How to remove desktop icons w/out deleting?

scot

Setting up WindowsXP Home 2002 SP2 on a new system. How do I remove all of
the pre-bundled, and rather useless icons, that appear on the desktop
without literally deleting them from the system? Doing a Properties / Hide
only seems to gray them out, rather than truly hiding them.

Thanks,

When installing a new installation of Windows XP,
the only icon that appears on the Desktop is the Recycle
Bin. What other icons are your referring to?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Scot" wrote:

| Setting up WindowsXP Home 2002 SP2 on a new system. How do I remove all of
| the pre-bundled, and rather useless icons, that appear on the desktop
| without literally deleting them from the system? Doing a Properties / Hide
| only seems to gray them out, rather than truly hiding them.
|
| Thanks,

scot

Other icons include those bundled with a Sony system -- Quicken, AOL,
Netscape, Norton Internet Security, SpySubtract, various VAIO icons, etc. I
just now found the answer by Right-Ckicking on the screen / Arrange Icons by
/ Show Desktop Icons (which I would UNcheck to cause all icons to
disappear). What I'd like to do is selectively make certain icons disappear
but retain others such as Recycle Bin and a VAIO icon. Is it possible to
keep some visible while making others disappear without literally deleting
them from the system?

> When installing a new installation of Windows XP,
> the only icon that appears on the Desktop is the Recycle
> Bin. What other icons are your referring to?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

> "Scot" wrote:
>
> | Setting up WindowsXP Home 2002 SP2 on a new system. How do I remove all
> of
> | the pre-bundled, and rather useless icons, that appear on the desktop
> | without literally deleting them from the system? Doing a Properties /
> Hide
> | only seems to gray them out, rather than truly hiding them.
> |
> | Thanks,

Right-click on each Desktop icon you wish to delete
and select "delete".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Scot" wrote:

| Other icons include those bundled with a Sony system -- Quicken, AOL,
| Netscape, Norton Internet Security, SpySubtract, various VAIO icons, etc. I
| just now found the answer by Right-Ckicking on the screen / Arrange Icons by
| / Show Desktop Icons (which I would UNcheck to cause all icons to
| disappear). What I'd like to do is selectively make certain icons disappear
| but retain others such as Recycle Bin and a VAIO icon. Is it possible to
| keep some visible while making others disappear without literally deleting
| them from the system?

Create a folder, drag all the icons you want to hide into it, move that
folder to My Documents. Or run the desktop cleanup wizard, which does the
same except for moving the resulting folder off the desktop (which you could
do after running the wizard.)

In news:WxbUd.6670$873.3644@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net,
Scot <greatscotinla@hotmail.com> typed:

> Setting up WindowsXP Home 2002 SP2 on a new system. How do I
> remove
> all of the pre-bundled, and rather useless icons, that appear
> on the
> desktop without literally deleting them from the system? Doing
> Properties / Hide only seems to gray them out, rather than
> truly
> hiding them.

Desktop icons are normally just shortcuts (you can tell they are
shortcuts by the small arrow in their lower left corner). A
shortcut is just a pointer to a program not the program itself.
Just click on them and press delete.

Please reply to the newsgroup