I have a T30 Thinkpad with a Linksys 2.4 ghz aircard that I use very
successfully to log automatically onto all sorts of wireless networks
around the country, including TMobile and even roaming on AT&T Cingular.

Our office just set up a wireless network and all are using Macs save
me. Whereas I can find the network, I cannot log onto it, because I
never get the chance to enter the password.

What steps do I need to take in this instance to get onto this network?

You will need a wlan card to connect to a wireless lan connection (like that
of the ones provided by a linksys wireless router). An aircard is used to
connect to the internet via cell phone signal, not wireless lan.

An example of the type of card you have is here:
http://www.sierrawireless.com/ProductsOrdering/AC775.asp

An example of what you need is here:
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=642

-Adam.D

"Steve Marshall" wrote:

> I have a T30 Thinkpad with a Linksys 2.4 ghz aircard that I use very
> successfully to log automatically onto all sorts of wireless networks
> around the country, including TMobile and even roaming on AT&T Cingular.
>
> Our office just set up a wireless network and all are using Macs save
> me. Whereas I can find the network, I cannot log onto it, because I
> never get the chance to enter the password.
>
> What steps do I need to take in this instance to get onto this network?

Adam,

Thanks for your reply - what you say I need is what I have - exactly the
same card shown on the page you directed me to.

Now what?

Steve

-Adam.D wrote:
> You will need a wlan card to connect to a wireless lan connection (like that
> of the ones provided by a linksys wireless router). An aircard is used to
> connect to the internet via cell phone signal, not wireless lan.
>
> An example of the type of card you have is here:
> http://www.sierrawireless.com/ProductsOrdering/AC775.asp
>
> An example of what you need is here:
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=642
>
> -Adam.D
>
> "Steve Marshall" wrote:
>

>>I have a T30 Thinkpad with a Linksys 2.4 ghz aircard that I use very
>>successfully to log automatically onto all sorts of wireless networks
>>around the country, including TMobile and even roaming on AT&T Cingular.
>>
>>Our office just set up a wireless network and all are using Macs save
>>me. Whereas I can find the network, I cannot log onto it, because I
>>never get the chance to enter the password.
>>
>>What steps do I need to take in this instance to get onto this network?

Have you asked the system administrator where you work?

"Steve Marshall" <marshall22@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>I have a T30 Thinkpad with a Linksys 2.4 ghz aircard that I use very
>successfully to log automatically onto all sorts of wireless networks
>around the country, including TMobile and even roaming on AT&T Cingular.
>
> Our office just set up a wireless network and all are using Macs save me.
> Whereas I can find the network, I cannot log onto it, because I never get
> the chance to enter the password.
>
> What steps do I need to take in this instance to get onto this network?

That is the essential question; yes, I have, but this is a small office
and the owner's son set it up and is a Mac user only.

Steve

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Have you asked the system administrator where you work?

The two times I have called Linksys support I have gotten the help I needed
to get going again. I would think you could do that from the location at
the office. You will need the IP of the router so you can read the settings
from your computer in order to ping, etc. XP should be able to detect the
channel but I have not worked with your card.

> That is the essential question; yes, I have, but this is a small office
> and the owner's son set it up and is a Mac user only.
>
> Steve
>
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> Have you asked the system administrator where you work?

Great idea; they helped me with the set up of my home wireless network!

Thanks.

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> The two times I have called Linksys support I have gotten the help I needed
> to get going again. I would think you could do that from the location at
> the office. You will need the IP of the router so you can read the settings
> from your computer in order to ping, etc. XP should be able to detect the
> channel but I have not worked with your card.

You're welcome.