Oblivion issues

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
ok this may have been asked, however the forums came up empty as did google.. I am hoping the good people here can help me..

I have been playing oblivion off an on for a while now... ( i am not that far cuz there is always another game that gets me sidetracked) anyhow, when i first installed oblivion this problem did not occur... the game ran beautifully smooth no lag when loading new areas or anything never paused...now is a different story though... nothign new that I can think of... but every time an enemy comes near me the game pauses for a good 30seconds... and the hard drive thrashes... maybe someone else can figure this out?

I have tried disabling sound in the ini to no avail.. chceck my hd's they are all fine smart wise and defragged. i also uninstalled and reinstalled my codecs from k-lite..uninstalled the game and reinstalled it and it still persists.. I should note also that no other games seem to pose any problems I play crysis, cod 4 and waw along with 27 other games ....my hardware is below

Vista X64

core 2 Duo e7200 oc @ 3.9GHz

8GB DDR2800

Main HD 400GB DVR drive 160GB storage drive samsung F1 1TB and a 500GB external for storage backup all drives are optimized for speed in device manager

8800GT 512MB

Asus sata DVD burner

Arctic freezer 7 pro

Rosewill RD450 PSU 435 W max

all resideing in an older Antec dragon soho case all steel... and heavy too... lol

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
tried an uninstall / reinstall?
Did this only happen after a driver update? go back a version.

defrag the HDD. test the HDD for errors. drop everything to its lowest setting and see if you get problems.

I type "oblivion stuttering problems" into google and got loads of answers!

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Ive had a think over a day or so as well and the only thing that comes to mind is a recent patch interferring...thats dependant on your reinstall process though (example: Vanilla retail version patched to full before tested when you reinstalled).
Might find time to do a bit of googling later tonight...keep checking back mate.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008

right this isn't a stuttering problem.. this is a 10-30 second pause... which is what I searched for.. and came up with possible sound problems which caused me to uninstall and reinstall sound drivers.. and update them... to no avail.....my HD is defragged every night at 2 am...HD comes up clean.. I even tried to install on a different hd

Phadme

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Check the requirements of the game, if you meet the requirement then try to reinstall the game... if you reinstall delete the previous folder and try to install new

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
You get used to those sorta posts Hard Line.
Mr "I didnt really read your problem but will solve it anyway with some generic fix assuming you know sod all about PC's"

Anyway nothing yet. I dont spose Bethesda support has been much cop?
Another constant in your process is the media by the sounds of things, could it have got slightly corrupted during all those reinstalls?
Perhaps burning an .iso from a friends copy and ruling that out might be worth a (long) shot.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008

Unfortunately, besthesda forums were no help.. I turned here after I got nothing over there....still trying things out.. I don't even have any mods for it

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Ok ... I am not sure exactly what I did... but I managed to fix it... I uninstalled all intel chipset drivers, graphics drivers, and sound drivers... completely from my system and told windows to delete the files.. I then reinstalled the newest ones, I then uninstalled oblivion, downloaded an iso to replace my dvd, and installed.... then updated .. and now it runs absolutely beautiful!!!! no lag at all maxed settings at 1680X1050 shadows on grass all distances as high as I can go.. and I am getting 30-48 FPS outside and up to 115 indoors ( measuring through fraps ) thank you to everyone who tried to help...again not sure which rocedure fixed it but i am glad cuz I was about to reinstall windows..... lol

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008

Oh I will; thank you... just wish I knew what the problem was in case i have to do it again lol I am going to guess it was the intel performace something ( i forgot tyhe name)