Price Check: i7-930 + 5850

Status
Not open for further replies.

uc2obm

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
Hello, I am considering selling this and upgrading to Sandy Bridge, please help me price check this system:

Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard
Corsair Dominator 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 7-7-7-20 Latecy
Intel i7-930 @ 2.8 Ghz
Corsair HX850 Power Supply
1 TB Western Digital Black Edition 6 Gb/s SATA III 64MB Cache
OCZ Vertex 2 100GB Solid State Drive
XFX Radeon HD 5850
Cooler Master HAF 922 Case
SATA DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe

Thank you,
Dave

I would expect you to only sell the mobo, CPU, & RAM and maybe the 5850 since there's the 6950 now. Also, the upgrade to SB is an improvement, X58 is so good I wouldn't bother until Ivy Bridge and LGA 2011 or you at least see what Bulldozer can do. Nevertheless, I'll price each part:

$200: Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard
This is strange because although it's a premium part, I doubt you'll find many people that would take it over the ASUS P67 Pro for $189.

$45: Corsair Dominator 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 7-7-7-20 Latecy
You forgot to state the speed. I assume it's 1333CL7? Either way, with 8GB going for $75, 6GB is worth about $60 new. Although triple channel is worthless if it's not in an X58 build.

$180: Intel i7-930 @ 2.8 Ghz
The value will increase in enthusiast threads if you say what it overclocks to and what voltage that's at. My i7-930 is a lemon and requires exponential voltage increases to go beyond 3.9GHz. I paid $200 new for it last year, so I'm still happy with my price/performance. i7-950's are $270 new now.

$120: Corsair HX850 Power Supply
Awesome PSU, but nobody likes a used PSU. I wouldn't play any of the prices I'm listing for these parts.

$55: 1 TB Western Digital Black Edition 6 Gb/s SATA III 64MB Cache
HDDs don't really drop in performance or longevity with age. The fact that it hasn't failed in the first couple months actualy improves its reliability over a new drive. I priced it to match the similarly performing (and usually preferred) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB new.

$90: OCZ Vertex 2 100GB Solid State Drive
$180 buys a Vertex 2 120GB new w/ rebate now. That means a 100GB should go for $150, but I don't think they still sell it. SSDs drop in performance/longevity with usage and the buyer has no idea how it's been used. I'd never buy a used SSD. So it's pretty tough to give it a value. I'd buy it off you if you were a "Regular" or higher for $80 w/ supplemental info about it.

$120: XFX Radeon HD 5850
I'm assuming you mean the lifetime warranty version? That's worth $10 in itself. I think they had these on Newegg last week for $145--a deal, true...but I can't say a used one is worth that.

$70: Cooler Master HAF 922 Case
This is really tough because my used case LOOKS used. Does yours? If not, then it's worth up to 90% of it's current $100 price tag.

$20: SATA DVD Burner w/ Lightscribe
These don't really drop in price.

TOTAL: $900

It looks like I valued it at $900 total exactly. That said, I would never recommend anyone buy it for $900. I put together better builds for $726 (8GB DDR3, i5-2500K/P67) last week. But those didn't have SSDs either. Like I said, you should sell the CPU, mobo, RAM, & graphics. Keep the rest because you'll never get what it's worth to you back.

Ebay: You might get a little more for each part that I listed above on ebay. Because people like to overpay for used electronics on ebay.

uc2obm

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011

Thank you! Greatly appreciate your thorough insight! Just a tidbit, my memory speed 1600.

Yeah honestly, now that I am really thinking about it, I will probably end up waiting for Ivy Bridge which is going to be released when, in like 4th quarter 2011? It's somewhat "annoying" that only 9 months ago I payed about ~$1800 and that was with Newegg. Oh well, people are sure right when they say technology really moves fast and doesn't hold its value for long...

Another thing holding me back from selling it is the fact that I modded the case with cathodes, led lights, and led fans. So it looks pretty sweet with it's sound activated cathodes.

Anyway, thanks again!!

You're welcome. And if you do sell parts, keep the case.

I would say that if you can get $400 for your CPU/mobo/RAM, go for it. i5-2500K/MSI mobo (8x/8x) go for $320 (after $10 rebate). That means you can upgrade to an i5-2500K w/ 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 for $395.

I don't know about the Radeon 5850. It's a good card, but it's not what you'll want to be running (even in crossfire) in two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.