WordPad under accessories, and when I installed WORD,
    it
    | showed in the all programs section. I created shortcuts on the destop by
    | dragging the icon, but I think I used the left button in the drag. I have
    | shortcuts on the desktop but nothing in the start menu in all programs.
    | Can I get these to show up in the start menu again. I think I transferred
    | the icons rather than copied them:-) In other words, how can I undo this
    and
    | then just copy those icons to the desktop?
    | Thanks
    | Dudley

    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:%23i66xLRHFHA.4060@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    | Yup! That would most likely be the part where I said, "but I think I used
    | the left button in the drag. " :-))
    | My problem is undoing what seems to have been a left drag and drop to create
    | a shortcut on the desktop which has taken the icons off the start menu all
    | programs list. They are however listed on the left top section of the start
    | menu. (but no longer in the add programs list)
    | What I need is to find out how to get these programs back on that list, or
    | if they should be simply appearing on the top start menu as they are now.
    | Thanks

    Thank you for taking the time with this, but I must be missing something
    obvious that I should be doing. If I unpin....say Wordpad from the upper
    left start menu. then reboot the computer, Wordpad doesn't appear in the add
    programs side of things. It's how to get it into the add programs menu that
    is the missing link for me. What do I have to do to get Wordpad to appear in
    that add programs side again AFTER I unpin it from the Start Menu?
    Dudley
    "» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote in message
    you recreate it in the all programs menu » right click / copy whereever you
    want it.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | Yup! That would most likely be the part where I said, "but I think I used
    | the left button in the drag. " :-))
    | My problem is undoing what seems to have been a left drag and drop to
    create
    | a shortcut on the desktop which has taken the icons off the start menu all
    | programs list. They are however listed on the left top section of the
    start
    | menu. (but no longer in the add programs list)
    | What I need is to find out how to get these programs back on that list, or
    | if they should be simply appearing on the top start menu as they are now.
    | Thanks

    I think I found out how to do it. I did it this way; tell me if it's wrong
    will you please.
    I opened Windows Explorer and went to start "accessories", I copied the icon
    shortcuts for both Notepad and Wordpad and pasted them into this folder.
    Both now appear as shortcuts in the add programs menu.
    For Word, I copied the icon from the desktop and pasted it into the start
    menu "programs" folder in Windows Explorer. It now appears in the add remove
    programs list as well.
    Did I do this correctly?
    Many thanks for your advice on this.
    Dudley
    "» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote in message
    you recreate it in the all programs menu » right click / copy whereever you
    want it.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    | Yup! That would most likely be the part where I said, "but I think I used
    | the left button in the drag. " :-))
    | My problem is undoing what seems to have been a left drag and drop to
    create
    | a shortcut on the desktop which has taken the icons off the start menu all
    | programs list. They are however listed on the left top section of the
    start
    | menu. (but no longer in the add programs list)
    | What I need is to find out how to get these programs back on that list, or
    | if they should be simply appearing on the top start menu as they are now.
    | Thanks

    As long as you have it where you want it, what difference does it make how you got it there?

    When the 'l did add/remove programs come into the picture? This is the 1st time you mentioned it.

    I read the thread in the other group as well.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:%23GDBOrTHFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    |I think I found out how to do it. I did it this way; tell me if it's wrong
    | will you please.
    | I opened Windows Explorer and went to start "accessories", I copied the icon
    | shortcuts for both Notepad and Wordpad and pasted them into this folder.
    | Both now appear as shortcuts in the add programs menu.
    | For Word, I copied the icon from the desktop and pasted it into the start
    | menu "programs" folder in Windows Explorer. It now appears in the add remove
    | programs list as well.
    | Did I do this correctly?
    | Many thanks for your advice on this.
    | Dudley

    I miss typed that. It shouldn't have said "add remove"....just the add
    programs list. Sorry for the confusion.
    What happened here is simply that since I'm a single user and always have
    been, the way XP sets up the documents and settings for all users and for me
    specifically by name has always sort of been a puzzlement to me. Some
    settings seem to be assigned to both folder trees; some in one some in the
    other.
    When I went into WE to paste back the icons, I just happened to pick the
    right tree (all users) and pasted them in. Naturally they appeared on the
    add programs list after that. Then when I went back to check something, I
    accidentally opened the Dudley Henriques Start folder and the icons weren't
    there of course. I didn't realize at that time that I was looking "up the
    wrong tree" so to speak :-)) The absence of the icons was puzzling, so I
    posted the question.
    I think I have it it straight now. What happened to me was that when I went
    to make the shortcuts for the desktop, I should have either made a second
    shortcut, then dragged that to the desktop, or right clicked and copied it
    that way. I simply dragged the icon off the add programs menu and put it on
    the desktop. Then when it was missing in the add programs bar, my post
    followed.
    Thanks for your help. I'm sorry if what I posted sounded stupid, but these
    things happen once in a while. :-)
    Dudley

    As long as you have it where you want it, what difference does it make how
    you got it there?

    When the 'l did add/remove programs come into the picture? This is the 1st
    time you mentioned it.

    I read the thread in the other group as well.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    |I think I found out how to do it. I did it this way; tell me if it's wrong
    | will you please.
    | I opened Windows Explorer and went to start "accessories", I copied the
    icon
    | shortcuts for both Notepad and Wordpad and pasted them into this folder.
    | Both now appear as shortcuts in the add programs menu.
    | For Word, I copied the icon from the desktop and pasted it into the start
    | menu "programs" folder in Windows Explorer. It now appears in the add
    remove
    | programs list as well.
    | Did I do this correctly?
    | Many thanks for your advice on this.