Administrator password

I can't log on as Administrator! When I boot up in Safe Mode I get the usual
screen inviting me to log in as either User or Administrator but I am
requested to enter the Administrator password. Needless to say I have never
set up a password for the Administrator account.

Hitting Enter does not work. I do not have any Restore points set. What can
I do?

John
8 answers Last reply
More about administrator password

    John;
    Go to Safe Mode and log into another user with Administrator access.
    Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
    Select Administrator.
    Then select the option to change the password.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >I can't log on as Administrator! When I boot up in Safe Mode I get the
    >usual screen inviting me to log in as either User or Administrator but I am
    >requested to enter the Administrator password. Needless to say I have never
    >set up a password for the Administrator account.
    >
    > Hitting Enter does not work. I do not have any Restore points set. What
    > can I do?
    >
    > John

    Since he said he is an Admin, isn't that a bit difficult way to go about it,
    when he can simply make changes using Control Userpasswords2?

    > John;
    > Go to Safe Mode and log into another user with Administrator access.
    > Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
    > Select Administrator.
    > Then select the option to change the password.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >>I can't log on as Administrator! When I boot up in Safe Mode I get the
    >>usual screen inviting me to log in as either User or Administrator but I
    >>am requested to enter the Administrator password. Needless to say I have
    >>never set up a password for the Administrator account.
    >>
    >> Hitting Enter does not work. I do not have any Restore points set. What
    >> can I do?
    >>
    >> John

    Didn't work (I knew it wouldn't). 'Administrator' is not one of the accounts
    visible when I go into 'User Accounts'. I am only offered my own User
    account (which does have Administrator access) and Guest.

    Any other ideas?

    > John;
    > Go to Safe Mode and log into another user with Administrator access.
    > Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
    > Select Administrator.
    > Then select the option to change the password.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >>I can't log on as Administrator! When I boot up in Safe Mode I get the
    >>usual screen inviting me to log in as either User or Administrator but I
    >>am requested to enter the Administrator password. Needless to say I have
    >>never set up a password for the Administrator account.
    >>
    >> Hitting Enter does not work. I do not have any Restore points set. What
    >> can I do?
    >>
    >> John

    Click start/run, then type (no quotes) "control userpasswords2", and hit
    enter. You'll get a User Account applet to popup. Slect 9as to highlight)
    the Administrator account in the list, and then click on the reset password,
    and type a password (write down), and then try. I know you can get this
    applet in both Home or Pro, but I am unsure whther the admin account will
    list their, and if it can be configured a bit, since it has been more than
    three years since I have used Home.

    I give this advice based on that you said you are also an Administrator.

    > Didn't work (I knew it wouldn't). 'Administrator' is not one of the
    > accounts visible when I go into 'User Accounts'. I am only offered my own
    > User account (which does have Administrator access) and Guest.
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> John;
    >> Go to Safe Mode and log into another user with Administrator access.
    >> Then go to User Accounts in Control Panel.
    >> Select Administrator.
    >> Then select the option to change the password.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>

    >> "John Rampling" <John@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    >>>I can't log on as Administrator! When I boot up in Safe Mode I get the
    >>>usual screen inviting me to log in as either User or Administrator but I
    >>>am requested to enter the Administrator password. Needless to say I have
    >>>never set up a password for the Administrator account.
    >>>
    >>> Hitting Enter does not work. I do not have any Restore points set. What
    >>> can I do?
    >>>
    >>> John

    What do you know? It worked! Where on earth did you get that tip? I Googled
    like crazy and didn't find that one.

    Everything working fine now. The only doubt in my mind is - if Windows can
    do this to me once, it can do it to me again .... fingers crossed.
    :-)

    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > Click start/run, then type (no quotes) "control userpasswords2", and hit
    > enter. You'll get a User Account applet to popup. Slect 9as to highlight)
    > the Administrator account in the list, and then click on the reset
    > password, and type a password (write down), and then try. I know you can
    > get this applet in both Home or Pro, but I am unsure whther the admin
    > account will list their, and if it can be configured a bit, since it has
    > been more than three years since I have used Home.
    >
    > I give this advice based on that you said you are also an Administrator.

    It is actually a carry over from Win2K that simply isn't listed as an actual
    usable function, but it resides in the Accounts since XP is basically and
    newer version of 2000.

    You never stated what Version of XP (Home or Pro). I know this can be done
    in Pro, but I cannot remember if in Home, since it was so long ago for me
    since I used it. Post back if you used Home, so I reference that.

    > You never stated what Version of XP (Home or Pro). I know this can be done
    > in Pro, but I cannot remember if in Home, since it was so long ago for me
    > since I used it. Post back if you used Home, so I reference that.

    Nope. It's Pro.

    Hi, Tom;
    I use XP Home. "control userpasswords2" gives me access to reset the
    Administrator password also.
    Regards,
    Ian.

    "Tom" wrote:

    > It is actually a carry over from Win2K that simply isn't listed as an actual
    > usable function, but it resides in the Accounts since XP is basically and
    > newer version of 2000.
    >
    > You never stated what Version of XP (Home or Pro). I know this can be done
    > in Pro, but I cannot remember if in Home, since it was so long ago for me
    > since I used it. Post back if you used Home, so I reference that.

Microsoft Windows XP