Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

GTA IV and Decent Graphics Card

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Graphics Cards
  • PCI Express
  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in PC Gaming
March 25, 2009 3:57:50 PM

I currently have an Asus RadeOn x1950 Pro 256MB PCI-E Card. It is barely able to run GTA IV, but it handles Crysis very well in Medium Settings. I don't understand what the deal is. Is that bad programming on the part of rockstar games? Or is it badly programmed drivers? I'm unable to get GTA IV to run at anything other than low settings, as my card supposedly doesn't have enough memory. The graphics look like cr@p at low settings.

Any recommendations on a DX10 card that will handle this game and others really well? I want the best bang for the buck, for under $150 if possible. I was considering one of the two following cards, or at least a card from one of the following gpu families:

SAPPHIRE 100258-1GL Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail ($169 shipped from the egg)

or

PNY VCG98GTXPXPB GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail ($160 shipped from the egg with a $40 MIR)

Although I wouldn't normally buy a video card just to play a single game, it is about time for me to move up to the next big thing. I've had my x1950 for 2 or 3 years now. I'd love to find something for under $100 but just don't think that is going to happen. Any constructiver input would be appeciated. Thanks!

-- MaSoP

More about : gta decent graphics card

March 25, 2009 4:19:04 PM

My 4850 does a decent job on GTA IV...theres not a huge amount between the 2 cards to be fair aside from consumer bias.

Im amazed you are getting Medium out of a 1950pro on Crysis tbh, and yes video memory plays an important part in GTA IV, especially as there are still (i think) some memory leak issues which are not solved, but lessened by a more up to date GPU.
March 25, 2009 4:31:12 PM

pr2thej said:
My 4850 does a decent job on GTA IV...theres not a huge amount between the 2 cards to be fair aside from consumer bias.

Im amazed you are getting Medium out of a 1950pro on Crysis tbh, and yes video memory plays an important part in GTA IV, especially as there are still (i think) some memory leak issues which are not solved, but lessened by a more up to date GPU.


Well, when I play games like Crysis I try to minimize the firefights I get involved in to lessen the slowdown of the game. Things such as playing in stealth mode (not all the time, but often). However there are parts of these games when you simply can't avoid that.

Other games like Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, Fear 2 and Left 4 Dead all have played really well also with smooth frame rates on medium to high (custom) settings depending upon the game. Crysis will slow down if there is too much activity on any given screen, but overall it plays well in medium mode. I've never been able to get it to play in High or above for obvious hardware limitation reasons. Thanks for the response!

-- MaSoP
Related resources
March 25, 2009 5:45:42 PM

You should look at 4870 1GB or GTX 260
March 25, 2009 7:17:10 PM

ainarssems said:
You should look at 4870 1GB or GTX 260


SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail ($198 shipped from the egg)

BFG Tech BFGEGTX260MC896OCE GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail ($188 shipped from the egg)

I'll put those 2 GPU's into consideration. I just wish I had more funds to work with. May have to wait, in order to get close to $200 smackers for a card. Thanks. :-)

-- MaSoP



March 25, 2009 8:36:47 PM

For $150 You could also consider 1GB GTS250/9800 GTX+ not the 512MB . Both are basically the same card. And price on newegg starts from $145 for GTS250 with rebates or $150 without.
March 25, 2009 10:50:29 PM

There is a lot said about how CPU heavy the this game is. I dunno what you got in yours but wouldnt want you spendin all your cash on a new GPU and still not be happy.
March 25, 2009 11:19:18 PM

To be fair we dont know the CPU. Might be packing an i7 (with a 1950 yes lol!)
March 26, 2009 4:56:59 PM

pr2thej said:
To be fair we dont know the CPU. Might be packing an i7 (with a 1950 yes lol!)


My bad. Although I'm not sporting a Core i7, I am running an Athlon X2 5600+ (2.9GHz) AM2 on an Asus M2N-E Mainboard with 4GB of OCZ Platinum Rev 2 PC2-6400 Memory (3.5GB available in XP SP3 32-bit). I've got 3 WD 640GB Caviar SE16 Hard Drives in my system and 1 WD 250GB SE16 Hard Drive.

-- MaSoP
March 26, 2009 5:03:03 PM

ainarssems said:
For $150 You could also consider 1GB GTS250/9800 GTX+ not the 512MB . Both are basically the same card. And price on newegg starts from $145 for GTS250 with rebates or $150 without.


I noticed the GTS200 series when I was browsing the egg the other day, but ignored them. I hadn't heard of it until then. How do the GTS200 series GPU's compare to the GTX and the RadeOn 4000 series? I don't recall seeing them in the graphics charts here on tom's. I assume they are slower versions of the GTX counterparts?

-- MaSoP

March 26, 2009 5:36:35 PM

GTS250 is the same 9800GTX+ just a new name. Also You probably want better cpu for GTAIV. It makes good use of extra cores. My Q6600 @3.2GHz is running at 80% load on all 4 cores with GTAIV
March 26, 2009 5:48:34 PM

ainarssems said:
GTS250 is the same 9800GTX+ just a new name. Also You probably want better cpu for GTAIV. It makes good use of extra cores. My Q6600 @3.2GHz is running at 80% load on all 4 cores with GTAIV


Ouch. Why so cpu hungry? That seems to buck the system these days. I figured a dual core 2.9GHz processor would be sufficient for most games, even these days. Thanks for the info.

