Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
March 1, 2005 11:15:22 PM

I can't log on as Administrator! When I boot up in Safe Mode I get the usual
screen inviting me to log in as either User or Administrator but I am
requested to enter the Administrator password. Needless to say I have never
set up a password for the Administrator account.

Hitting Enter does not work. I do not have any Restore points set. What can
I do?

John

More about : administrator password

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 11:15:23 PM

John;
Go to Safe Mode and log into another user with Administrator access.
Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
Select Administrator.
Then select the option to change the password.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>I can't log on as Administrator! When I boot up in Safe Mode I get the
>usual screen inviting me to log in as either User or Administrator but I am
>requested to enter the Administrator password. Needless to say I have never
>set up a password for the Administrator account.
>
> Hitting Enter does not work. I do not have any Restore points set. What
> can I do?
>
> John

March 1, 2005 11:15:24 PM

Since he said he is an Admin, isn't that a bit difficult way to go about it,
when he can simply make changes using Control Userpasswords2?

> John;
> Go to Safe Mode and log into another user with Administrator access.
> Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
> Select Administrator.
> Then select the option to change the password.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>I can't log on as Administrator! When I boot up in Safe Mode I get the
>>usual screen inviting me to log in as either User or Administrator but I
>>am requested to enter the Administrator password. Needless to say I have
>>never set up a password for the Administrator account.
>>
>> Hitting Enter does not work. I do not have any Restore points set. What
>> can I do?
>>
>> John

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 12:27:13 AM

Didn't work (I knew it wouldn't). 'Administrator' is not one of the accounts
visible when I go into 'User Accounts'. I am only offered my own User
account (which does have Administrator access) and Guest.

Any other ideas?

> John;
> Go to Safe Mode and log into another user with Administrator access.
> Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
> Select Administrator.
> Then select the option to change the password.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>I can't log on as Administrator! When I boot up in Safe Mode I get the
>>usual screen inviting me to log in as either User or Administrator but I
>>am requested to enter the Administrator password. Needless to say I have
>>never set up a password for the Administrator account.
>>
>> Hitting Enter does not work. I do not have any Restore points set. What
>> can I do?
>>
>> John

March 2, 2005 12:27:14 AM

Click start/run, then type (no quotes) "control userpasswords2", and hit
enter. You'll get a User Account applet to popup. Slect 9as to highlight)
the Administrator account in the list, and then click on the reset password,
and type a password (write down), and then try. I know you can get this
applet in both Home or Pro, but I am unsure whther the admin account will
list their, and if it can be configured a bit, since it has been more than
three years since I have used Home.

I give this advice based on that you said you are also an Administrator.

> Didn't work (I knew it wouldn't). 'Administrator' is not one of the
> accounts visible when I go into 'User Accounts'. I am only offered my own
> User account (which does have Administrator access) and Guest.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
>> John;
>> Go to Safe Mode and log into another user with Administrator access.
>> Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
>> Select Administrator.
>> Then select the option to change the password.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>

>> "John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>>I can't log on as Administrator! When I boot up in Safe Mode I get the
>>>usual screen inviting me to log in as either User or Administrator but I
>>>am requested to enter the Administrator password. Needless to say I have
>>>never set up a password for the Administrator account.
>>>
>>> Hitting Enter does not work. I do not have any Restore points set. What
>>> can I do?
>>>
>>> John

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:04:58 AM

What do you know? It worked! Where on earth did you get that tip? I Googled
like crazy and didn't find that one.

Everything working fine now. The only doubt in my mind is - if Windows can
do this to me once, it can do it to me again .... fingers crossed.
:-)

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
> Click start/run, then type (no quotes) "control userpasswords2", and hit
> enter. You'll get a User Account applet to popup. Slect 9as to highlight)
> the Administrator account in the list, and then click on the reset
> password, and type a password (write down), and then try. I know you can
> get this applet in both Home or Pro, but I am unsure whther the admin
> account will list their, and if it can be configured a bit, since it has
> been more than three years since I have used Home.
>
> I give this advice based on that you said you are also an Administrator.

March 2, 2005 1:04:59 AM

It is actually a carry over from Win2K that simply isn't listed as an actual
usable function, but it resides in the Accounts since XP is basically and
newer version of 2000.

You never stated what Version of XP (Home or Pro). I know this can be done
in Pro, but I cannot remember if in Home, since it was so long ago for me
since I used it. Post back if you used Home, so I reference that.

> What do you know? It worked! Where on earth did you get that tip? I
> Googled like crazy and didn't find that one.
>
> Everything working fine now. The only doubt in my mind is - if Windows can
> do this to me once, it can do it to me again .... fingers crossed.
> :-)
>
> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>> Click start/run, then type (no quotes) "control userpasswords2", and hit
>> enter. You'll get a User Account applet to popup. Slect 9as to highlight)
>> the Administrator account in the list, and then click on the reset
>> password, and type a password (write down), and then try. I know you can
>> get this applet in both Home or Pro, but I am unsure whther the admin
>> account will list their, and if it can be configured a bit, since it has
>> been more than three years since I have used Home.
>>
>> I give this advice based on that you said you are also an Administrator.

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 10:58:17 AM

> You never stated what Version of XP (Home or Pro). I know this can be done
> in Pro, but I cannot remember if in Home, since it was so long ago for me
> since I used it. Post back if you used Home, so I reference that.

Nope. It's Pro.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 9:21:03 PM

Hi, Tom;
I use XP Home. "control userpasswords2" gives me access to reset the
Administrator password also.
Regards,
Ian.