98 to XP Home now CD-Rom problem

February 27, 2005 6:23:06 PM

Upgraded by daughters IBM from 98 to XP Home. After install, CD-Rom wasn't
recognized. TDK site says it's a plug n play device and no drivers are
needed.

Worked fine under 98 and during the install. The 1st time I rebooted after
the install, it didn't show up in Explorer. The 2nd time it showed up, but
wasn't accessible.

Put in a autoplay CD, and it spins up but doesn't open.

Any suggestions?
RAD

More about : home rom problem

February 27, 2005 7:30:43 PM

"Dick Downey" <radowney@muscanet.com> wrote in message
> Upgraded by daughters IBM from 98 to XP Home. After install, CD-Rom wasn't
> recognized. TDK site says it's a plug n play device and no drivers are
> needed.
>
> Worked fine under 98 and during the install. The 1st time I rebooted after
> the install, it didn't show up in Explorer. The 2nd time it showed up, but
> wasn't accessible.
>
> Put in a autoplay CD, and it spins up but doesn't open.
>
> Any suggestions?
> RAD

Open Device Manager by right clicking on MY Computer, properties, hardware
tab, then Device Manager button. Expand tree next to CDROM devices, slect
the device in question, and delete it. Go here
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip and download, extract and then run
the Reg files. Reboot, then let Windows detect again the device, and see if
this works.

*Before doing any of the above, create a restore point using System restore,
this will back up your registry just in case.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:35:11 AM

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "Dick Downey" <radowney@muscanet.com> wrote in message
>> Upgraded by daughters IBM from 98 to XP Home. After install, CD-Rom
>> wasn't recognized. TDK site says it's a plug n play device and no
>> drivers are needed.
>>
>> Worked fine under 98 and during the install. The 1st time I rebooted
>> after the install, it didn't show up in Explorer. The 2nd time it showed
>> up, but wasn't accessible.
>>
>> Put in a autoplay CD, and it spins up but doesn't open.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>> RAD
>>

> Open Device Manager by right clicking on MY Computer, properties, hardware
> tab, then Device Manager button. Expand tree next to CDROM devices, slect
> the device in question, and delete it. Go here
> http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip and download, extract and then
> run the Reg files. Reboot, then let Windows detect again the device, and
> see if this works.
>
> *Before doing any of the above, create a restore point using System
> restore, this will back up your registry just in case.

No CDROM catagory in Device Manager tree. So I used the cdgone zip and
rebooted with no effect.
February 28, 2005 7:55:16 PM

New drive by the sound of things!!
Mike...

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 8:05:53 PM

Your right, swapped drives. Worked fine.

!