How do I run Scan Disk with XP Pro? When I use the Win 98 method: start,
all programs, accessories, and system tools, there is a defragment but no
scan disk.

In news:uz0ang3HFHA.3332@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
George Mabry <george.mabry@comcast.net> typed:

> How do I run Scan Disk with XP Pro? When I use the Win 98
> method:
> start, all programs, accessories, and system tools, there is a
> defragment but no scan disk.

Neither Windows XP nor any other version of Windows NT has
scandisk. The XP equivalent is called chkdsk.

Enter chkdsk at the Start | Run line.

Please reply to the newsgroup

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

George Mabry wrote:
> How do I run Scan Disk with XP Pro? When I use the Win 98 method: start,
> all programs, accessories, and system tools, there is a defragment but no
> scan disk.

WinXP does not have a program called "Scandisk," as this was a
Win9x/Me program. Instead, because WinXP is descended from the WinNT/2K
OS family, it has a command line utility called "Chkdsk," which performs
much better.

Start > Run > Cmd > Chkdsk.exe /? for the correct syntax and
available options.

Alternatively, double-click My Computer > right-click the desired
hard drive > Properties > Tools > Error-checking/Check Now. This will
run Chkdsk, normally on the next reboot.

Unless you are actually experiencing a specific problem related to
your hard drive's file system, there's no real need to run Chkdsk.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm