Intermittent registry problem coldstarting XP Home SP2

I have an intermittent problem when booting XP Home from cold. A
pop-up is displayed after booting when the first user logs on and a
message is logged in the System Event log. The message has Event ID
26 and says:-

Application popup: Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the
files containing the system's Registry data had to be
recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery
was successful.

Occasionally, not very often, a different messags is logged, this time
in the Application Event log. This has Event ID 1000 and says:-

An error occurred while the wizard was checking the current
Windows product license. Error Code: 8: 0x8007007f

This one requires a restart to recover, but is presumably a symptom of
the same problem: something is corrupting the registry, perhaps during
shutdown (which might explain why it only happens on cold starts).

It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes several days, or a week or
more can pass, but then the problem re-appears again.

I've tried uninstalling software, disabling software and drivers but
to no avail: I cannot find out what is causing this to happen.

Has anyone got any ideas?

--
Michael

I assume that you running your antivirus and antispyware checkers often. It
is possible that one of the antispyware programs is returning a false
positive and removing a needed file or registry entry. Why don't you tell
us what programs like that you are running.

"Michael M Mason" <mmmason@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have an intermittent problem when booting XP Home from cold. A
> pop-up is displayed after booting when the first user logs on and a
> message is logged in the System Event log. The message has Event ID
> 26 and says:-
>
> Application popup: Windows - Registry Recovery : One of the
> files containing the system's Registry data had to be
> recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery
> was successful.
>
> Occasionally, not very often, a different messags is logged, this time
> in the Application Event log. This has Event ID 1000 and says:-
>
> An error occurred while the wizard was checking the current
> Windows product license. Error Code: 8: 0x8007007f
>
> This one requires a restart to recover, but is presumably a symptom of
> the same problem: something is corrupting the registry, perhaps during
> shutdown (which might explain why it only happens on cold starts).
>
> It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes several days, or a week or
> more can pass, but then the problem re-appears again.
>
> I've tried uninstalling software, disabling software and drivers but
> to no avail: I cannot find out what is causing this to happen.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas?
>
> --
> Michael

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:08:46 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
<colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:

>I assume that you running your antivirus and antispyware checkers often. It
>is possible that one of the antispyware programs is returning a false
>positive and removing a needed file or registry entry. Why don't you tell
>us what programs like that you are running.

MS AntiSpyware Beta and Panda Platinum 7.07.

However, the problem pre-dates the installation of MSAS so isn't
likely to be caused by that (in fact, installing MSAS has been part of
the effort to identify and fix the problem). And I've tried
uninstalling the Panda and running without it for a few days, but the
problem still occurred so I re-installed it.

--
Michael

I run three other antispyware programs in addition to MS AS beta: Spybot
Search and Destroy, AdAware, and Pest Patrol. No one AS program seems to
catch them all.

> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:08:46 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
> <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>I assume that you running your antivirus and antispyware checkers often.
>>It
>>is possible that one of the antispyware programs is returning a false
>>positive and removing a needed file or registry entry. Why don't you tell
>>us what programs like that you are running.
>
> MS AntiSpyware Beta and Panda Platinum 7.07.
>
> However, the problem pre-dates the installation of MSAS so isn't
> likely to be caused by that (in fact, installing MSAS has been part of
> the effort to identify and fix the problem). And I've tried
> uninstalling the Panda and running without it for a few days, but the
> problem still occurred so I re-installed it.
>
> --
> Michael

XP Pro AMD 1400 256 ram x2 80gig hd
i am having the same prob and can not install new programs as the reg file
is overwritten
some one HELP !