user accounts

Whenever I first turn on my computer I get a warning from windows that a
duplicate name exists in the network. I checked in the user accounts and I"m
the only on there. I don't really know what this means or how to stop it. Any
insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Angeline
2 answers Last reply
More about user accounts

    If it is an infrastructure network (like a home network and not a domain),
    the there is another computer with the same name.

    On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:41:37 -0800, angel27 wrote:

    > Whenever I first turn on my computer I get a warning from windows that a
    > duplicate name exists in the network. I checked in the user accounts and I"m
    > the only on there. I don't really know what this means or how to stop it. Any
    > insight would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Angeline

    Is the message stating a duplicate user name? Usually this message appears
    when there's a duplicate name for two or more computers on the same
    network. To change the computer name, use System Properties> Computer Name.
    Click the Change button and change computer name only. Restart the
    computer.

    NOTE: Consult network administrator before renaming the computer as this
    change may cause access to network shares to be lost. The loss is only
    temporary as the shares can be rebuilt.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User