  • Internet Explorer
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
March 1, 2005 6:25:40 PM

Is there a way to install programs locally so that all users have the same
access to the installed program? Example - computer is setup with
administrative account and programs are installed. New accounts are setup as
part of the "Users" group. When the new user logs in it seems (many times)
that changes need to be made to allow appropriate acess rights to the newly
created program directories in order for the "Users" group to run the
programs properly. ie - Write access rights ect..

Is there a way to set the rights during the installation of programs instead
of after?

Many thanks for any input.

More about : program rights

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 8:22:33 PM

Hi Mary,

This may help explain it.
Installing and running software in Windows XP
http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Mary M wrote:
> Is there a way to install programs locally so that all
> users have the same access to the installed program?
> Example - computer is setup with administrative account
> and programs are installed. New accounts are setup as
> part of the "Users" group. When the new user logs in it
> seems (many times) that changes need to be made to allow
> appropriate acess rights to the newly created program
> directories in order for the "Users" group to run the
> programs properly. ie - Write access rights ect..
>
> Is there a way to set the rights during the installation
> of programs instead of after?
>
> Many thanks for any input.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 8:30:17 PM

May I just say that I had the same question as the OP, and found the link to
Rick Rogers' web site very helpful. Thanks for posting it.

Modem Ani

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Mary,
>
> This may help explain it.
> Installing and running software in Windows XP
> http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> Mary M wrote:
> > Is there a way to install programs locally so that all
> > users have the same access to the installed program?
> > Example - computer is setup with administrative account
> > and programs are installed. New accounts are setup as
> > part of the "Users" group. When the new user logs in it
> > seems (many times) that changes need to be made to allow
> > appropriate acess rights to the newly created program
> > directories in order for the "Users" group to run the
> > programs properly. ie - Write access rights ect..
> >
> > Is there a way to set the rights during the installation
> > of programs instead of after?
> >
> > Many thanks for any input.

March 1, 2005 8:49:23 PM

Glad it helped.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Modem Ani" <notquinoas@notmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
> May I just say that I had the same question as the OP, and found the link
> Rick Rogers' web site very helpful. Thanks for posting it.
>
> Modem Ani
>
> "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Mary,
>>
>> This may help explain it.
>> Installing and running software in Windows XP
>> http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> Mary M wrote:
>> > Is there a way to install programs locally so that all
>> > users have the same access to the installed program?
>> > Example - computer is setup with administrative account
>> > and programs are installed. New accounts are setup as
>> > part of the "Users" group. When the new user logs in it
>> > seems (many times) that changes need to be made to allow
>> > appropriate acess rights to the newly created program
>> > directories in order for the "Users" group to run the
>> > programs properly. ie - Write access rights ect..
>> >
>> > Is there a way to set the rights during the installation
>> > of programs instead of after?
>> >
>> > Many thanks for any input.

March 2, 2005 2:29:37 PM

There are more things involved here then just Write access permissions to
the program directories, because that one would be the least of the
problems. That is merely assigning file system permissions to that specific
folder for the Users group.
Having said that, it should not be neccessary to have write access to that
folder, unless the program itself needs/wants to write to it, or at some
point in the past the default file system permissions have been altered (ie.
have been set tighter than needed).

The greater problem is the fact that programs (by programmers design) will
install for 'All Users' or for a specific user (ie the one installing it).
This will result in settings that go to entirely different locations in the
registry.
(As you may know, each user has his/her own part of the registry to keep
user specific settings in.)

When a program is *not* installed for 'All users' (again, by design), then
you will need to install the program a second time using that specific
userid and preferably into the same disc-location(s), so as to create the
user specific registry settings in their proper place.
It will often be needed to grant that userid administrative rights (by way
of membership in the Administrators group for the duration of the install)
in order to be able to perform the install.
That way the correct registry entries will get placed in the correct
locations and things like shortcuts etc. will be correctly created.

The possibility of setting rights during an installation will be something
entirely up to and dependent on the install program.
The OS does not (natively) provide functionality to do this.

hth

george

!