how to uninstall a software program...

I have a laptop that was handed down to me by my father. He used it at his
last job prior to retirement, and the company he worked for loaded Microsoft
office 97
professional on it.

I purchased Microsoft office 2003, and also loaded it on the laptop. I
would like to remove the office 97 version, but when I attempt to do so in
"add/remove programs", I am prompted to "please insert your Microsoft Office
97 Professional CD 1". Of course, I don't HAVE that cd, as the computer
already had the program loaded on my computer.

Does anyone have a way to remove this program? It uses 653 mb of space, and
I really need to free that up.

Thank you for any suggestions!

Lisa

Harold

Lisa: Microsoft has us well covered.... if you go into 97/2000 support they
have a remove program that works great.....

Harold (oldman)

Yes, it is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254250/EN-US/

"Harold" <Harold@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Lisa: Microsoft has us well covered.... if you go into 97/2000 support
> they
> have a remove program that works great.....
>
> Harold (oldman)
>
> "lisa_groups" wrote:
>
>> I have a laptop that was handed down to me by my father. He used it at
>> his
>> last job prior to retirement, and the company he worked for loaded
>> Microsoft
>> office 97
>> professional on it.
>>
>> I purchased Microsoft office 2003, and also loaded it on the laptop. I
>> would like to remove the office 97 version, but when I attempt to do so
>> in
>> "add/remove programs", I am prompted to "please insert your Microsoft
>> Office
>> 97 Professional CD 1". Of course, I don't HAVE that cd, as the computer
>> already had the program loaded on my computer.
>>
>> Does anyone have a way to remove this program? It uses 653 mb of space,
>> and
>> I really need to free that up.
>>
>> Thank you for any suggestions!
>>
>> Lisa

Since you have an OEM version of Windows, Microsoft will not give you phone
or mail support with this issue. I think you are the proud owner of Office
97 for a very long time. :)

"lisa_groups" <lisa_groups@verizon.net> wrote in message
When I go to that link and click to the part where it tells me how to remove
the program, one of the steps is:

If you are using Windows 2000 or Windows Me, double-click Add/Remove
Programs. If you are using Windows XP, click Add or Remove Programs. In the
list of installed programs, click Microsoft Office 97, and then click
Change/Remove. If you installed Microsoft Office from a CD, you are prompted
to insert the first CD.

The problem is, I don't have the cd. It was installed via cd for the
previous owner (my dad). The company he worked for installed it, but he
doesn't work there any more, and the company doesn't exist any longer.

Thanks for the suggestion, though...

Lisa