Hi i just brought a laptop computer it came with xp home.
i want to install xp pro with service pack 1. when i try to i get a message
that say the virsion of windows that you are trying to install is older than
the current version and i cant continue. the xp pro is on a dvd from my msdn
universal subscription and i select the instalation from the default web
page that autoloads. please help me install xp pro
thanks

You can easily make a current version of Windows XP
by slipstreaming SP2 and then burn a new CD, then upgrade.

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

or

AutoStreamer 1.0.33 (preferred)
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

| page that autoloads. please help me install xp pro
| thanks

Are you posting from the machine in question?

Does the new machine have WinXP SP2 installed?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Alvis wrote:
> Hi i just brought a laptop computer it came with xp home.
> i want to install xp pro with service pack 1. when i try to i get a
> message
> that say the virsion of windows that you are trying to install is older
> than
> the current version and i cant continue. the xp pro is on a dvd from my
> msdn
> universal subscription and i select the instalation from the default web
> page that autoloads. please help me install xp pro
> thanks

You need to reformat the drive, set the laptop to reboot
from the cd drive, this WILL erease all data on your
drive but as it is a new laptop this will not be bad as
you will want it all to be as you like it.

Do NOT follow this advice. A laptop is very different from a desktop with
regards to proprietary motherboard drivers, etc.

Apparently the version of Home on the laptop has SP2. That is why your Pro
SP1 is an older version. You can use the laptop to create a slipstreamed
copy of XP Pro SP2. Go to: http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html and
download Autostreamer. It is the easiest way to make a slipsteamed cd. You
will need to be able to burn a cd so if your laptop does not have a burner,
make the slipstreamed cd on another machine running XP that has a burner and
either Roxio or Nero software.

> You need to reformat the drive, set the laptop to reboot
> from the cd drive, this WILL erease all data on your
> drive but as it is a new laptop this will not be bad as
> you will want it all to be as you like it.

Seconded.
--

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Do NOT follow this advice. A laptop is very different from a desktop with
> regards to proprietary motherboard drivers, etc.
>
> Apparently the version of Home on the laptop has SP2. That is why your
> Pro
> SP1 is an older version. You can use the laptop to create a slipstreamed
> copy of XP Pro SP2. Go to: http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html
> and
> download Autostreamer. It is the easiest way to make a slipsteamed cd.
> You
> will need to be able to burn a cd so if your laptop does not have a
> burner,
> make the slipstreamed cd on another machine running XP that has a burner
> and
> either Roxio or Nero software.
>
>> You need to reformat the drive, set the laptop to reboot
>> from the cd drive, this WILL erease all data on your
>> drive but as it is a new laptop this will not be bad as
>> you will want it all to be as you like it.

The SP2 download for slipstreaming is at:

> Do NOT follow this advice. A laptop is very different from a desktop with
> regards to proprietary motherboard drivers, etc.
>
> Apparently the version of Home on the laptop has SP2. That is why your
> Pro SP1 is an older version. You can use the laptop to create a
> slipstreamed copy of XP Pro SP2. Go to:
> http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html and download Autostreamer.
> It is the easiest way to make a slipsteamed cd. You will need to be able
> to burn a cd so if your laptop does not have a burner, make the
> slipstreamed cd on another machine running XP that has a burner and either
> Roxio or Nero software.

> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> You need to reformat the drive, set the laptop to reboot
>> from the cd drive, this WILL erease all data on your
>> drive but as it is a new laptop this will not be bad as
>> you will want it all to be as you like it.

TRENDING THREADS