help w/finding a new extension on my desktop

I hope somebody's out there that can help me soon! I can't
find a new download, can't fig out how to find my download
list (which I think is a wizard?),which ive seen on my
screen as a window, and Im not sure that would help, but I
have spent 2 hours checking everything in my XP. And of
course Search is no good. I've never yet managed to get
anything from Search ever. it keeps wanting me to ask for
a file or folder or person, even I know a software
extension is none of these. Ive been a user long enuf to
know that Search only works if you already know the answer.
Ive never been in a chat thing before, so please
excuse me up front if I don't use the right terms or protocol!

First of all, what download client did you use? MSN9? third party?
system?

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 21:37:24 -0800, new user charlie wrote:

> I've never yet managed to get
> anything from Search ever. it keeps wanting me to ask for
> a file or folder or person, even I know a software
> extension is none of these.

Try wildcards for the file name and tag on the extension. For example:
*.txt to search for text files. Since some extensions are very common, the
search results list could be very long so try adding the date criteria to
pinpoint files that appeared the day that the download took place.

Also, when the download dialog screens appear, they usually say what folder
they will be placing the file at. Take an extra second to read that
information before clicking the button to commence the download.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Charlie

I answered but I hit new post instead of reply, so i don't
know where it went. if you can find it and read it i would
really like to finish this up, but i don't even know where
new posts go. this is all SO discouraging. I don't even
know how to get back to this site, unless I just keep it
minimized and running. I bookmarked it, but that just
gives me a homepage and im not putting in the right search
words. i never do.

How are you accessing the newsgroup? Outlook Express or your web browser?

>I answered but I hit new post instead of reply, so i don't
> know where it went. if you can find it and read it i would
> really like to finish this up, but i don't even know where
> new posts go. this is all SO discouraging. I don't even
> know how to get back to this site, unless I just keep it
> minimized and running. I bookmarked it, but that just
> gives me a homepage and im not putting in the right search
> words. i never do.

Charlie

I hit my desktop icon for either of my two email sites, and
when the page comes up (yahoo or gmail) I either type new
sites in the address line, or I bring down stuff i have in
bookmarks in folders and open them in tabs.
I tried to set up a folder with this microsoft thingy
in several bookmarks, (and I signed up as a MSN (word?)
member), bec. I found some really good info sites in this
microsoft thingy (I don't know what you call the overall
thing. it's not a program, is it a site? and this is a
page?) but when I signed out (fortunately I still had this
page on a tab) of one tab, I lost it all and just came back
on this weird search page.
I know how to set up links on the links bar, if that
helps. I don't think I use outlook express. i don't use
it for email. i use yahoo and google. is my browser
Mozilla? I have both Mozilla and I have the Google desktop
search cause one of my sons said put that in, since Win. XP
Search never helped me. But I don't use it much from the
top (I mean by hitting the desktop icon and
"opening"--right word?--in google)..If I use google I just
get to it from a Mozilla search box on one of my toolbars.
Im sorry it takes so many words for me to answer, but
i don't have the right terminology yet to know how to
answer quick. I can't use IE alone, i have to go thru Firefox.
If you can help me get a grasp of what you mean, I
would really appreciate it. Im trying!

Its called a 'newsgroup' or 'forum'. NG for short.