Sign in with
Your question

Fraps murdering my fps in CoD5

Last response: in Video Games
March 24, 2009 6:26:09 PM

I don't get it. I was recording a few clips from various games yesterday and when I tried to do Call of Duty 5, things got weird. Its fine with fraps running as long as its not recording, I get right around 50-60 fps. But as soon as I start it recording it drops way down to like 17-20 fps. Why is that? I know recording with fraps decreases the fps, but it shouldn't be by that much! I was getting around 30 fps on Crysis with fraps recording and about 35 on GTA4 with the new patch. So why doesn't it like CoD5?
March 25, 2009 8:44:31 AM

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
Gigabyte MA78GM-S2HP
4GB G. Skill DDR2 800
Sapphire Radeon HD4850
320GB Western Digital SATA
Samsung Super WriteMaster DVD-RW
Raidmax Smilodon Extreme Black, 585W PSU
XP Pro

I think this will come down to graphical settings. You are not a million miles away from my setup, and i could get 30fps on crysis with fraps running but at crappy settings.

Is it simply a case of running CoD on high settings, therefore more for FRAPS to process, and Crysis / GTA IV on relativley low settings?
March 25, 2009 12:06:27 PM

I think you may test E.M FREE GAME CAPTURE. May be it will be help for your trouble. Here is the link: www.effectmatrix.com/Game-Capture/index.htm
E.M. Free Game Capture is a tool that records games of high-Def 3D, 2D directdraw and OpenGl or changes of the desktop to various video files in any FPS.
Related resources
March 25, 2009 1:02:10 PM

pr2thej said:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
Gigabyte MA78GM-S2HP
4GB G. Skill DDR2 800
Sapphire Radeon HD4850
XP Pro

I think this will come down to graphical settings. You are not a million miles away from my setup, and i could get 30fps on crysis with fraps running but at crappy settings.

Is it simply a case of running CoD on high settings, therefore more for FRAPS to process, and Crysis / GTA IV on relativley low settings?

Actually, I need to update my specs. I now have a Phenom II X4 810. And on Crysis I'm using all high settings, 2x AA, 1280 x 720. I would imagine the relatively low resolution probably accounts for me getting somewhat decent fps. Still, I can run CoD 4 maxed out and maybe lose 5 frames while recording, but on CoD 5 maxed out I lose around 30 frames. Is CoD 5 that much more demanding than 4? It just seems like an incredible drop to me. But I will try it with reduced settings and see what happens.
March 25, 2009 1:03:11 PM

pr2thej said:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
Gigabyte MA78GM-S2HP
4GB G. Skill DDR2 800
Sapphire Radeon HD4850
XP Pro

effectvod said:
I think you may test E.M FREE GAME CAPTURE. May be it will be help for your trouble. Here is the link: www.effectmatrix.com/Game-Capture/index.htm
E.M. Free Game Capture is a tool that records games of high-Def 3D, 2D directdraw and OpenGl or changes of the desktop to various video files in any FPS.

Thanks. I will check that out.
!