switching over from old user to new

My partner and I split,and gained custody of the PC w/XP Home, much different
from Win98se I'm used too.My question is how can I change C:\Documents and
Settings\His name\My Documents .....to C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My
Documents. And anywhere else this End User info may be?? Programs I have just
installed also installed to His name..HELP. It was nice of him to leave the
PC, I will be the only user and am not on any network other than the
Internet, can I simplify the operation of the PC to reflect this. I have
created a Computer Administrator Account for myself, whats my next step??
Thanking you in advance for any help offered.

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"XP rookie" wrote:

| My partner and I split,and gained custody of the PC w/XP Home, much different
| from Win98se I'm used too.My question is how can I change C:\Documents and
| Settings\His name\My Documents .....to C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My
| Documents. And anywhere else this End User info may be?? Programs I have just
| installed also installed to His name..HELP. It was nice of him to leave the
| PC, I will be the only user and am not on any network other than the
| Internet, can I simplify the operation of the PC to reflect this. I have
| created a Computer Administrator Account for myself, whats my next step??
| Thanking you in advance for any help offered.

Hi,

You can't change those names, you have to create new accounts with those
names. Use the article in the link Carey provided to copy data from the old
one to it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

XP rookie wrote:
> My partner and I split,and gained custody of the PC w/XP Home, much different
> from Win98se I'm used too.My question is how can I change C:\Documents and
> Settings\His name\My Documents .....to C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My
> Documents. And anywhere else this End User info may be?? Programs I have just
> installed also installed to His name..HELP. It was nice of him to leave the
> PC, I will be the only user and am not on any network other than the
> Internet, can I simplify the operation of the PC to reflect this. I have
> created a Computer Administrator Account for myself, whats my next step??
> Thanking you in advance for any help offered.

To fix the "Registered to" information for WinNT/2K/XP,
you can use Start > Run > Regedit.exe to edit:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\RegisteredOwner

and:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\RegisteredOrganization

How this will affect the name displayed in previously installed
applications will vary depending upon each individual program; some
read the registered owner information dynamically, while others read
it only during installation.

The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
_cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Thank you for your replies,I followed the steps in kb811151, no problem
copying the files to "my name". I did not copy Ntuser.dat...Ntuser.dat.LOG
they are still in the old users Documents and Settings file. I could not
locate Ntuser.ini ??? In User Accounts I deleted old account, then I was
offered to save a couple of files in a Folder w/old name to my Desktop, or
delete files. I choose to delete and remove all Old Files from PC,but they
are still there. HELP. Although I copied everything to New file, the file
sizes are different. Old file is 50MB larger. Whats up ?? Do I have to change
REGISTRY before I can delete any files that are attached to OLD Name??? Once
again thanks.

"XP rookie" wrote:

> My partner and I split,and gained custody of the PC w/XP Home, much different
> from Win98se I'm used too.My question is how can I change C:\Documents and
> Settings\His name\My Documents .....to C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My
> Documents. And anywhere else this End User info may be?? Programs I have just
> installed also installed to His name..HELP. It was nice of him to leave the
> PC, I will be the only user and am not on any network other than the
> Internet, can I simplify the operation of the PC to reflect this. I have
> created a Computer Administrator Account for myself, whats my next step??
> Thanking you in advance for any help offered.

What happens when you try to delete them?

--

> Thank you for your replies,I followed the steps in kb811151, no problem
> copying the files to "my name". I did not copy Ntuser.dat...Ntuser.dat.LOG
> they are still in the old users Documents and Settings file. I could not
> locate Ntuser.ini ??? In User Accounts I deleted old account, then I was
> offered to save a couple of files in a Folder w/old name to my Desktop, or
> delete files. I choose to delete and remove all Old Files from PC,but they
> are still there. HELP. Although I copied everything to New file, the file
> sizes are different. Old file is 50MB larger. Whats up ?? Do I have to
> change
> REGISTRY before I can delete any files that are attached to OLD Name???
> Once
> again thanks.
>
> "XP rookie" wrote:
>
>> My partner and I split,and gained custody of the PC w/XP Home, much
>> different
>> from Win98se I'm used too.My question is how can I change C:\Documents
>> and
>> Settings\His name\My Documents .....to C:\Documents and Settings\My
>> name\My
>> Documents. And anywhere else this End User info may be?? Programs I have
>> just
>> installed also installed to His name..HELP. It was nice of him to leave
>> the
>> PC, I will be the only user and am not on any network other than the
>> Internet, can I simplify the operation of the PC to reflect this. I have
>> created a Computer Administrator Account for myself, whats my next step??
>> Thanking you in advance for any help offered.

Hi Rick, this is driving me nuts, I'm not used to not having control of my
OS! I've tried every delete location possible..... " old user name is a
Windows System folder and is required for windows to work properly. It cannot
be deleted. If I open this folder and try to delete, Application Data,
Desktop, My Documents...etc. deleting is also denied. I'm thinking of moving
"old name folder" to removable media. What do you think????

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> What happens when you try to delete them?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "XP rookie" <XP rookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for your replies,I followed the steps in kb811151, no problem
> > copying the files to "my name". I did not copy Ntuser.dat...Ntuser.dat.LOG
> > they are still in the old users Documents and Settings file. I could not
> > locate Ntuser.ini ??? In User Accounts I deleted old account, then I was
> > offered to save a couple of files in a Folder w/old name to my Desktop, or
> > delete files. I choose to delete and remove all Old Files from PC,but they
> > are still there. HELP. Although I copied everything to New file, the file
> > sizes are different. Old file is 50MB larger. Whats up ?? Do I have to
> > change
> > REGISTRY before I can delete any files that are attached to OLD Name???
> > Once
> > again thanks.
> >
> > "XP rookie" wrote:
> >
> >> My partner and I split,and gained custody of the PC w/XP Home, much
> >> different
> >> from Win98se I'm used too.My question is how can I change C:\Documents
> >> and
> >> Settings\His name\My Documents .....to C:\Documents and Settings\My
> >> name\My
> >> Documents. And anywhere else this End User info may be?? Programs I have
> >> just
> >> installed also installed to His name..HELP. It was nice of him to leave
> >> the
> >> PC, I will be the only user and am not on any network other than the
> >> Internet, can I simplify the operation of the PC to reflect this. I have
> >> created a Computer Administrator Account for myself, whats my next step??
> >> Thanking you in advance for any help offered.

PLZ HELP.here is what I have accomplished so far. I renamed my PC,but when I
review the PC Name it shows" new computer name"\old user name. Whats up??I
have changed the "Registered To" info w/ regedit.exe, no problem there. I
have copied all "Old User C:\Documents and Settings.....to.... New User
C:\Documents and Settings, no problem there.PLZ can someone tell me how to
remove or delete any references and files, folder, profiles etc. regarding
"Old User". I"m using valuable HDD keeping this info.I have scoured the
Microsoft KB, to no avail, I'm beginning to see why he left me the PC. Once
again thanks for any replies.

"XP rookie" wrote:

> My partner and I split,and gained custody of the PC w/XP Home, much different
> from Win98se I'm used too.My question is how can I change C:\Documents and
> Settings\His name\My Documents .....to C:\Documents and Settings\My name\My
> Documents. And anywhere else this End User info may be?? Programs I have just
> installed also installed to His name..HELP. It was nice of him to leave the
> PC, I will be the only user and am not on any network other than the
> Internet, can I simplify the operation of the PC to reflect this. I have
> created a Computer Administrator Account for myself, whats my next step??
> Thanking you in advance for any help offered.

You need to take ownership.
http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership