ADD / REMOVE

March 2, 2005 2:15:02 PM

Hello
Could someone adivse me how to get a print out of the "Add or Replace" list?
For my records, I would like to have a print-out of programs sorted by name,
size, frequency of use, etc.
Thanks for any help ----
Robert

More about : add remove

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 3:28:45 PM

You would have to use a third party program like SnagIt! that can print the
contents of a scrolling window. In any case, Add/Remove is not a complete
list of programs on your computer and it certainly cannot provide frequency
of use.

What you need to do is a familiarization tour of the Help and Support
Center.
Go to Start>'Help and Support' and under Pick a Task choose the fourth item,
'Use TOOLS to view...' etc. Then browse the tools in the pane on the left,
such as Advanced System Information and My Computer Information. I have
printed the System Information Report for my machine and it consumed 63
pages. Other files are logs and lists of signed and unsigned programs and
files, etc. You will have a lot of fun learning about all the different
ways you can see what your system is up to.

Have fun!

"Robert - 3052" <Robert3052@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> Could someone adivse me how to get a print out of the "Add or Replace"
> list?
> For my records, I would like to have a print-out of programs sorted by
> name,
> size, frequency of use, etc.
> Thanks for any help ----
> Robert
March 2, 2005 11:33:12 PM

Robert - 3052 wrote:
|| Hello
|| Could someone adivse me how to get a print out of the "Add or
|| Replace" list? For my records, I would like to have a print-out of
|| programs sorted by name, size, frequency of use, etc.
|| Thanks for any help ----
|| Robert

Try here:

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
March 2, 2005 11:33:13 PM

Belarc does not address frequency of use. Besides, the Help and Support
center gives access to a greater variety of reports and logs.

"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> Robert - 3052 wrote:
> || Hello
> || Could someone adivse me how to get a print out of the "Add or
> || Replace" list? For my records, I would like to have a print-out of
> || programs sorted by name, size, frequency of use, etc.
> || Thanks for any help ----
> || Robert
>
> Try here:
> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

March 2, 2005 11:33:14 PM

Sounds like a interesting experiment BUT its not on my dell. Must be
something vendor installed?.
SG

> Belarc does not address frequency of use. Besides, the Help and Support
> center gives access to a greater variety of reports and logs.

> "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> Try here:
>> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>>
>> --
>> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
>> Gordon Burgess-Parker
>> Director
>> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 11:33:15 PM

If you have Windows you have Help and Support. Click the Start button and
it is right there on lower right of the Start menu just above Search and
Run. Click it and the Help and Support center opens. The "Use TOOLS to
view your computer information and diagnose problems" is right above the
large lettering "Did you know?" It is the bottom of four green arrows under
Pick a Task. Click it and you will see the pane on the left with all the
tools.

"shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
news:o %23MGJa5HFHA.1860@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Sounds like a interesting experiment BUT its not on my dell. Must be
> something vendor installed?.
> SG

>> Belarc does not address frequency of use. Besides, the Help and Support
>> center gives access to a greater variety of reports and logs.
>>
>> --
>> "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Try here:
>>> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
>>> Gordon Burgess-Parker
>>> Director
>>> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

March 3, 2005 10:47:03 AM

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
|| If you have Windows you have Help and Support. Click the Start
|| button and it is right there on lower right of the Start menu just
|| above Search and Run. Click it and the Help and Support center
|| opens. The "Use TOOLS to view your computer information and
|| diagnose problems" is right above the large lettering "Did you
|| know?" It is the bottom of four green arrows under Pick a Task.
|| Click it and you will see the pane on the left with all the tools.

Well it took me quite a while to even FIND where it lists installed
software, and when I got there, there was no frequency of use!

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 10:47:04 AM

You have to do a little work and set up some logs, my friend. Anyway, data
is there in abundance. As I said, familiarize yourself with the tools.
There are other admin tools that you can download and plug into the Computer
Management Console. It is a very broad ranging subject within XP and I know
you will have hours of enjoyment exploring. Best of luck!

> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> || If you have Windows you have Help and Support. Click the Start
> || button and it is right there on lower right of the Start menu just
> || above Search and Run. Click it and the Help and Support center
> || opens. The "Use TOOLS to view your computer information and
> || diagnose problems" is right above the large lettering "Did you
> || know?" It is the bottom of four green arrows under Pick a Task.
> || Click it and you will see the pane on the left with all the tools.
>
> Well it took me quite a while to even FIND where it lists installed
> software, and when I got there, there was no frequency of use!
>

> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

March 3, 2005 11:18:24 AM

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
|| There are other admin tools that you can download
|| and plug into the Computer Management Console.

I'd be interested in seeing those - do you have urls?

Thanks

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:10:37 PM

Many are on the Windows XP Pro cd. But then you would know this from
exploring the Help and Support Center tools pane entries; such as the
Resource Kit Tools entry in the tools pane which gives dozens of links to
url's for the resource kits at Microsoft, and the Windows Support Tools
entry in the tools pane which explains how to access the tools in the
Support folder on the Windows XP cd (but I'm sure you know about the support
tools from your browsing the cd yourself). You really don't have to go
about the web willy nilly to find these things. They are all mapped out for
you in the Help and Support Center.

> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> || There are other admin tools that you can download
> || and plug into the Computer Management Console.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing those - do you have urls?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

March 4, 2005 4:41:45 AM

Collin Thank you. I did find the area you suggested, once I got into help
and support "yes I knew how to get there" there was not and is not a "use
tools" green arrows or "pick a task as you said but rather there is
additional resources with "tools" being number 5 on list.
Just wanted to let you know I wasn't that dumb but was looking for something
labeled different from your instructions.
SG
> If you have Windows you have Help and Support. Click the Start button and
> it is right there on lower right of the Start menu just above Search and
> Run. Click it and the Help and Support center opens. The "Use TOOLS to
> view your computer information and diagnose problems" is right above the
> large lettering "Did you know?" It is the bottom of four green arrows
> under Pick a Task. Click it and you will see the pane on the left with
> all the tools.

> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
> news:o %23MGJa5HFHA.1860@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Sounds like a interesting experiment BUT its not on my dell. Must be
>> something vendor installed?.
>> SG
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> Belarc does not address frequency of use. Besides, the Help and Support
>>> center gives access to a greater variety of reports and logs.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:41:46 AM

The first screen in Help and Support has two green arrows below Ask For
Assistance and four green arrows below Pick A Task. It is the fourth arrow
under Pick a Task. It says "Use Tools to view your computer information and
diagnose problems." When you click this link you get another screen with
the title Tools and a pane on the left titled "Tools."

"shakey" <shakey@nearsonic.net> wrote in message
> Collin Thank you. I did find the area you suggested, once I got into help
> and support "yes I knew how to get there" there was not and is not a "use
> tools" green arrows or "pick a task as you said but rather there is
> additional resources with "tools" being number 5 on list.
> Just wanted to let you know I wasn't that dumb but was looking for
> something labeled different from your instructions.
> SG
>> If you have Windows you have Help and Support. Click the Start button
>> and it is right there on lower right of the Start menu just above Search
>> and Run. Click it and the Help and Support center opens. The "Use TOOLS
>> to view your computer information and diagnose problems" is right above
>> the large lettering "Did you know?" It is the bottom of four green
>> arrows under Pick a Task. Click it and you will see the pane on the left
>> with all the tools.
>>
>> --
>> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>> news:o %23MGJa5HFHA.1860@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> Sounds like a interesting experiment BUT its not on my dell. Must be
>>> something vendor installed?.
>>> SG
>>>
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

March 5, 2005 3:51:54 AM

For a MVP you sure are hard headed!
Trust me - I know what's on my screens and it apparently is NOT EVEN SIMILAR
to yours. Go take a look at a DELL machine of about six months old vintage.
Nuf said- thanks again- bye

news:o RWkl4FIFHA.608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The first screen in Help and Support has two green arrows below Ask For
> Assistance and four green arrows below Pick A Task. It is the fourth
> arrow under Pick a Task. It says "Use Tools to view your computer
> information and diagnose problems." When you click this link you get
> another screen with the title Tools and a pane on the left titled "Tools."

> "shakey" <shakey@nearsonic.net> wrote in message
>> Collin Thank you. I did find the area you suggested, once I got into help
>> and support "yes I knew how to get there" there was not and is not a "use
>> tools" green arrows or "pick a task as you said but rather there is
>> additional resources with "tools" being number 5 on list.
>> Just wanted to let you know I wasn't that dumb but was looking for
>> something labeled different from your instructions.
>> SG
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> If you have Windows you have Help and Support. Click the Start button
>>> and it is right there on lower right of the Start menu just above Search
>>> and Run. Click it and the Help and Support center opens. The "Use
>>> TOOLS to view your computer information and diagnose problems" is right
>>> above the large lettering "Did you know?" It is the bottom of four
>>> green arrows under Pick a Task. Click it and you will see the pane on
>>> the left with all the tools.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o %23MGJa5HFHA.1860@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:19:11 PM

If you have a Dell system, then it's not a fault of Colin. What Colin said
is correct, and applies very much to a retail build of XP (OEMs customize
the Help Center).

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> For a MVP you sure are hard headed!
> Trust me - I know what's on my screens and it apparently is NOT EVEN
> SIMILAR to yours. Go take a look at a DELL machine of about six months old
> vintage.
> Nuf said- thanks again- bye

> news:o RWkl4FIFHA.608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> The first screen in Help and Support has two green arrows below Ask For
>> Assistance and four green arrows below Pick A Task. It is the fourth
>> arrow under Pick a Task. It says "Use Tools to view your computer
>> information and diagnose problems." When you click this link you get
>> another screen with the title Tools and a pane on the left titled
>> "Tools."
>>
>> --
>> "shakey" <shakey@nearsonic.net> wrote in message
>>> Collin Thank you. I did find the area you suggested, once I got into
>>> help and support "yes I knew how to get there" there was not and is not
>>> a "use tools" green arrows or "pick a task as you said but rather there
>>> is additional resources with "tools" being number 5 on list.
>>> Just wanted to let you know I wasn't that dumb but was looking for
>>> something labeled different from your instructions.
>>> SG
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

March 6, 2005 3:15:53 AM

That's exactly what I said since my first message. His information was very
useful BUT he refused to believe that my DELL didn't look as he thought it
should. Colin needs more experience as insisting on what I should see WAS
his fault, especially insinuating that I couldn't even find the start
button. period, eos,fini, end
I glance thru this group daily and Ramesh you are the most clear and useful.
Thanks

> If you have a Dell system, then it's not a fault of Colin. What Colin said
> is correct, and applies very much to a retail build of XP (OEMs customize
> the Help Center).
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "shakey" <shakey@nearsonic.net> wrote in message
>> For a MVP you sure are hard headed!
>> Trust me - I know what's on my screens and it apparently is NOT EVEN
>> SIMILAR to yours. Go take a look at a DELL machine of about six months
>> old vintage.
>> Nuf said- thanks again- bye
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>> news:o RWkl4FIFHA.608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> The first screen in Help and Support has two green arrows below Ask For
>>> Assistance and four green arrows below Pick A Task. It is the fourth
>>> arrow under Pick a Task. It says "Use Tools to view your computer
>>> information and diagnose problems." When you click this link you get
>>> another screen with the title Tools and a pane on the left titled
>>> "Tools."
>>>
>>> --
>>> "shakey" <shakey@nearsonic.net> wrote in message

March 6, 2005 3:15:54 AM

Contact Dell then, My Dell has all that Colin described, and all of my XP
Dells have had the same thing.

> That's exactly what I said since my first message. His information was
> very
> useful BUT he refused to believe that my DELL didn't look as he thought it
> should. Colin needs more experience as insisting on what I should see WAS
> his fault, especially insinuating that I couldn't even find the start
> button. period, eos,fini, end
> I glance thru this group daily and Ramesh you are the most clear and
> useful.
> Thanks

>> If you have a Dell system, then it's not a fault of Colin. What Colin
>> said is correct, and applies very much to a retail build of XP (OEMs
>> customize the Help Center).
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "shakey" <shakey@nearsonic.net> wrote in message
>>> For a MVP you sure are hard headed!
>>> Trust me - I know what's on my screens and it apparently is NOT EVEN
>>> SIMILAR to yours. Go take a look at a DELL machine of about six months
>>> old vintage.
>>> Nuf said- thanks again- bye
>>>
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o RWkl4FIFHA.608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:15:54 AM

Quote anywhere I said anything about believing you or not. I made
statements of fact.

"shakey" <shakey@nearsonic.net> wrote in message
> That's exactly what I said since my first message. His information was
> very
> useful BUT he refused to believe that my DELL didn't look as he thought it
> should. Colin needs more experience as insisting on what I should see WAS
> his fault, especially insinuating that I couldn't even find the start
> button. period, eos,fini, end
> I glance thru this group daily and Ramesh you are the most clear and
> useful.
> Thanks

>> If you have a Dell system, then it's not a fault of Colin. What Colin
>> said is correct, and applies very much to a retail build of XP (OEMs
>> customize the Help Center).
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "shakey" <shakey@nearsonic.net> wrote in message
>>> For a MVP you sure are hard headed!
>>> Trust me - I know what's on my screens and it apparently is NOT EVEN
>>> SIMILAR to yours. Go take a look at a DELL machine of about six months
>>> old vintage.
>>> Nuf said- thanks again- bye
>>>
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o RWkl4FIFHA.608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

March 6, 2005 1:30:36 PM

Gordon- I cant quote what you didn't say. I did say you INSINUATED it.
PLEASE lets drop this and just say we agree to disagree as I truly
appreciated your help.
Tom- Of course mine does also, I never said different. BUT it does not
APPEAR in the format he kept stating IE four green arrows ETC.
Here is my Help & support screen NO ARROWS - NO PICK A TASK
Pick a Help topic
a..
Computer information
a..
User and system guides

a..
What's new in Windows XP
a..
Music, video, games, and photos
a..
Windows basics
a..
Protecting your PC: security basics

a..
Networking and the Web
a..
Working remotely
a..
System administration

a..
Customizing your computer
a..
Accessibility

a..
Printing and faxing
a..
Performance and maintenance
a..
Hardware
a..
Fixing a problem
a..
Send your feedback to Microsoft

Dell Online
Dell Support
Personalized support with options that relate directly to your
computer and even the way you think

Dell Customer Care
Visit the Customer Care website for order status,
pick-up/redelivery, invoice requests, etc.

Dell Hints and Tips
Quick hints and tips for all your computing and technology needs

Community Forum
Join the community of Dell customers and employees who can answer
your computer questions

Additional resources
System Restore Compatible hardware and software
Windows Update Remote Assistance Tools

Did you know? Updated: Thursday, December 09, 2004
a..
Set your online search options

When you are connected to the Internet, this area will display links
to timely help and support information. If you want to connect to the
Internet now, start the New Connection Wizard and see how to establish a Web
connection through an Internet service provider.
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:47:09 PM

The first item on the table should be the right one, 'Computer Information'
and then drill down from there.

!