computer shuts down after boot

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
When I turn on my computer it stays on for a little while and then just shuts down (the up time is random). also, when i exit the bios the computer shuts down instead of restarting (randomly). I got to the desktop a few times but shortly after it just would shut down. It doesn't just click off, the screen goes black and about 5 seconds later it turns off. I just got a brand new motherboard so I probably didn't set something right somewhere. If you have any ideas plz let me know.

system:
Asus A7V266-C
Athlon XP 1700+
512mb PC2100
40gb ibm hd
liton dvd
liton cd-rw
gainward geforce4 ti4200
sb live! 5.1
generic 10/100
420watt antec
cpu cooler: Coolmaster HHC-001 Heatpipe
fans: 2 80mm front, 2 80mm top, 1 92mm back, 1 (fan taken from refrigerator ~120mm) door

what should the settings be for that cpu in the bios? I am thinking it has something to do with that. vcore, fsb, etc.

thanks,
Folken

I would start by clearing the bios, using the cmos jumper. Just move it over one position for a few seconds, and return to normal running position. Also be sure your cpu fan is connected to the cpu fan plug. Some boards will shut down to protect the cpu from overheating if you're using the wrong one. Is your cpu heatsink installed correctly? A few unlucky people have put them on backwards, or not removed the film covering the thermal pad.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I haven't done anything with the bios and it came with factory defaults. The cpu fan is definatly plugged in, it is a 7100 rpm fan so it is slightly audible. the fan/hs is definatly working because the cpu temp in the bos reads 32 degrees C. I had that thought also but would it also shut down when exiting cmos?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I figured out the problem. I should hit myself for it. The cpu cooler was put on backwards so only half of the heatsink was touching the cpu core. I am sooooo glad the motherboard caught that and shut the computer down. That is much better than a trickle of smoke ;)