Webpage created with MS Word...new PC has Word Perfect Off..

March 4, 2005 2:17:05 PM

Hi,
I am struggling with setting up my new Dell. Just wasted 45 min. on hold
with their help line. *sigh*.
I created my webpage using MS Word 97. PC arrived with Word Perfect Office
installed. I cannot seem to understand the "MS Word Mode" in the WP Office
so I installed my old CD of MS Word 97....it would not let me install "html"
something? sorry..forgot to write it down. Installation would complete if
"html" was not checked to install.
Is the old MS Word 97 not compatable with Windows XPs2?

When I open my homepage in MS Word 97, none of my pictures show up & the
columns are all to the left side. I just know this must be ignorance on my
part but I can't figure out how to make it look like before! I'm scared to
upload the edited page via Ace FTP for fear of crashing my website, which DID
happen once when I used an outdated Frontpage.

Should I just go out & buy Frontpage & start all over from scratch?
Thanks in advance for any & all help on the subject.
March 4, 2005 5:38:35 PM

In news:228B176E-48F5-4E27-9C41-12024CE1A809@microsoft.com,
Rettabug <Rettabug@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Should I just go out & buy Frontpage & start all over from scratch?
> Thanks in advance for any & all help on the subject.

I've found one of the best ways to write/edit html is with Notepad. It
doesn't add any extra comments, it's quick, and it's free. It would seem
that the server hosting your homepage has FrontPage extensions support added
or you'd have not asked this? Here's a handy text based HTML editor that's
free and has a lot of bells and whistles that will keep you busy for a
while:

http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage2.shtml

Then, after you've coded a couple of pages, you could consider buying the
new FrontPage. I'd start with something as a test first personally before
spending money on an application to see if it's something that keeps your
interest. A lot of the features that you can use with FrontPage require that
the server have the ability to render the pages which might be why your site
"crashed" once before.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 5:38:36 PM

Thank you for responding, Galen & trying to help me. Unfortunately, when I
open a page in Notepad to edit it, it is in html code. I don't know how to
write in html code...I was just typing my pages up like a normal document,
saving them "as a web page" & then uploading them to my site. The featured
choice of saving them "as a web page" is no longer available in my MS Word
program. I'm betting THAT is the html part that would not load properly. Is
it because of Windows XP??
I'm stumped but I thank you again for trying!

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:228B176E-48F5-4E27-9C41-12024CE1A809@microsoft.com,
> Rettabug <Rettabug@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
>
> > Should I just go out & buy Frontpage & start all over from scratch?
> > Thanks in advance for any & all help on the subject.
>
> I've found one of the best ways to write/edit html is with Notepad. It
> doesn't add any extra comments, it's quick, and it's free. It would seem
> that the server hosting your homepage has FrontPage extensions support added
> or you'd have not asked this? Here's a handy text based HTML editor that's
> free and has a lot of bells and whistles that will keep you busy for a
> while:
>
> http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage2.shtml
>
> Then, after you've coded a couple of pages, you could consider buying the
> new FrontPage. I'd start with something as a test first personally before
> spending money on an application to see if it's something that keeps your
> interest. A lot of the features that you can use with FrontPage require that
> the server have the ability to render the pages which might be why your site
> "crashed" once before.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "My mind rebels at stagnation. Give me problems, give me work, give me
> the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis, and I am
> in my own proper atmosphere. I can dispense then with artificial
> stimulants. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. I crave for
> mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

March 7, 2005 2:17:17 PM

Hi,

Actually, Word is a decent choice for creating web pages; beware, later
versions of Word than 97 will confuse you, so sitck to 97 for your web pages
until you're more experienced in actual code. Word is also a great tutor,
since it will write understandable HTML code for you without a lot of extra
stuff along just for the ride.
See inline comments also:

