Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HP Netserver LX Pro HDD problems

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 21, 2004 10:35:14 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Hi, folks!

I'm unable to get any (or just this) HDD to work in any of the 12
plug-in-slots. The disk I've tried is a Seagate Barracuda ST39236LC (to
be exactly: two of them). The disk powers up and when a bus reset
occurs, the LED of the HDD flashes up, but it is neither detected by the
onboard Controller (7880 IIRC) nor by the NetRAID controller. Strangely,
the power and activity indicator LEDs of the plug-in-slot do never light
up...

Any other disk directly connected to the bus (not in this plug-in-cage -
what's this system called?) did work.

I don't thikt that I've some ID mismatch because I first did not set any
ID on the HDD as it was originally intended and I then set the ID on
the disk to just the same the slot should have...
I also don't think that the bus is terminated incorrectly because this
plug-in-stuff configures termination itself (that's claimed by the manual).

Any hints?

Thanks in advance,

Robert
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 21, 2004 11:40:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

How about a mismatch between low voltage differential (LVD) and single-ended
SCSI signalling? The computer is an LX Pro. The one with Pentium Pro CPUs?
I'm almost 100% certain (maybe only 99.999%) that the Pentium Pro class
computers pre-dated the availability of LVD drives and does not support them.

However, many LVD drives can be jumpered to operate as single-ended. Check the
specs and jumpers on the drive at www.seagate.com ... Ben Myers

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:35:14 +0200, Robert Rudolf <robert.rudolf@gmx.at> wrote:

>Hi, folks!
>
>I'm unable to get any (or just this) HDD to work in any of the 12
>plug-in-slots. The disk I've tried is a Seagate Barracuda ST39236LC (to
>be exactly: two of them). The disk powers up and when a bus reset
>occurs, the LED of the HDD flashes up, but it is neither detected by the
>onboard Controller (7880 IIRC) nor by the NetRAID controller. Strangely,
>the power and activity indicator LEDs of the plug-in-slot do never light
>up...
>
>Any other disk directly connected to the bus (not in this plug-in-cage -
>what's this system called?) did work.
>
>I don't thikt that I've some ID mismatch because I first did not set any
> ID on the HDD as it was originally intended and I then set the ID on
>the disk to just the same the slot should have...
>I also don't think that the bus is terminated incorrectly because this
>plug-in-stuff configures termination itself (that's claimed by the manual).
>
>Any hints?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Robert
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 22, 2004 2:05:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Hi!

Ben Myers wrote:
> How about a mismatch between low voltage differential (LVD) and single-ended
> SCSI signalling? The computer is an LX Pro. The one with Pentium Pro CPUs?
> I'm almost 100% certain (maybe only 99.999%) that the Pentium Pro class
> computers pre-dated the availability of LVD drives and does not support them.

Yes, it's a dual-PPro... not really much for a today's server but enough
to play around a little bit.

> However, many LVD drives can be jumpered to operate as single-ended. Check the
> specs and jumpers on the drive at www.seagate.com ... Ben Myers

Ben, THAT'S IT! I jumpered the drive as 'force single ended' and
connected this plug-in-cage it to the onboard 7880 controller (as Kim
suggested that the RAID controlles just likes HP drives) and guess
what... IT WORKS!
THANKS A LOT to you and Kim!

-Robert (who now has the loudest and largest 'PC' in class)
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 22, 2004 5:54:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Yes, LX Pro has 1 ~ 4 CPUs. It doesn't support LVD drives.
And if your NetRAID card is HP DA (NetRAID 0, it detects HP drive only.

Kim

Ben Myers wrote:

> How about a mismatch between low voltage differential (LVD) and single-ended
> SCSI signalling? The computer is an LX Pro. The one with Pentium Pro CPUs?
> I'm almost 100% certain (maybe only 99.999%) that the Pentium Pro class
> computers pre-dated the availability of LVD drives and does not support them.
>
> However, many LVD drives can be jumpered to operate as single-ended. Check the
> specs and jumpers on the drive at www.seagate.com ... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:35:14 +0200, Robert Rudolf <robert.rudolf@gmx.at> wrote:
>
>
>>Hi, folks!
>>
>>I'm unable to get any (or just this) HDD to work in any of the 12
>>plug-in-slots. The disk I've tried is a Seagate Barracuda ST39236LC (to
>>be exactly: two of them). The disk powers up and when a bus reset
>>occurs, the LED of the HDD flashes up, but it is neither detected by the
>>onboard Controller (7880 IIRC) nor by the NetRAID controller. Strangely,
>>the power and activity indicator LEDs of the plug-in-slot do never light
>>up...
>>
>>Any other disk directly connected to the bus (not in this plug-in-cage -
>>what's this system called?) did work.
>>
>>I don't thikt that I've some ID mismatch because I first did not set any
>> ID on the HDD as it was originally intended and I then set the ID on
>>the disk to just the same the slot should have...
>>I also don't think that the bus is terminated incorrectly because this
>>plug-in-stuff configures termination itself (that's claimed by the manual).
>>
>>Any hints?
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>
>>Robert
>
>
!