How to get a data call to go through?!

Okay, I bought a mobile office kit for my trusty old Audiovox CDM-9000. I
plug it into my laptop. I try dialing #700 using qnc / qnc as the
login/password in dial-up networking, and nada. It says there is no answer
and the phone lcd displays '5 sec' flashing (indicating that the last call
was 5 seconds long.) I also tried doing the same thing except using my ISP's
modem number and it's login & password... Same problem. It doesn't even have
time to really attempt a connection, but it appears to be talking to the
phone okay.

What gives?

-Jeff

Gator

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

Have you tried #777. And, did you
set everything up using the software?
Although one can dial up the local
ISP, at the same time, it is better to
convert it to "wireless" before trying,
my opinion. When I run into problems
I uninstall everything, i.e., phone under
"modems" and rerun the wizard. Good Luck!!!

Gator

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

I would check Systems/Device Manager/COM Ports/USB to Serial and verify that
the port is the same as the port found under Modems showing your phone. And,
then rerun the software including the wizarde. Then Quick Connect.

"Gator" <gator2@webmail.co.za> wrote in message
> Have you tried #777. And, did you
> set everything up using the software?
> Although one can dial up the local
> ISP, at the same time, it is better to
> convert it to "wireless" before trying,
> my opinion. When I run into problems
> I uninstall everything, i.e., phone under
> "modems" and rerun the wizard. Good Luck!!!

Yes, I tried it both ways. It just doesn't seem to work, and I can't figure
out why.

-Jeff

> I would check Systems/Device Manager/COM Ports/USB to Serial and verify
that
> the port is the same as the port found under Modems showing your phone.
And,
> then rerun the software including the wizarde. Then Quick Connect.

The serial port is working fine. When I try to connect from windows
dial-up-networking, the phone itself displays the number to be dialed and
appears to attempt to make the call for 5 seconds or so. Then it quits. I
think the problem is more service or authentication related. I don't see how
it could be related to the serial port, as the computer at least seems to be
talking to the phone okay. It just isn't making the call right.

-Jeff

Gator

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

"May be. I have used Mobile Office with Win '95,'98,
XP Home, and now XP-Pro. With VZW Mobile Office
and using QNC, the software has always handled the
user-id and the verification without my intervention.
One thing. In order to get rid of a wrong USB to Serial
COM Port, the phone and cable must be first removed
from the USB slot. I have previously sought assistance
from VZW Mobile Office techs., but usually less experienced
than I am.. Maybe someone else is on the NG who can
assist. If it dials then everything should be set up right.
If you see the two green bars then the thing should be
OK..Luck to you...

> "May be. I have used Mobile Office with Win '95,'98,
> XP Home, and now XP-Pro. With VZW Mobile Office
> and using QNC, the software has always handled the
> user-id and the verification without my intervention.
> One thing. In order to get rid of a wrong USB to Serial
> COM Port, the phone and cable must be first removed
> from the USB slot. I have previously sought assistance
> from VZW Mobile Office techs., but usually less experienced
> than I am.. Maybe someone else is on the NG who can
> assist. If it dials then everything should be set up right.
> If you see the two green bars then the thing should be
> OK..Luck to you...

Hmm...
Question... If I'm in an "extended network" area, does that mean I can't use
qnc but shouldn't I still be able to make a dial-up call to my ISP's modem
number? Neither are working right here even though I'm getting a full
digital signal. I'll keep tinkering and see if it works tomorrow in a 'home'
area.

-Jeff

"Jeff P." <jeff_phil-NO@SPAM-yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Gator" <gator2@webmail.co.za> wrote in message
>>
>> "May be. I have used Mobile Office with Win '95,'98,
>> XP Home, and now XP-Pro. With VZW Mobile Office
>> and using QNC, the software has always handled the
>> user-id and the verification without my intervention.
>> One thing. In order to get rid of a wrong USB to Serial
>> COM Port, the phone and cable must be first removed
>> from the USB slot. I have previously sought assistance
>> from VZW Mobile Office techs., but usually less experienced
>> than I am.. Maybe someone else is on the NG who can
>> assist. If it dials then everything should be set up right.
>> If you see the two green bars then the thing should be
>> OK..Luck to you...
>>

> Hmm...
> Question... If I'm in an "extended network" area, does that mean I
> can't use qnc but shouldn't I still be able to make a dial-up call to
> my ISP's modem number? Neither are working right here even though I'm
> getting a full digital signal. I'll keep tinkering and see if it
> works tomorrow in a 'home' area.
>
> -Jeff

In verizon native areas I've been able to use qnc dialing #777 no problem.
In extended digital areas I've been able to use qnc dialing #777 (mostly) no
problem.
In both verizon native and extended digital areas I've always been able to
use qnc dialing my ISP directly no problem
In verizon native (and usually (but not always) in extended) I can use the
high speed Express/NA/1X, but ONLY when I dial by #777.

