K6-2 upgrade on 430HX??

jedi1

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
I've been doing the research but i'm still not sure if I can upgrade Pentium 1 200MHz to K6-2 400MHz on Triton II 430HX mobo. Mobo will support 6.0 multiplier but I'm not sure K6-2 can withstand voltage discrepency. If voltage is a problem, is there anything I can tweak on mobo to get correct voltage? As yet, I don't see any other jumpers and I've read there are no adjustable voltage jumpers on it.

Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A few HX boards supported lower core voltage. I've used K6-2's successfully for years at 2.8v core (Pentium MMX voltage) with larger coolers (most budget priced Athlon/Duron/PIII/Celeron coolers are more than adequate).

Ideally you want 2.2v. 2.5v is OK, and 2.8v will be a little warm but still coolable with the larger coolers. 3.3v will definately hurt it.

So I would only recommend them on Pentium MMX voltage or lower. As for your 6x multiplier, that really doesn't matter. You see, K6-2's from 350MHz and up interpret 2x as 6x internally, so that the 133MHz setting (2x66.6) gives you 400MHz (6x66.6) instead.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

jedi1

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
Hi and thanks for your reply. Wish me luck because I just bought a K6-2 450 on eBay for $20.00 bucks. I'm gonna have to hunt down a cooler in my garage which will be a project in itself! As you probably guessed, I'm a bit of a nOOb at this stuff. Tom's Hardware has been very informative though. Props to the site and to you! I hope this works!

Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Bad news, last time I did a Compaq Pentium MMX to AMD K6-2 conversion it never ran right. Of course that was on an "AMD" chipset that the OS said was a VIA chipset.

It's possible the HX chipset board won't have that problem. And the only way to know what jumper settings you have is to look inside the lid at the sticker. If you can set it for Pentium MMX, then you have a low enough voltage as long as you cool it properly. Cross reference the "166" setting with the "166MMX" setting to figure out which jumpers are different, those are the ones you need for the drop to 2.8v. Then use the remaining switches (the ones that were the same between the 166 and 166MMX) for a Pentium 133 to get a 2x multiplier.

The other problem I had was finding a good cooler that would fit in the tight space allowed.

jedi1

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
Thanks again! I'm expecting the k6-2 later this week, so we'll see. If I can't pull the upgrade off, the cpu will make a nifty paperweight. I'll let you know.

jedi1

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
Hi! Received the K6-2 450 and heatsink today. Installed it, set multiplier jumpers to 2.0x, powered on PC and, drumroll please...nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Would not even boot. Oh, the monitor light flashes on and off. Yippee. Tried different clock speed @ 2.0x and still nothing. The other day, after I made eBay purchase, I found a site that listed K6-2 compatibility. This PC (Deskpro 2000) is listed as incompatible. They may be right. :( I'm seriously considering the paperweight thingy. Your thoughts?

Sincerely,

Jedi "Twenty Bucks Lighter" 1

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My thoughts? You didn't set it to a lower core voltage, you might have blown it as soon as you turned it on. You should have simply sent me the $20.