Problem with Linksys WPS11 set up.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
September 4, 2004 12:17:25 AM

I have a Netgear wireless router and have just bought a Linksys WPS11
wireless print server for connecting to my HP Laserjet 4 printer.

My problem is that I am unable to get the wireless settings to 'stick'
The WPS11 comes with a sofware set up program called Bi-Admin.

The sequence of events is as follows.

1. Hardwire WPS11 to Netgear router with ethernet cable, and connect
to printer with standard parallel printer cable.
2. Power up WPS11 setting it to the default factory settings.
3. Run Bi-Admin program which succesfully detects the WPS11 - as
indeed does the Netgear router admin software.
4. At this stage I can ping the WPS11 and print a test print from
Bi-Admin
5. With Bi-admin, configure the WPS11 with the fixed IP address
indicated by the test print - (and also the Netgear admin attached
device list). Save this setting to the WPS11
6. Confirm step 4 still works.
7. Recycle the power on the WPS11 and confirm step 4 again.
8 With Bi-admin, change the SSID from the default setting to the SSID
name of the Netgear router. Save this to the WPS11

It's at this stage that everything goes wrong. I can still ping the
WPS11, but as soon as I try a test print from Bi-Admin, Bi-Admin
'loses' its connection to the WPS11. This happens both with the
hardwire still in place, and also when I've powercycled the WPS11 and
removed the hardwire.

There does not appear to be any physical fault with the WPS11 and all
the LEDs light up when they should. The wireless WAN led light also
blinks suggesting that it's polling for a wireless signal.

I've spent the last four Friday afternoons trying to get this to work
and even had it replaced by Linksys, all to no avail.

Has anyone had any experience with setting this thing up and can offer
advice.

Rgds,

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 5, 2004 1:44:30 PM

"Richard Buttrey" <chaos.theory.nospam.removethis@zen.co.uk> wrote in
message news:p gfhj0l1f84q36340gm2l4gmukjibpbvbh@4ax.com...
>I have a Netgear wireless router and have just bought a Linksys WPS11
> wireless print server for connecting to my HP Laserjet 4 printer.
>
> My problem is that I am unable to get the wireless settings to 'stick'
> The WPS11 comes with a sofware set up program called Bi-Admin.
>
> The sequence of events is as follows.
>
> 1. Hardwire WPS11 to Netgear router with ethernet cable, and connect
> to printer with standard parallel printer cable.
> 2. Power up WPS11 setting it to the default factory settings.
> 3. Run Bi-Admin program which succesfully detects the WPS11 - as
> indeed does the Netgear router admin software.
> 4. At this stage I can ping the WPS11 and print a test print from
> Bi-Admin
> 5. With Bi-admin, configure the WPS11 with the fixed IP address
> indicated by the test print - (and also the Netgear admin attached
> device list). Save this setting to the WPS11
> 6. Confirm step 4 still works.
> 7. Recycle the power on the WPS11 and confirm step 4 again.
> 8 With Bi-admin, change the SSID from the default setting to the SSID
> name of the Netgear router. Save this to the WPS11
>
> It's at this stage that everything goes wrong. I can still ping the
> WPS11, but as soon as I try a test print from Bi-Admin, Bi-Admin
> 'loses' its connection to the WPS11. This happens both with the
> hardwire still in place, and also when I've powercycled the WPS11 and
> removed the hardwire.
>
> There does not appear to be any physical fault with the WPS11 and all
> the LEDs light up when they should. The wireless WAN led light also
> blinks suggesting that it's polling for a wireless signal.
>
> I've spent the last four Friday afternoons trying to get this to work
> and even had it replaced by Linksys, all to no avail.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with setting this thing up and can offer
> advice.
>
> Rgds,
>

> __
> Richard Buttrey
> Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
> __________________________

I would first confirm that the router will accept a static IP address
from its reserved block of DHCP addresses. You should be able to set
the IP address to one of your choosing outside the reserved DHCP range.
That is, if the router has a reserved DHCP range. Second, broadcast the
SSID. If this server is designed anything like other Linksys specialty
wireless adapters, the server will have difficulty if the SSID is not
broadcast. You might also, when the setup is complete and the ethernet
is disconnected, power cycle both the router and server and see if they
can then negotiate. Lastly, restart Bi-Admin and let it find the
wireless server in a new session.

a b F Wireless
September 6, 2004 9:41:00 PM

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:44:30 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
wrote:

>"Richard Buttrey" <chaos.theory.nospam.removethis@zen.co.uk> wrote in
>message news:p gfhj0l1f84q36340gm2l4gmukjibpbvbh@4ax.com...
>>I have a Netgear wireless router and have just bought a Linksys WPS11
>> wireless print server for connecting to my HP Laserjet 4 printer.
>>
>> My problem is that I am unable to get the wireless settings to 'stick'
>> The WPS11 comes with a sofware set up program called Bi-Admin.
>>
>> The sequence of events is as follows.
>>
>> 1. Hardwire WPS11 to Netgear router with ethernet cable, and connect
>> to printer with standard parallel printer cable.
>> 2. Power up WPS11 setting it to the default factory settings.
>> 3. Run Bi-Admin program which succesfully detects the WPS11 - as
>> indeed does the Netgear router admin software.
>> 4. At this stage I can ping the WPS11 and print a test print from
>> Bi-Admin
>> 5. With Bi-admin, configure the WPS11 with the fixed IP address
>> indicated by the test print - (and also the Netgear admin attached
>> device list). Save this setting to the WPS11
>> 6. Confirm step 4 still works.
>> 7. Recycle the power on the WPS11 and confirm step 4 again.
>> 8 With Bi-admin, change the SSID from the default setting to the SSID
>> name of the Netgear router. Save this to the WPS11
>>
>> It's at this stage that everything goes wrong. I can still ping the
>> WPS11, but as soon as I try a test print from Bi-Admin, Bi-Admin
>> 'loses' its connection to the WPS11. This happens both with the
>> hardwire still in place, and also when I've powercycled the WPS11 and
>> removed the hardwire.
>>
>> There does not appear to be any physical fault with the WPS11 and all
>> the LEDs light up when they should. The wireless WAN led light also
>> blinks suggesting that it's polling for a wireless signal.
>>
>> I've spent the last four Friday afternoons trying to get this to work
>> and even had it replaced by Linksys, all to no avail.
>>
>> Has anyone had any experience with setting this thing up and can offer
>> advice.
>>
>> Rgds,
>>

>> __
>> Richard Buttrey
>> Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
>> __________________________
>

>I would first confirm that the router will accept a static IP address
>from its reserved block of DHCP addresses. You should be able to set
>the IP address to one of your choosing outside the reserved DHCP range.
>That is, if the router has a reserved DHCP range. Second, broadcast the
>SSID. If this server is designed anything like other Linksys specialty
>wireless adapters, the server will have difficulty if the SSID is not
>broadcast. You might also, when the setup is complete and the ethernet
>is disconnected, power cycle both the router and server and see if they
>can then negotiate. Lastly, restart Bi-Admin and let it find the
>wireless server in a new session.

Many thanks for these suggestions.
Just a small point, what exactly do you mean by 'broadcast the SSID'?

Something else to try this coming Friday afternoon.
I'll let you know

Rgds
__
Richard Buttrey