Whenever I first turn on my computer I get a warning from windows that a
duplicate name exists in the network. I checked in the user accounts and I"m
the only on there. I don't really know what this means or how to stop it. Any
insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Angeline

If it is an infrastructure network (like a home network and not a domain),
the there is another computer with the same name.

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:41:37 -0800, angel27 wrote:

> Whenever I first turn on my computer I get a warning from windows that a
> duplicate name exists in the network. I checked in the user accounts and I"m
> the only on there. I don't really know what this means or how to stop it. Any
> insight would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Angeline

Is the message stating a duplicate user name? Usually this message appears
when there's a duplicate name for two or more computers on the same
network. To change the computer name, use System Properties> Computer Name.
Click the Change button and change computer name only. Restart the
computer.

NOTE: Consult network administrator before renaming the computer as this
change may cause access to network shares to be lost. The loss is only
temporary as the shares can be rebuilt.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User