network newbie

March 2, 2005 12:21:03 PM

Would like to network our 2 laptops, one running XP Home, other Win98SE.

At present have DSL coming in to router, ethernet out to both computers. No
problems.

Is feasible to leave connections as they are and set up a network from the
XP machine back through the router and to the other computer?

Confused about what the wizard is telling me about feeding the internet
through one computer and out to the other.

Thanks for any assistance!

More about : network newbie

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 3:12:25 PM

First, go to Start>'Help and Support Center' and type "home network" in the
Search box in the upper left. Read the articles that show up under
'Overview, Articles and Tutorials'.

Then go to Start>'My Network Places' and in the left pane choose the third
item, 'Set up a home or small office network.' That will start the Network
Wizard. At the end, create a network floppy and run the file the wizard
creates on the floppy on the other computer. You will then see both
computers when you go to My Network Places and choose 'View network
computers' in the left pane. It may take a few minutes the first time.

"lumiere" <lumiere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Would like to network our 2 laptops, one running XP Home, other Win98SE.
>
> At present have DSL coming in to router, ethernet out to both computers.
> No
> problems.
>
> Is feasible to leave connections as they are and set up a network from the
> XP machine back through the router and to the other computer?
>
> Confused about what the wizard is telling me about feeding the internet
> through one computer and out to the other.
>
> Thanks for any assistance!
March 2, 2005 3:53:53 PM

Also try here: http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm or here:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoo...