computer wont post

darkdrago

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
well have a computer that has been running fine for awhile. then one day I was having problems with windows xp. I didnt feel like messing with it so I turned to computer off (I have had that problem before and knew how to fix it) the next morning when I went to turn it on to fix it it would not post.
I have tried taking all the memory out and actually get a error code for the computer and also get an error code if I take the video card out. otherwise everything comes on however it never actually posts.
I have tried three different power supplies. two different motherboards and three different cpu's. I doubt I somehow managed to crack the core on three different cpu's and I also didnt see any cracks on it so doubt that has happened. I also tried the computer out of the case sitting on a cardboard box. I am running out of ideas of what to try...

I also had tried reseting the bios on both boards I was using.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
if you have a pci graphics card try booting with that 1 stick of ram and 1 hard drive. no floppy no cdroms no sound nics or any other expansion cards. if it works then your graphics card has died. if not try different ram as that may be dodgy. im fairly sure one or the other will fixit. if youre really unlucky it may be ram AND graphics

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Do you run anything overclocked?
What type of motherboard is it?
Are you able to get into your BIOS at all, or does it not even get that far?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=19557" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=19557</A>

darkdrago

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
it does not even get far enough to get into the bios it just sits there. the motherboards that I have used are abit kr7-raid and a gigabyte board that i dont remember off hand but it is a kt333 I believe (at work and dont have the box right now and I had just borrowed it from a friend)
I did have the computer overclocked before however I have switched the cpu out and everything is removed from the computer right now

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by darkdrago on 05/01/03 09:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

darkdrago

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
tried it with nothing but the video card in and ram before... had three sticks of ram in there and had removed two and switched them out and tried them all in different slots and never came up and I doubt all three sticks are bad. but I can try another one from a friend. I will also try the new video card in there when I get home and can take it apart again. one question though if the video card was bad wouldnt you get an error beep when it starts up? I have gotten the beeping for it when I had removed it and tried to start it with no video card...

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
you wouldnt necessarily get the beeping if the graphics card was faulty. try with a pci card if you got one just to check it isnt the agp that has gone down although this isnt too likely as you have changed boards. othere than that and the ram i cant really think of anything else.
1 other thing.. it could be ur hsf thats gone. if the sensor wire is broken then themotherboard assumes no fan is connected and wont boot (i think)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rcj187 on 05/01/03 06:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

darkdrago

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
my hats off to you. I would have never guess that it was the video card.... the ironic part is that I had just rma'ed the video card (last one overheated and so then it would mess up with advanced directx features.... ) and so I didnt think about it being bad... much less that that could stop it from posting ^^;

bob2008

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Hardware is a general term that refers to the physical artifacts of a technology.
======================================================================
Bob
Price list guide showing the cheapest place to buy world of warcraft gold
<a href="http://www.wow-gold-price-list.com">wow gold</a>

bob2008

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Hardware is a general term that refers to the physical artifacts of a technology.
======================================================================
Bob
Price list guide showing the cheapest place to buy world of warcraft gold
wow gold