If you aren't connecting via qnc and dialing your isp directly, you
DEFINITELY have a problem.

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote in message
> In verizon native areas I've been able to use qnc dialing #777 no problem.
> In extended digital areas I've been able to use qnc dialing #777 (mostly)
no
> problem.
> In both verizon native and extended digital areas I've always been able to
> use qnc dialing my ISP directly no problem
> In verizon native (and usually (but not always) in extended) I can use the
> high speed Express/NA/1X, but ONLY when I dial by #777.
>
> If you aren't connecting via qnc and dialing your isp directly, you
> DEFINITELY have a problem.

Well, I've tried directly dialing my ISP and it still doesn't work. I'll try
it tomorrow in Detroit on the native Verizon towers. If it works there but
not here, I'll blame it on Thumb Cellular being rediculus.

-Jeff

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:36:11 -0400, "Jeff P."
<jeff_phil-NO@SPAM-yahoo.com> wrote:

>Question... If I'm in an "extended network" area, does that mean I can't use
>qnc but shouldn't I still be able to make a dial-up call to my ISP's modem

Whether *any* data services work or not depends on the specific
carrier you're on. ALLTEL generally supports data for VZW customers,
at least in their markets in the South and West that weren't formerly
CenturyTel, and IIRC, Midwest Wireless does too, but most other
Extended Network carriers (including SPCS) don't.

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might

"Stanley Cline" <sc1-news@roamer1.org> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:36:11 -0400, "Jeff P."
> <jeff_phil-NO@SPAM-yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Question... If I'm in an "extended network" area, does that mean I
>> can't use qnc but shouldn't I still be able to make a dial-up call
>> to my ISP's modem
>
> Whether *any* data services work or not depends on the specific
> carrier you're on. ALLTEL generally supports data for VZW customers,
> at least in their markets in the South and West that weren't formerly
> CenturyTel, and IIRC, Midwest Wireless does too, but most other
> Extended Network carriers (including SPCS) don't.
>
> -SC

You should be able to use qnc to call your ISP directly no matter as long as
you are in a digital area. Obviously haven't tried em all, and I suppose
some won't work, but I have been traveling with a laptop/using a cell to
call my ISP (earthlink) for the last couple years and haven't had a problem
yet (knock on wood....err make that simulated wood made from plastic). The
only place I've been that was extended but *not* digital was Alaska. Maybe
it should be a digital/analog question instead.

Okay, I can dial into my own ISP's modem pool from Detroit on a native
Verizon tower. However, I can't use #700 qnc/qnc to get on, nor can I get on
at all using either method from a Thumb Cellular "extended network" tower
despite it being CDMA.

It seems to me that I should be able to use the #700 thing on Verizon's own
towers, and even though this might not work in extended network areas I
still ought to be able to directly dial into my ISP's modem pool, right? I
don't see why not, or what is wrong.

Thanks,

> Okay, I can dial into my own ISP's modem pool from Detroit on a native
> Verizon tower. However, I can't use #700 qnc/qnc to get on, nor can I
> get on at all using either method from a Thumb Cellular "extended
> network" tower despite it being CDMA.
>
> It seems to me that I should be able to use the #700 thing on
> Verizon's own towers, and even though this might not work in extended
> network areas I still ought to be able to directly dial into my ISP's
> modem pool, right? I don't see why not, or what is wrong.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

It is #777. That's Pound seven seven seven.

What you typed above is the wrong number, and won't work no matter where you
are.

Andrew

Jeff P. <jeff_phil-NO@spam-yahoo.com> wrote:

: Okay, I can dial into my own ISP's modem pool from Detroit on a native
: Verizon tower. However, I can't use #700 qnc/qnc to get on, nor can I get on
: at all using either method from a Thumb Cellular "extended network" tower
: despite it being CDMA.

: It seems to me that I should be able to use the #700 thing on Verizon's own
: towers, and even though this might not work in extended network areas I
: still ought to be able to directly dial into my ISP's modem pool, right? I
: don't see why not, or what is wrong.

I'm using #777 - have you tried that?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message

> I'm using #777 - have you tried that?
>
> Andrew

Oops! You're right. Well, that explains why I wasn't able to connect via QNC
when I was in the native Verizon area, since I was using the wrong number.
But, regardless I still can't connect even to a local ISP's modem number
while in the Thumb Cellular area. It is as though they have all data
connections blocked. I don't see why, it's getting a full CDMA digital
signal.

-Jeff