"Rettabug" <Rettabug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am struggling with setting up my new Dell. Just wasted 45 min. on hold
> with their help line. *sigh*.
> I created my webpage using MS Word 97. PC arrived with Word Perfect
> Office
> installed. I cannot seem to understand the "MS Word Mode" in the WP
> Office
> so I installed my old CD of MS Word 97....it would not let me install
> "html"
> something? sorry..forgot to write it down. Installation would complete
> if
> "html" was not checked to install.
> Is the old MS Word 97 not compatable with Windows XPs2?
===> Word97 is completely compatible with XP SP2. One thing you might want
to try, AFTER you get it installed the way you want it, is to set the
"Compatability" for it, but I never had to. Compatability settings are in
Start | Accessories | System Tools |
You do need the HTML features installed to use Word for web site work.
What is the error message you receive when it refuses to install? Try to
get the exact wording of the error message. If there are long strings of
"greek", don't bother with those; just the undertandable part of th emesage
and any program names it might have.

> When I open my homepage in MS Word 97, none of my pictures show up & the
> columns are all to the left side.
===> I don't know how you structured your web page, but if the pictures are
just boxes with little red x's in them, that means it cannot find the
graphics to display. Everything being on the left side I can't comment on
without knowing more about your structuring, but it's not important to your
problem at this moment.

I just know this must be ignorance on my
> part but I can't figure out how to make it look like before!
===> Haven't we all been there? Yup!!

I'm scared to
> upload the edited page via Ace FTP for fear of crashing my website, which
> DID
> happen once when I used an outdated Frontpage.
===> Correct. Do not upload anything to your website unless you know for a
fact it is right. It's best to be able to use Explorer see and run your
entire web site from your own hard drive before uploading it; that way you
know it's at least close to being right.

> Should I just go out & buy Frontpage & start all over from scratch?
> Thanks in advance for any & all help on the subject.
===> If you're familiair with Front Page and like it, I'd say yes if you can
afford it.
However, I think Wordperfect is capable of doing web sites, you just have to
get your files into a format it can understand, and your graphics loaded
into their proper folders so they'll show up.
I know the following is vague, but it's becuase I haven't used WP in
years:
-- Will your ftp client let you "download" from your web pages?
-- If so, use it to download your whole internet site onto your hard drive.
That way you have a properly arranged and representation of exactly what's
on your web site.
-- Experiement with, read the Help files, and maybe find a Wordperfect
group for assistance, until you can open, edit, and resave your modified (if
needed, as in site maintenance) files from Wordperfect.

IFF that's not acceptable, and you feel you must use Word97, try this:
-- Be sure you are NOT connected to the internet:
-- Turn OFF your antivirus software - it's important -
-- Install Word again; note the exact error message and bring it back here.
-- I suspect, don't know, that it's a conflict with WP preventing it from
installing somehow if it really won't install the HTML features.
-- IF, and only IF, you know how to reinstall WP, and you still can't get
97 installed right, try using Add/Remove to remove WP. THEN try installing
Word97.
-- Don't forget to turn your antivirus back on!

Come on back with as much detail as you can get together. Remember, we're
not sitting in front of your machine and need your guidance in order to
assist.

Best advice, in my opinion, assuming WP can do web pages: Learn WP, and
find a WP usergroup to get help. It's the cleanest way.
Do not succumb to any temptation or suggestion to get or try a later version
of WORD: It'll consuse you worse than WP, or at least as much!

Pop
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 4:21:01 PM

I appreciate your input, Pop. I did just like you said & went offline,
turned off McAffee, un-installed Word 97, then re-installed it. Got the same
message: "Windows registry shows one or more regular files damaged or
missing. To correct the problem, run Word Setup program." I did, several
times. It says "Microsoft Word 97 was installed successfully", yet when I go
to my webpage & try to edit it with MS Word 97 it gives me the same message
"1 or more regular files damaged..."

Because I am not seeing ANY pictures...no red x blocks either, I decided to
try to insert a picture from a file. Nothing happened. Repeat...nothing.
Tried to insert a picture from a clip file & got the following message: "The
file Artgal50 mmc is corrupted beyond repair. You must delete or rename it.
For info click F1, read Troubleshooting Artgal 50 mmc."

