Carpenter52

Distinguished
May 3, 2003
I am building a new computer based on the Giga Byte GA 8PE800 Ultra mother board with a True Power 380 power supply. During the process of installing Windows XP I needed to leave the computer running overnight to download updates. Got up the next morning everything seemed normal. Spent several more hours working on the software install, then needed to shut down the computer. Windows shut down normally, monitor went black for about a second then the computer rebooted its self. This happens every time I shut down. I can unplug the computer and it will shut down. When I plug it back it will stay off. But the minute I turn it back on it goes back to not shuting down. Prior to last night the computer would shut down normally. Is it possible that something happend to the power supply during the 10 hours it was running? Any other suggestions.

System specs
Evercase mid tower
Antec True Power 380 psu
Giga Byte Ga 8PE800 Ultra motherboard
P4 2.4GHz
2 512mb Crucial PC2700 DDR
2 Maxtor 80gb hard drives
3.5 floppy
Toshiba DVD ROM
MSI Ti 4200 8X video card
USR modem
Windows XP SP1 Home

Thanks for any help
Carpenter52

I have worked with computers for a while but this is my first "from the ground up" build.

Did you get all the updates from Microshaft? Sometimes after you get the original updates you also get problems, that Microshaft knows about, then you can go back to the update site, and get the updates for the problems the updates caused, go back to the Microshaft Updates site, and recheck for available updates, and make sure you've gotten everything, that could be your problem, and you need to eliminate that as a possible cause of your shutdown issue.

PS Microshaft is not misspelled in my book.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
There is a known issue with XP machines not powering down...

The relevent articles are here:
<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308029" target="_new">http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308029</A>

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

Yes, hopefully Service Pack 2 will resolve these issues.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>