A7N8X doesn't recognise CD drives

Matt_E

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
I've just assembled my new PC but have got stuck. I have two old CD drives from my old pc. One is very old and the other is a newish DVD/CDRW combo. The mobo (A7N8X DLX) recognises the old drive, and a light comes on, but it won't open. The DVD on the other hand shows no signs of life at all.
I've tried different master/slave, cable, channel etc. configurations, but it's the same story.
Even more confusingly, I tried both the drives out on my old computer which is broken, but will boot enough for the fans to start and power to get through to the drives, and they showed the same symptoms.
Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be or how to solve it? Is it possible that both the drives have spontaneously gone belly up at the same time, perhaps as a symptom of whatever killed my old pc in the first place?

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
it is possible what you say, but also consider: are you sure you power cords are inserted correctly? (pin one) Is your PSU strong enough?

Or try them one at a time. If they exhibit same tendencies on both comps, that would tell me that its not the pc's, its actually the cd roms themselves. There cheap nowadays, get one new oen and see if it works out, then buy the second dvd rom.

Visit my <A HREF="http://www3.sympatico.ca/rdykens" target="_new">Webpage</A> to see my modded Asus A7N8X and Swiftech watercooling setup, my 3DMark scores and improve your system performance with my many computer tweaks!

TRENDING THREADS