You asked "Will my FTP let me download to my computer" I'm pretty sure it
will, as the arrows go both right & left for transferring files.

You said "IF, and only IF, you know how to reinstall WP"....how hard can it
be? Same as any removal of a program, right????

Neighbor guy offered to bring over his Word Office Professional to see if IT
would work with WP. Do you still advise against at least trying it? I'll be
happy to purchase my own copy IF it works & even getting Front Page is not a
problem. I just don't want to shell out the money if the same problem is
going to happen. I'm still not sure it isn't some default setting from the
factory with Dell. They had to expand a file to allow my Spell Check to work
in Outlook Express. Seemed like it was a new learning item for the
tech.....he was excited to discover it & planned on using the correction for
his next inservice lesson with techs.
They also had to walk me through the process of getting my number lock key
to stay on when I reboot the pc. Little stuff like this makes me think it
was not set up right from the factory.

Thanks again. I will anxiously await your opinions on the messages given
above.

Will head to Google to search for some knowledge on WP. I've learned a ton
of stuff just reading here, so I thank you for making this site available.

"Pop" wrote:

> [...]
> -- I suspect, don't know, that it's a conflict with WP preventing it from
> installing somehow if it really won't install the HTML features.
> -- IF, and only IF, you know how to reinstall WP, and you still can't get
> 97 installed right, try using Add/Remove to remove WP. THEN try installing
> Word97.
> -- Don't forget to turn your antivirus back on!
>
> Come on back with as much detail as you can get together. Remember, we're
> not sitting in front of your machine and need your guidance in order to
> assist.
>
> Best advice, in my opinion, assuming WP can do web pages: Learn WP, and
> find a WP usergroup to get help. It's the cleanest way.
> Do not succumb to any temptation or suggestion to get or try a later version
> of WORD: It'll consuse you worse than WP, or at least as much!

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 1:41:08 PM

Just to bump this up & add a little info.

I spoke with Dell regarding my displeasure with getting WordPerfect Office
installed instead of MS Word as I requested. They are sending out a CD of MS
Works Suite 2005. I am hoping this will work without conflict with the XP
system & the WP Office.

Should I un-install my Works Suite 99 and my Word 97 programs before putting
in the new CD?

"Rettabug" wrote:

> [...]
> > -- I suspect, don't know, that it's a conflict with WP preventing it from
> > installing somehow if it really won't install the HTML features.
> > -- IF, and only IF, you know how to reinstall WP, and you still can't get
> > 97 installed right, try using Add/Remove to remove WP. THEN try installing
> > Word97.
> > -- Don't forget to turn your antivirus back on!
> >
> > Come on back with as much detail as you can get together. Remember, we're
> > not sitting in front of your machine and need your guidance in order to
> > assist.
> >
> > Best advice, in my opinion, assuming WP can do web pages: Learn WP, and
> > find a WP usergroup to get help. It's the cleanest way.
> > Do not succumb to any temptation or suggestion to get or try a later version
> > of WORD: It'll consuse you worse than WP, or at least as much!

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 5:42:59 PM

You can run all three OK.

> [...]
>> > -- IF, and only IF, you know how to reinstall WP, and you still can't
>> > get
>> > 97 installed right, try using Add/Remove to remove WP. THEN try
>> > installing
>> > Word97.
>> > -- Don't forget to turn your antivirus back on!
>> >
>> > Come on back with as much detail as you can get together. Remember,
>> > we're
>> > not sitting in front of your machine and need your guidance in order to
>> > assist.
>> >
>> > Best advice, in my opinion, assuming WP can do web pages: Learn WP,
>> > and
>> > find a WP usergroup to get help. It's the cleanest way.
>> > Do not succumb to any temptation or suggestion to get or try a later
>> > version
>> > of WORD: It'll consuse you worse than WP, or at least as much!

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:55:47 AM

"Rettabug" <Rettabug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just to bump this up & add a little info.
>
> I spoke with Dell regarding my displeasure with getting WordPerfect Office
> installed instead of MS Word as I requested. They are sending out a CD of
> MS
> Works Suite 2005. I am hoping this will work without conflict with the XP
> system & the WP Office.
>
> Should I un-install my Works Suite 99 and my Word 97 programs before
> putting
> in the new CD?

Yes. Although to uninstalling both Suite 99 and Word 97. Although they can
coexist, there are some back level issues when spanning a generation gap
that large.

--
Walter Clayton
March 11, 2005 4:22:27 PM

> You can run all three OK.

That is true, but ... there is a general sequence to get them to live
together stably. As a rule, the newer software has to be installed last.
IFF WP is bothering the word97 install, then WP might have to be removed in
order to install Word97. I did same in win98, and it continues to be the
same in XP Home and Pro versions, Word97 and Word 2002, which I also now
have.
The only caveat I would have is, I only have direct experience with win98
and XP Pro and home for Word97/Word 2002; I don't know about earlier windows
versions or how those might work with XP, for sure. I suspect, but don't
know, that the situation would be the same.

As far as I know, Works and/or 97 would have to be installed while WP.
being more current, was NOT installed, and then install the more current
software.
I'm mildly confused though, as to why WP would conflict the MS Word. If
WP is causing the problem, then it would seem to be something with "common"
files or libraries or maybe a Registry entry, which is the reason for the
sequencing with MS programs. So there must be a similar problem with XP.

FWIW, anyway.

Pop
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 4:12:12 AM

Rettabug wrote:
> Hi,
> I am struggling with setting up my new Dell. Just wasted 45 min. on hold
> with their help line. *sigh*.
> I created my webpage using MS Word 97. PC arrived with Word Perfect Office
> installed. I cannot seem to understand the "MS Word Mode" in the WP Office
> so I installed my old CD of MS Word 97....it would not let me install "html"
> something? sorry..forgot to write it down. Installation would complete if
> "html" was not checked to install.
> Is the old MS Word 97 not compatable with Windows XPs2?
>
> When I open my homepage in MS Word 97, none of my pictures show up & the
> columns are all to the left side. I just know this must be ignorance on my
> part but I can't figure out how to make it look like before! I'm scared to
> upload the edited page via Ace FTP for fear of crashing my website, which DID
> happen once when I used an outdated Frontpage.
>
> Should I just go out & buy Frontpage & start all over from scratch?
> Thanks in advance for any & all help on the subject.

It must be some application that's conflicting with Word 97, because I
had no problems installing Office 97 Pro with the html functions on this
Windows XP Home system.
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 6:19:41 PM

SP2 is blocking the html components.
"RobertVA" <Robert_c72nospam@hottmail.com> wrote in message
> Rettabug wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am struggling with setting up my new Dell. Just wasted 45 min. on
hold
> > with their help line. *sigh*.
> > I created my webpage using MS Word 97. PC arrived with Word Perfect
Office
> > installed. I cannot seem to understand the "MS Word Mode" in the WP
Office
> > so I installed my old CD of MS Word 97....it would not let me install
"html"
> > something? sorry..forgot to write it down. Installation would complete
if
> > "html" was not checked to install.
> > Is the old MS Word 97 not compatable with Windows XPs2?
> >
> > When I open my homepage in MS Word 97, none of my pictures show up & the
> > columns are all to the left side. I just know this must be ignorance on
my
> > part but I can't figure out how to make it look like before! I'm scared
> > upload the edited page via Ace FTP for fear of crashing my website,
which DID
> > happen once when I used an outdated Frontpage.
> >
> > Should I just go out & buy Frontpage & start all over from scratch?
> > Thanks in advance for any & all help on the subject.
>
> It must be some application that's conflicting with Word 97, because I
> had no problems installing Office 97 Pro with the html functions on this
> Windows XP Home system.
May 26, 2005 6:19:42 PM

I had problems installing VS.Net after installing SP2 - I try to tell myself
that it is useful so I have it but it does create problems.

Locke

!