Trouble upgrading RAM-Tyan Trinity 400

BanshEE

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
Does any one know if it is possible to max out the RAM on a system not using the biggest module the main board can hold? The Tyan tech support told me just that about my Trinity 400: "This board will only use up to 768MB so no matter what you'll not be able to use 1.5GB of memory at once. Now I'm sure you probably could use a single stick of 512MB memory but it would probably be cheaper to do 3 256MB to max out the memory that this board can use.” I found this strange, since I never saw a board that could not use all the banks with top size modules.
Can any one shed some light on this?

Your OP/SYS is a restricting feature in itself only Win2K and WinXP efficiently run over 512Mb of RAM, Win98/Win98SE/and WinME are better off limiting to 512Mb total period, I had a Tyan Trinity 400 myself and my suggestion to you is to go with a 512Mb module of SDRAM with Cas Latency 2 capability, run it in slot 1 by itself, it will outperform the full banks, and is all you really need.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>