-- MaSoP
March 26, 2009 5:50:29 PM

IT's CPU heavy cos of the nature of the game. Huge landscape with lots of free roaming, interacting NPCs who can drive vehicles.
March 26, 2009 6:11:54 PM

mi1ez said:
IT's CPU heavy cos of the nature of the game. Huge landscape with lots of free roaming, interacting NPCs who can drive vehicles.


Well, I played previous GTA Games on my system in the past (obviously not as fast as it is now, but still) without issues at the time. I suppose they have gone all out on this version. I suppose i'll just have to deal with it or go with another game, as my funds are limited. I had considered a Phenom X4 but decided against it due to the likelihood of overheating in my office. My 5600+ averages in the mid 40's to mid 50's C, even with the case open and plenty of air circulation. The office has to be in the mid 60's or cooler to keep the system running cooler than the mid 40's C.

-- MaSoP
March 26, 2009 6:28:53 PM

Quote:
Ouch. Why so cpu hungry? That seems to buck the system these days. I figured a dual core 2.9GHz processor would be sufficient for most games, even these days. Thanks for the info


If You check GTAIV recommended requirements on =http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/#?page=pc&content=information You will see Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz or Phenom x3 2.1GHz as recomended.
I do not know if Your m/b supports it but AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz for $135.99 would be good choice if it does.
March 26, 2009 6:52:24 PM

ainarssems said:
Quote:
Ouch. Why so cpu hungry? That seems to buck the system these days. I figured a dual core 2.9GHz processor would be sufficient for most games, even these days. Thanks for the info


If You check GTAIV recommended requirements on =http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/#?page=pc&content=information You will see Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz or Phenom x3 2.1GHz as recomended.
I do not know if Your m/b supports it but AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz for $135.99 would be good choice if it does.


I never checked the system req. I assumed based on all the other recent mid-high end games I've been playing, that my system would handle it alright. I obviously was wrong. I'll remember to check the next time.

The M2N-E does support up to the Phenom X4 9950 with BIOS Rev 1504, but not the Phenom II. All I would need is to carefully flash the bios before hand to add X4 CPU support. That processor would effectively be running at 2x my current 65w 5600+ runs at. I doubt I could keep it from overheating without having a water cooling solution or keeping the office in the low 60's F or cooler.

I'm afraid that is not an option. The Core 2 Quads run at less wattage and should run much cooler as a result. Unfortunately that would result in having to upgrade my mainboard and maybe the memory as well along with the processor. I suppose I could go for an X4 9450 which is 65w, just like my X2 is. The cores independantly would be slower than my X2, but have more total cache and overall processing power. The egg doesn't sell those models though, only the 95w and 125w ones. Oh well. I think I'll hold off on any new hardware for now.

-- MaSoP
March 27, 2009 8:47:39 AM

GTA IV is the new PC Killer game at the mo. Ive not read a single post / report on anyone being able to max it yet.
March 28, 2009 1:07:21 PM

I am running a Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 1GB. The main reason I got it was for running GTA IV. However, I was slightly dissapointed when I installed it and then ran the game, as the performance was not improved a great deal (was upgrading from an 8800gts 320). At the time I was running and Athlon X2 5000+. After installing the patches, the performance did improve somewhat noticeably. But what really changed the performance for me was when I got a Phenom II X4 810. I actually get playable framerates now (around 40 or so). However, keep in mind I am using an HDTV as a monitor, so I am only playing at a resolution of 1280 x 720.
March 28, 2009 3:24:16 PM

matic3060 said:
I am running a Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 1GB. The main reason I got it was for running GTA IV. However, I was slightly dissapointed when I installed it and then ran the game, as the performance was not improved a great deal (was upgrading from an 8800gts 320). At the time I was running and Athlon X2 5000+. After installing the patches, the performance did improve somewhat noticeably. But what really changed the performance for me was when I got a Phenom II X4 810. I actually get playable framerates now (around 40 or so). However, keep in mind I am using an HDTV as a monitor, so I am only playing at a resolution of 1280 x 720.



It seems to be that the gaming landscape is finally changing, moving towards the utilization of multi-threading. I checked and I could get a Phenom X3 2.1GHz (65W) for around $80 or so. The problem is in locating one. I forget the exact model. I've got a Samsung 19" LCD, so although the panel handles 1440x900 natively, I run it at 1024x768, as I do with all of my games. I'm not concerned with massive resolutions for gaming. I'm happy with 1024x768 at 60, 72 or 75hz. Thanks for the input!

-- MaSoP
June 20, 2009 6:00:53 PM

masop said:
Well, I played previous GTA Games on my system in the past (obviously not as fast as it is now, but still) without issues at the time. I suppose they have gone all out on this version. I suppose i'll just have to deal with it or go with another game, as my funds are limited. I had considered a Phenom X4 but decided against it due to the likelihood of overheating in my office. My 5600+ averages in the mid 40's to mid 50's C, even with the case open and plenty of air circulation. The office has to be in the mid 60's or cooler to keep the system running cooler than the mid 40's C.

-- MaSoP


I ran GTA IV on a 9950 oc'd to 2.83 GHz and it ran close to 55 fps with a gtx 275 at 1920x1200 and very high to highest settings, and high 40s with a gtx 260.

the 9950 can easily be had for less than $150 and it runs pretty cool, you wouldn't need to oc it.

if gta is important to you it's worth the investment.